GQ Barber Lounge Reviews | Glassdoor

GQ Barber Lounge Reviews

3.1
Bill Chrismer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Beautiful shop in the heart of LoDo"

Current Employee - Barber/Instructor
    Current Employee - Barber/Instructor

I have been working at GQ Barber Lounge part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Busy shop with plenty of opportunity for a motivated barber or cosmetologist to build client base and make a good income in the downtown Denver.

Cons

My only issue is parking which is something that you cannot avoid and there is the light rail option.

2. "Absolutely the worst!!In everyway..Total nightmare!!!"

I worked at GQ Barber Lounge full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

NONE!!!!Felt like being in an abusive relationship everyday at work.Owner is completely insane on his best day!

Cons

Worst experience of my life!!!Words can’t do how bad working in this hellhole was!

3. "The opportunities are here!"

Current Employee - Education Director in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Education Director in Denver, CO

I have been working at GQ Barber Lounge full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Upscale barber shop; a boss who cares; a tight employee family; efforts are recognized; fair pay; in LODO; great overall environment!

Cons

Parking can be a task but the lightrail is very close!

Advice to Management

Keep up the level of customer and employee service!

4. "A place that truly cares about you"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at GQ Barber Lounge full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Attentive leadership team. Owner involved and on site. Great product lines always in stock. Great book of clients. Understanding and compassionate regarding life outside of work too. Best location in Denver.

Cons

Location also has its downfalls...parking!

5. "Barber"

I worked at GQ Barber Lounge part-time

Pros

There are no good things to say about working here

Cons

Owner is irresponsible and crazy, unorganized and broke. Offered to give $20 cash each day we didnt deposit our paychecks? Bounced checks, snooty employees, awful haircuts given by others..oh an expensive parking..no thanks

Advice to Management

Manage your priorities, get your life together

6. "Owner is very unprofessional and treats employees with disrespect. Doesn't pay his bills or paychecks on time"

Current Employee - Barber in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Barber in Denver, CO

I have been working at GQ Barber Lounge full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing. Owner makes working here difficult and stressful he is about spending money on alcohol and not cleaning his shop. It's filthy and I would never get a haircut here.

Cons

Owner is very arrogant and likes to gossip about others. He normally is in the wrong but finds as many ways to make him look good when it's his leadership that fails miserably.

Advice to Management

Lost cause at this point

"Best salon to work for"

Current Employee - Manager & Barber in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Manager & Barber in Denver, CO

I have been working at GQ Barber Lounge full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly team-oriented culture. Fun, professional work environment. Great clientele.

Cons

Working downtown can be difficult and expensive.

"Warning: don't waste your time and energy using your talent and skills to make this place any money!"

Former Employee - Cosmetologist/Barber in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Cosmetologist/Barber in Denver, CO

I worked at GQ Barber Lounge full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed my experience when I first started working there. Once the veil lifted, in hindsight, there were no pros to working here.

Cons

Pay checks bouncing, not just my own but many people I worked with had this problem. No air conditioning for over a week in the middle of summer, over 94 degrees inside the building. I had clients walk in and immediately turn around and walk out, business men with enormous pit stains due to the sweating that took place in my chair. All while owner and "manager" sat in the nice air conditioning at union station. Often times no hot water had to give clients icy cold shampoos. Male barber and cosmetologist were paid 3x's the female employees who had more experience and larger clientele. Never paid for staff meetings (which is illegal) despite them providing breakfast. Commission only yet had to sit for 2 hours listening to the owner go on and on about nothing. All without getting paid. Many people fired with no real cause. Toward the end we were bringing in our own paper towels because basic items weren't being ordered. My clients would arrive to inform me the owner had been their uber driver the previous evening. Fair warning to all, do not work here!!!

Advice to Management

Get out of this line of business. We deserve better in this industry.

"Front desk coordinator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at GQ Barber Lounge full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Loved the people I worked with, made lasting friendships, the environment when the owner wasn't freaking out about finances was great...as long as we all got paid.

