KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

GNY Insurance Companies Reviews

Updated Apr 19, 2022

Found 78 of over 82 reviews

3.9
GNY Insurance Companies  Chairman, President and CEO Elizabeth Heck (no image)
Elizabeth Heck

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Bad pay, terrible office, micromanagement.(in 5 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0

Good Company

Mar 23, 2022 - Claim Examiner Trainee
    Business Outlook

Pros

There is good Work life balance.

Cons

Limited technology compared to larger insurance companies.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great Company

Mar 1, 2022 - Senior Underwriter in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good Leadership Care about their employees Support and autonomy to make decisions Pension

Cons

There is not a lot of room for growth

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Fantastic Company

Oct 27, 2021 - Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people I work with are incredible, both my team and boss are extremely are supportive and want you to be successful. My coworkers are always willing to help and have been very patient as I continue to learn .The organization focuses on the betterment of its employees by offering tuition reimbursement and trainings, through employee engagement events and by matching charitable donations throughout the year.

Cons

No cons come to mind

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Top-notch company to develop your career at

Aug 29, 2020 - Underwriter in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

GNY is one of the best players in the niche markets it operates in and is currently in rapid-growth mode. The company has been expanding its geographical footprint and significantly growing its book the last few years, all while maintaining its deeply-rooted culture of underwriting discipline and financial stability. Management has done a excellent job launching the century-old company forward to be more integrated and tech-enabled. Colleagues are pleasant to work with, knowledgeable and highly team-oriented. Effort and results are recognized and there is ample room for advancement. New compensation/performance review program implemented since last year; pay has become more competitive and you are proportionately rewarded for your contributions. Student loan pay down program, 6% 401k match, DB plan, education reimbursement, solid PTO, FSA, etc. Location: If you're a city person: it's the middle of Midtown, need I say more? If you're a 9-5-Home person, location is highly accessible by PT: Grand Central/Penn are a quick 10 minute walk away. You'll also NEVER run out of food options.

Cons

- Consecutive years of double-digit growth has strained work life balance. Process optimizations & new hires have somewhat helped to alleviate this.

3 people found this review helpful
  5. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

On-the-Go Training, Ok Pay, Ok Benefits but BURNT-OUT

Mar 22, 2021 - Claims Examiner Trainee in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very supportive Coworkers; Diverse Culture :) On-the-Go Training (Not formal) , Ok Pay, Ok Benefits (Pre Tax Commute, Student Loan Paydown Plan with Gradifi, Aetna Med and Dent) 5 /+ yr pension program

Cons

This is my first and last time doing insurance claims. I'm burnt-out Training wasn't hands on enough and I still don't know how to resolve complex situations and how to negotiate with attorneys I still feel like I don't know what I'm doing. I'm more depressed than when I started Very little advancement

6. 4.0
    Current Employee

Not the worst company to work for

Feb 5, 2021 - N/A in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Decent work from home policy

Cons

Company can be slow to change

7. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

CIA like environment

Mar 28, 2021 - Claims Assistant
    Business Outlook

Pros

Employees are good and bad like every place

Cons

supervisor/manager have favorites and everyone else gets left behind

8. 2.0
    Former Employee

Look elsewhere

Jan 3, 2021 - Underwriting
    Business Outlook

Pros

It is a laid back company

Cons

Sexist company Men are all they promote and usually only promote caucasian people. Hard work never pays off they use you and give you pennies for a raise.

1 person found this review helpful
  9. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Easy going work environment.

Jan 31, 2021 - Receptionist in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

very fair work environment and supported by management.

Cons

Could update the computer and phone system for efficiency.

10. 5.0

Job searching

Oct 17, 2020 - Environmental Health and Safety Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Found a job I was interested in

Cons

Hard to find not good with computers

Viewing 1 - 10 of 78 Reviews

GNY Insurance Companies Reviews FAQs

GNY Insurance Companies has an overall rating of 3.9 out of 5, based on over 82 reviews left anonymously by employees. 64% of employees would recommend working at GNY Insurance Companies to a friend and 65% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 9% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, GNY Insurance Companies employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.6 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at GNY Insurance Companies. This rating has improved by 13% over the last 12 months.

64% of GNY Insurance Companies employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated GNY Insurance Companies 3.6 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.8 for culture and values and 3.3 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at GNY Insurance Companies to be career development, management, benefits and the cons to be senior leadership, compensation.

Popular Careers with GNY Insurance Companies Job Seekers