GM Financial Reviews | Glassdoor

US - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

3.2
Daniel E. Berce

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work-life balance is not only dependent on individual Managers but is encouraged institutionally" (in 29 reviews)

• "Great benefits and the hr team really cares about you" (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • "The schedule offers no work/life balance" (in 11 reviews)

• "Limited room for advancement at my site, Chandler AZ" (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fantastic Place to Work"

Current Employee - Risk Analyst in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Risk Analyst in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at GM Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture, Flexible Hours, Steady Workload, Respect, Great Benefits, Lots of PTO, Fun Atmosphere, Welcoming Upper Management, Opportunity to Move Up, Coding Freedom

Cons

Meeting Happy at Times, Not Fond of Remote Work, Tight Deadlines for Some Teams, Breakroom is Open and Can Get Loud

2. "Nice pace and atmosphere"

Current Employee - Senior Analytics Scientist in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Analytics Scientist in Detroit, MI

I have been working at GM Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

beautiful workplace, active work pace

Cons

commute can be a problem

3. "Great job :)"

Current Employee - Collections in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Collections in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at GM Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are friendly and helpful . Team leaders and AVP’s actually care about their staff . Quarterly bonuses ! Where else can you start @ 16.00 an hour with full , decent benefits and time off on the books right out of training ? The building is very well kept. Cafeteria serves super yummy food and there’s a snack bar area too. Sometimes they provide catered lunch or cake . They work with March of Dimes and Salvation Army and also give 8 paid hrs a quarter for volunteer time .

Cons

3td floor is hot in the summer . We all dress super casual so we don’t melt . Staff are often moved around which is a PITA but I’m sure they have their reasons . Chairs are old and uncomfortable . Being in a cubicle for 8 hours can make a person crazy .

Advice to Management

Get better toilet paper please .
    More handicapped parking is needed .

4. "Credit Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at GM Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Clean office. Great benefits. Great office culture. Great VP. VP really seems invested in the well being and success of the employees.

Cons

Work is not engaging or challenging. Not much room for development. Very conservative office. Comments made by some employees and managers are often very offensive and demeaning to minorities. Awful work schedule. Weekends. Long work days. not much flexibility.

Advice to Management

Increase diversity for management and office culture. minorities in the office do no feel valued or respected.

GM Financial Response

Aug 2, 2018 – Social media manager

We would welcome the chance to discuss further. If you would be willing to offer more details, please reach out to Shunda Robinson, Vice President for Diversity and Inclusion, at... More

5. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at GM Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love the culture of the company

Cons

I wish we didn't have late night shifts

"An absolutely soul-crushing endeavor."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at GM Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Break rooms were nice. Employees are generally really good and collegial .

Cons

Nearly everything else. I've never experienced such a culture where executives are favored so disproportionately over employees. The training of new/young executives is subpar at best, however, they do seem to have a level of indoctrination that is admirable. The pressures of the department I was in were insane, making the job extremely undervalued and the pay insufficient. When hired, 40 hours were indicated as the requirement, but the reality was that they wanted you working non-stop, taking work home with you, working on the weekends, and dedicating your life to the company - with no clear-cut goals or benchmarks. The AVP and SVP worked around the clock and anything short of that effort by employees was frowned upon. Entry level supervisors were working 12+ hours, just to keep up.

Pay is based on 40 hours, and you often work 60+ just to keep up because they aren't properly staffed. If you fall behind, the wick gets turned up, and leadership increases the pressure. In my case, there were constant sniping comments, pointed and aggressive statements made regarding my age, and increased demands against nebulous goals that all worked together to create a hostile work environment.

I left because I was being targeted. My resignation resulted in my AVP contacting friends of mine to inform them what a piece of garbage I was, and going as far as blaming his personal issues on my resignation. The AVP was extremely moody, aggressive, controlling, and un-compassionate. If you like walking on eggshells, then this is a great environment for you.

Beyond that, the promises made in my interview(s) about potential career trajectory were way off base. I took a lower position than I should have to get my foot in the door, only to realize what a mistake that was, and that 18-24 months to return to an executive position was more like 6+ years. Attempting to transfer out of my department was also frowned upon, and often met with serious resistance. Thus, stepping out of the company was the path of least resistance versus disappointing the powers that be.

The benefits are also mediocre and a bit hazy. Expect to spend over 10% of your income on premiums and out of pocket expenses. Or better yet, just go to another company that values their employees.

Advice to Management

In a time when companies are seeking to establish more employee engagement, more work-life balance, and more freedom for the employees, it felt like the direct opposite here. I was working for people that were in way over their head, lacked leadership & people skills, and had an entire department constantly updating their resumes and looking elsewhere. The "leadership" needs to be addressed. The pettiness needs to be addressed. The pay needs to be addressed. I recognize that I came into a position that I was a bad fit for, however, as a former (and current) executive, I've learned a lot about managing people and was blown away at how poorly it was done at GMF.

"Full of crap and liars"

Former Employee - Account Modification Specialist in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Account Modification Specialist in Arlington, TX

I worked at GM Financial (Less than a year)

Pros

Overtime and spreads almost near everyday

Cons

Life and work balance....you won't have a life but they expect you there from sun up to sun down.

Advice to Management

You need to know your staff. Majority single mothers. Leads and Management are husbands and wives...

"Poor Leaders, overpaid underskilled workers, interoffice politics"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Arlington, TX

I worked at GM Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The annual bonuses, the PTO, Interoffice perks -- employee car discount, free stuff, typical fear tactics to keep people on the hamster wheel.

Cons

In the funding originations dept of IT the teams have a small majority that came from Americredit that are a waste of flesh, because they're so smart but they hog information and create a pyramid work. This company has thee worst PMO office I've ever worked for, and managers steal ideas and then fire you. I'm pretty sure that there are ppl who engage in unprofessional relationships together inside the company too and it causes office rifts because its managers and senior professionals sleeping with mid level employees to cover it up. They also always had broken products, literally every other week something was broken.

Advice to Management

Hire some real managers, and if someone doesn't have work but they have skill or a fearful spineless boss, move them to a weaker team. Don't delete my review again....people are going to work for you because you will hire them but stop hiring people and fire some of those whack managers.

9. "Senior recruiter was very unprofessional and racist"

Current Employee - Coustomer Service Represintative I in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Coustomer Service Represintative I in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at GM Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Never employed with them and will never

Cons

There are some positive feedback depending on management

Advice to Management

Fire Amy

"Good starting point"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at GM Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits , causal dress code

Cons

lack of communication , lack of recognition