Cons

Every single pay check I got had bounced or the bank (his bank) would simply not cash it. Mismanaged funds over the years had burned all bridges that gave a possibility of another person to invest to keep us afloat, anyone that saw our financials withdrew their help. Several product companies stopped allowing us to purchase supplies due to hefty amounts of money being past due. The owner was quick to buy lots of top shelf whiskey for customers to consume complimentary, yet more than half the staff could not cash their checks. He ran around stressed out,pissed off and half the time he was Drunk during the stores OPEN hours. He reprimanded me and a fellow employee by telling us a story of how he self mutilated himself on his arm when he was a toddler to get his way...mind you he was drinking while he was acting out this frightening childhood tale in front of us. Then he would randomly and impulsively fire staff to ensure other staff members would have their checks clear. In fact he knowingly wrote bad checks every two weeks to us and then he would stop payment on some and let others go through, depending on the importance of their position. He has had MULTIPLE walk outs where he was left with five people from 20 something. He completely got rid of the front desk positions because once again he couldn't pay anyone. He had apprentices working before their final certification and quickly expedited their cost from 42 to 60$ just to try and come up, never mind they had next to no experience on the floor. He then got rid of all memberships to customers, loyal customers who have been with them for years, ripping the rug out from underneath them, AND not offering any sort of deal or compensation for them going forward. There were numerous things in this shop that go against not only safety and food codes but state board would shut them down in a heart beat if they set foot in there. Now I'm the midst of his financial crisis he decided to expand to next door where he wants to open everything from a restaurant to a conference center...yet he cannot pay his staff, nor the contractor that is a stylists father that is cutting him a Huge deal, and he had dodged the contactor's calls regarding payment multiple times. You never felt like you had job security ever, if u weren't worried about your check clearing, then you were worried about losing your job that day because he was so impulsive with the finances. His negative energy spread throughout the store on a daily basis and put everyone on edge. Nobody can figure out where all of this company's money is going!!! It's so busy and expensive yet nobody would get paid, he has been regularly accused of being a drug addict or alcoholic by the building owner (who had known him over a decade) staff both past and present etc. Scary enough it was him who told us of these accusations during a meeting...not the sort of thing to tell your already stressed out staff that was already suspecting those things as well. I adored the owner at first and mistook his idiosyncrasies as quirky at first, until everything unfolded. There was a huge walk out right before I was hired, and had I known that I would not have set foot into that place. Furthermore, he hired me immediately BEFORE even interviewing me because he "liked my look" I requested an interview because I wanted to know about the place before I made my decision. That should have been the first red flag. I've since found new employment where many old GQ barbers have relocated to. The stories I have been told about their experience at GQ was if you can believe it, worse! Even the old owner of the place I'm at now had heard many many things about the GQ owner and when I asked if they were good things he replied "oh no, all bad, it's very sad what I've heard about that man and his business." The fact that his reputation precedes him and not in a good way, says a few things. I'm very happy to be out of there and somewhere where I am not only appreciated, but I'm paid...on time and the energy is fantastic here! I do miss a lot of the barbers and stylists there. I can only hope some of them make it out of there. They are the ones that suffer the most. Once they build their clientele, it's so hard to go somewhere else and start over, a lot of them feel "stuck" there.

Advice to Management

Unfortunately my advice along with decades of other voices that he has trampled on a long the way, will go unheard and on deaf ears. My advice is and was for that man to find his integrity. There is nothing more disgusting and disgraceful in the workplace (other than harassment) to knowingly write bad checks to the very people that have kept you shop open. Those very people who are single moms, have four kids, take care of their parents etc. These same people who could not afford to pay their rent or buy food for themselves and their family. But the owner always made sure that he had those things and that he had ten damn different whiskeys in the bar...he was more interested in entertaining the clients and creating this visage so that customers could see what was really going on, which is being on the verge of completely losing the business. He needs to teach deep inside of himself and find that integrity and grow a pair. Unfortunately too many things have taken place with that man and his "ideas", lack of morals,dignity and respect are far from redemption. Steer clear my friends and check out other places, I wish I had. This is the first time I have ever left a review on glass door.,but I felt it was important to ward people before they got in too deep. STAY CLEAR!!!

"Absolute worst boss I have ever had. I only chose one star bc you have to. If not I would have used 0 stars"

Former Employee - Barber in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Barber in Denver, CO

I worked at GQ Barber Lounge full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was able to create long lasting relationships with my clients. When bill reads this he will probably credit himself for me having great client retention, which is just the kind of narcissist he is, not because I give great haircuts.

Cons

Where to start.....
    1. The place is crawling with roaches.
    2. Your checks will bounce. I don't know about you, but do not mess with my money.
    3. If you're going to call yourself "The Bentley of barbershops" maybe you should replace all those disgusting broken green velour chairs. Those thing are sooo old! They're an eyesore and should be burned in the alley. The joint looks rundown. Wallpaper peeling, baseboards falling off ( in plain site no less), no real break room. It's a large closet. And the dryer has never worked. In my entire employment there, which was more than a year.
    4. You will constantly run out of: towels, shampoo and conditioner (both backbeat and retail), retail products and backbar products, hot water, A/C and heat...oh and your patience.
    5. When you get hired you will be Bill's shiny new toy. You are going to be promised the world. The best training! 1st to book! You are paraded around as his favorite person. Well sweetheart, it's all lies. Sorry, you're never going to get anything that your promised. You earned a paycheck and you can't even get that. I've been told to wait until the end of the week to go to the bank bc there wasn't any money in the account!!
    Once you've been dumped from being the shiny new arm candy by a different girl or new hire, bc also they can not keep employees to stay the turn over rate is astronomical, you get cold shoulder Bill. This is when he doesn't speak to you for weeks, always glaring at you as if you've done something wrong. Excuse me, but why should I feel scared or nervous when my boss walks in the door when I've done nothing wrong??? You shouldn't, but then again there is the classic narcissist I was talking about earlier.
    Then he goes back to liking you again. Making you feel like an asset to the company. Asking you to go to interviews, having you teach classes (which I was never compensated for...so Bill if you're reading this I would love the $479.56 that you never paid me...), maybe even be a floor manager. You're important again! You might be making more money. But then he realizes how much he's paying you and sorry, but then comes the bad. You get axed for no reason, bc in Colorado you don't have to give your employees a reason for termination, or he pushes you out so hard that you are basically forced to quit. You are left with the most bitter taste in your mouth. The other review is correct, it is most comparable to an abusive relationship. As for the other 4 reviews, those are written by bill. If you've met the man you know this is his verbiage exactly. Good luck with your failing business.
    DO NOT WORK FOR THIS MAN. He is a horrible business man, employer, and human being.