GNC Reviews in Kansas City, MO | Glassdoor

2.3
GNC CEO Michael Archbold
Michael Archbold

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You have the ability to learn a lot during down time (in 71 reviews)

• The employee discount is also a very nice asset (in 117 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no respect for lower ranks (in 118 reviews)

• Heavy emphasis on meeting sales goals (in 110 reviews)

1. "Good Job For College Students"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Kansas City, MO

I worked at GNC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Endless Commission
    Free Time
    Low Stress
    Independence

Cons

Low Hourly Pay
    Retail Hours
    Work Weekends

Advice to Management

Improve on training, Worry less About eating sales goals and more about helping customers

2. "Good job while in school"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Overland Park, KS

I worked at GNC part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy job
    Decent Commission
    Flexible Hours
    Easy Sales
    Promotes physical fitness

Cons

Lazy Management
    Unqualified Management
    Promote from within, regardless of work ethic or education

Advice to Management

Hire qualified individuals to create a strong team and pay them adequately.

"Sales Associate"

Former Employee - GNC Sales Associate in Leawood, KS
    Former Employee - GNC Sales Associate in Leawood, KS

Pros

There is commission (sometimes)
    You will learn a great deal about the supplement industry if you apply yourself
    It's easy to move up to manager if you were to apply yourself, as well as put in the time

Cons

Way to pushy on sales
    Managers don't have a fiduciary duty to the customer. ("guys we have to hit our store goal. Sell, Sell Sell!!)
    Managers aren't trained in supplements, they are sales people so they don't always recommend the right product to customers.
    Definalty not someplace you want to stay forever

Advice to Management

It will be hard to adjust to the new regulation that is sure to hit the supplement industry in the next few years. Tread lightly, It's very possible that GNC could go out of business if the regulation is strict enough.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Franchise Store Manager in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Franchise Store Manager in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at GNC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed work environment, decent hours, discount on all of the supplements, good management experience, not micromanaged for the most part

Cons

Salary pay can be a negative when the work load exceeds 40/ up to 57 hours a week, minimal bonus structure

Advice to Management

Make sure to stay on top of customer requests and product margin; average sale can vary depending on the location you are working at

"Pro"

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Overland Park, KS

Pros

Great people to work with, you get a pretty good discount off their products which are very high quality

Cons

They have a lot of measures that you have to meet which is frustrating, they also really want you to stay with the company any grow but i was just a part time employee

Advice to Management

They need to realize that their sales associates are trained to be pushy and that is a bad thing because it really does deter a lot of customers from coming into the store at all.

"Worst job I have ever had."

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at GNC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Employee discount. Nothing else to say nice about the job.I can't come up with the 20 words needed to fill in the pro column.

Cons

Woman are treated differently than men and paid less to do the same job. Usually about 20% less. Most people that move up in the company are men...woman are overlooked. Even when the woman do a better job. Lots of favoritism and sexual harassment from upper management. Goals are unrealistic and increase constantly. Many RSD's are overworked and can't do the job they are supposed to. You never get a weekend off and if you have an appointment or plans on your day off and someone calls in sick, you are expected to cancel your plans and cover for them. Small staff, poor pay. You are expected to do EVERYTHING including stripping and waxing the floors, washing windows and cleaning bathrooms. If air conditioning or furnace do not work or water is leaking into the store, it can be months and in some cases years before the company will spend the money to make repairs. No lunch breaks or breaks of any kind. If you have to go to the bathroom you must hold it or try to go as fast as you can between customers. No individuality allowed. Like robots, all customers must be given the same speech...on the phone or in person. Holidays paid for full time employees if you can get anyone else to work. After you have worked for the company for any length of time it is hard to be taken seriously by other companies when looking for a new job. Very little training. Written warnings and the threat of being fired are used as training tools.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. If employees were treated well you wouldn't have so much theft and turnover.

"If you want to be overworked and underpaid, GNC is the place for you."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Lees Summit, MO
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Lees Summit, MO

Pros

It is very difficult in many of my past jobs to get into management. At GNC they are always looking for new managers because of the high turnover so getting a store management position is easy. I work alone most of the time and do not have to share commision when working alone. As a manager I make the schedule so for the most part I am able to schedule myself so that I can go to any appointments (i.e. doctor, dentist, etc.) without having to use a vacation day to do so.

Cons

High turnover rate in part-time employees. Most stores run shorthanded when an employee quits or is fired. No lunch hours. Because GNC gives each store so few clerical hours, it is almost impossible to eat, go to the bathroom, etc. The management levels above store managers are so overwhelmed that they do not have time to deal with issues on a store level. If you need to even speak to upper management, you may wait days for them to answer your calls. As a store manager you might think that I simply manage...no, I do everything from waiting on customers to putting away freight, mopping and waxing floors and washing windows. GNC refuses to pay for those things. Too many cheifs and not enough indians. I will have one person in upper management tell me to do something one way and then am told by another that I did it wrong. One hand doesn't know what the other is doing. Very few woman in upper management. That may be because woman are too smart to be as overworked as men will allow. The longer you work and the more you prove yourself, the smaller your yearly raises are.

Advice to Management

RSD's need to be over fewer stores so that they are not spread so thin. Quit giving us stupid little certificates for a job well done, instead give us bonuses or prizes.

Showing 7 of 1,558 reviews