GNC Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
GNC CEO Michael Archbold
Michael Archbold

Pros
Cons
  • Don't really see upper management caring a whole lot about lower employees (in 112 reviews)

• Too much stress to hit certain sales goals (in 103 reviews)

"A horrible management experience"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at GNC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have great, bright part-timers who consistently try to improve themselves

Cons

The company culture is exceedingly negative. The only motivation for trying to meet the (ridiculous) sales goals is to avoid harassment from your RSD. You literally are required to inquire about 6 different purchases with each customer other than what the customer actually wants.

1. You want Tumeric? You Should take Triflex with it.
    2. Are you a member? Let me get your email so you can get cash back points?
    3. Are you a pro-access member? It's a program where you get a discount one day each quarter for an extra $40 right now.
    4. Have you tried a sample of Beyond Raw? It's a great protein and is only $60...Would you like this?
    5. If you are Hungry, these fitjoy bars are really good...Would you like one?
    6. Are you needing a second Turmeric?

It is truly an absurd set of expectations to force in employees and an uncomfortable exchange for customers. You will be secret shopped, harassed, listen to negative conference calls, pointed out as a failure on various spreadsheets, be blamed for theft, and so much more. All for $12 an hour as a MANAGER

Advice to Management

Maybe you need to realize that front line employees do better when they aren't totally demoralized...

"Terrible Company to work for."

Current Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at GNC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love being able to help customers with their health and fitness needs,

Cons

No where near enough training for the important information that customers require. You have no life away from work as the demands of management, constant texts from your boss and conference calls every day will fill anytime off away from the store you may think you have.
    No pay for the job. One of the worse paying retail management jobs you can get.
    No support from you boss. Almost never available and will not return your calls.
    "Flavor of the month demands." Forcing you to push on your customers either products or programs they do not need or want. This will change evry month and it gets old real fast.

Advice to Management

Look in the mirror. What have you done to teach, train and elevate your store managers?
    Do you even care about customer service or if the customer is happy with their purchases and the great assistance they received from associates??
    Highest retail turn over! Does this mean anything to you?

3. "not recommended"

I worked at GNC full-time

Pros

had good manager and good location

Cons

too many to name. You can see from the company's recent promotion of its recent changes that they knew there was much wrong with the operations.

Advice to Management

No advice.

"Worst Job Ever"

I worked at GNC part-time

Pros

Literally none aside from discounted products

Cons

Everything about this organization sucked.

"Struggling company desperate to find a magic solution"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at GNC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Employee discounts, some good people still remain.

Cons

Company is close to insolvency. Environment is very cut throat now as employees struggle to spend 90% effort to focus on something impacting 5%. Real Estate Dept opened far too many stores which killed sales for other GNC stores around it.

Advice to Management

You lost much of your good talent to new employees from Gamestop and Hallmark. You need to reevaluate your assets and ask why, if the company is not performing, why bring people over from other struggling companies? GNC has a very poor industry repuation these days. Vendors hate them and nobody wants to touch them.

"The end is near."

I worked at GNC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I was with the company for 10 years. I worked my way up from the sales associate position in college to the Regional level, where I made a real career for myself and learned more about business and multi-unit management than I ever would have had I gone to grad school. I'm proud of the work my teams and I had done and level of success we had. I was with the company at the time it went public and reached its all-time highs. Had some great leaders that I learned a lot from and will always have a great appreciation for those people.

Cons

Lack of consistency and direction has plagued the company for years and it starts from the top. They've recently suffered all time lows in sales and stock prices, and until now their solution has been "the more customers we lose the more we'll raise prices and PUSH product to make up the difference." Clearly that solution has resulted in failure.

The previous CEO had many initiatives that they failed to deliver on. One being employee pay and commission structure. Sales associates are currently paid less than minimum wage, and this is "justified" by the commissions they're paid. However, the biggest issue in all of this that GNC isn't actually paying the commission, rather they're having 3rd party vendors pay the associates promotional money for selling their brand. This creates an agenda based selling culture of "baiting and switching" the customer and force-selling commission products only. The company has become reliant on this as its allowed them to underpay store level employees for many years. Getting around this now would result in a huge loss to the company, and after talking about the last two and years they've still done nothing.

Their "New" change and pricing structure -- which was launched at the end of 2016 -- is a good change but it's just too little too late. This should've happened 8 years ago. They're still not beating vitamin shoppe prices and are doing nothing to prevent customers from shopping online. Think back to Blockbuster Video when they changed their video return poloicy to no late fees AFTER Netflix and redbox overthrew them.

They're a long ways away from fixing their broken company. 3 CEOs in 3 years. I see the them going private soon, as their stock is down to nearly $6 a share. It was $60 just 3 years ago.

When I think "great change" I think of the Apple turn around. Years of being destroyed by Bill Gates and suddenly they make the iPod and the rest is history. This is no iPod, GNC. This is like an overpriced knockoff of an outdated kindle trying to compete with the latest version of the iPad.

I do hope it improves. I don't want to see GNC be the next Blockbuster, Kmart, or RadioShack. I spent 10 years of my career there and have a lot of friends there including you. But the reality is:

1. Retail is dying!

2. Has been vastly over priced compared to its brick and mortar competition till now.

3. The recent changes are good but still not good enough against B&M competition.

4. Still no solution to stop online shopping.

5. Too many old stores that are in poor condition and not desirable to customers (vitamin shoppe stores are really nice!).

6. Flagship stores are inside of malls which are all dying across the country.

7. Trying to sell more stores to franchisees with a broken franchise model.

8. Franchisees are getting overcharged for product, causing them to overcharge customers.

If someone is considering joining this company I would highly recommend looking elsewhere.

"IT SUCKS"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Sandy, UT
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Sandy, UT

I have been working at GNC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The customers are fun and you can learn allot

Cons

They suck as a company !! I was almost raped in the store and they got mad at me for being scared, And they told me that I was replaceable, and when I had a major facial surgery they wanted me to close that night of the surgery and open the next day. And did not care that I could not talk and was on anesthesia. and you only get paid 7.25

Advice to Management

Be better and care about your employees and there safety, and well being

9. "Avoid if possible"

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at GNC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None that I am currently aware of.

Cons

Low pay, manipulative upper management, ridiculous goals that change arbitrarily, upper management's inability to understand how math works sets most locations to failure.

Advice to Management

Learn math.

10. "Associates"

Pros

Management is chill, depending who.

Cons

cheap. sales driven, they don't care about you. Forced to push crappy GNC products for low commission.

11. "Company has some serious problems."

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at GNC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to help people make positive changes in their lives.

Cons

The company claims they want to help people and not sell them what they don't need, yet it's all about the numbers, and what product are we pushing this week! Sales contests aren't really contests, it's cross the finish line or be punished. The pay is sub par and the procedures are antiquated.

Advice to Management

Quit focusing on your bottom line and focus on your people.

Showing 200 of 1,412 reviews