GQR Global Markets Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Steven Talbot

Pros
  • Really fun people to work with - switched on, hard working but don't take themselves too seriously (in 11 reviews)

• You won't find a better commission structure (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Profitable, yes but employee retention/ work life balance/company culture don't rank on their list of priorities (in 7 reviews)

• Really long hours and constant pressure to hit your targets (in 12 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Long Term at GQR Global Markets"

Current Employee - Director in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-> Excellent compensation potential - uncapped commission - industry defining earning potential. We have an array of consultants in each office earning in excess of six figures year in year out, and some approaching seven figures. As a largely young but hungry firm - this is no easy feat and testament to the success of those here to produce this consistently.

-> Meritocratic culture - the ability to be promoted based purely on ability, and not age or when you graduated.

-> Super ambitious - global offices across the world, organic expansion, superb management team, highly driven team leaders, excellent and ever expanding client portfolios.

-> Market Specialists - GQR have some of the very best consultants globally - who aren't just passionate recruiters but experts in their respective markets - which makes a huge difference in terms of generating sustainable client relationships and repeat business.

-> Exposure to the best & brightest - we work at the cutting edge of systematic trading, data, technology - including virtual reality, robotics, augment reality etc.

-> Best Internal Recruitment, Support & Operations Team - we have hired internally some of the very best recruiters from our competitors. In part this is because our internal talent acquisition team is so attuned to identifying top talent, continuing to engage with them and on-boarding them. Our Operations team works incredibly hard to support the business strategically and intelligently across all its ever changing needs. The same can be said for our Global Accounts team who understand the complexities of detailed terms & conditions.

-> Excellent Technology Platform - Our technology is ever improving and largely proprietary. The majority has been specifically customized to our business, in order provide the most efficient and agile recruitment platform. The better becomes, simply the greater this makes our jobs easier to perform effectively.

-> Highest Industry Standards - We headhunt the best candidates that are going to attain the best positions that our client's offer. In turn GQR has some of the highest conversion ratios from headhunts to interviews and placements industry wide. We know how to engage the brightest problem solvers. We can contextualize and guide each candidate through the complete challenges and rewards of said job change, industry transition, visa sponsorship or relocation.

-> Executive Search NOT Spam High Street Recruiters - we're diligent and attentive to our client and candidate needs, where we thoroughly appreciate market discretion is required in order to provide the best service. We work smartly and intelligent to uncover the latest opportunities in the market. We've completed retainers, exclusive searches, and lots of repeat business with Tier 1 firms across Trading, Research, Risk, Big Data, High Performance Technology.

-> Fully Tailored Recruitment Methodologies - we adapt and alter our approach to everyone of our clients and candidates alike. Meaning, we provide a fully customized service that is ever evolving to their needs. One method doesn't fit all and nor we did we work in that manne

Cons

-> In the beginning its a very challenging learn curve - few people out there can perform the multi-tasking, information management, analysis and psychology required to grow and develop into a million dollar biller whom leads their respective market. For those that can, its a constructive challenge and a highly rewarding one. Certainly only the select can make this happen, and its not for everyone.

-> Fast paced and high intensity that is by no means a 9-5 job - to function at the level the best Electronic Hedge Funds, Investment banks, High Tech and Big Data Firms require of us - takes an awful lot of hard work and initiative. This isn't to everyone's taste, skill set or interests; especially when joining the industry afresh. In the truest sense - money doesn't grow on tree's. As much as many like the idea of being affluent and successful - the means to get to this level requires a large amount of commitment, work ethic and intelligence that few can master. There are far easier 9-5 jobs out there for those seeking less or who are less ambitious or driven.

-> High competition - internally and externally in order to perform at this highest level in placing some of the smartest PhD's in the worlds, involves a huge amount of competition. Again, this isn't to everyone's forte - if you're not a competitive

-> Strong Sales Abilities and Business Acumen Absolutely Needed - to make high level placements requires a huge amount of salesmanship from managing expectations, selling an opportunity to those less actively looking for a new job, to negotiating complex salary packages. To do this effectively you need business acumen and sales skills in abundance. Some of this can be taught and optimized but some of it needs to be self-intuitive - where you need to have this mindset. If you don't you will not hit the levels of success inherent in this super competitive industry.

Advice to Management

- Keep listening to your employees.
    - Learn from past mistakes.
    - Stay involved and hands on.
    - Continue to drive the business forward.

GQR Global Markets Response

Aug 9, 2016 – Employee Experience Team

Thank you for your feedback, both positive and negative. At GQR we encourage two way dialogue and so we welcome you to discuss your experience further with us, please contact us at people@gqrgm.com ... More

2. "Amazing opportunity for recent grads"

Current Employee - Associate in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Highly ambitious atmosphere
    - Opportunity for growth
    - Meritocratic structure

Cons

- Rigorous
    - Long hours for recruiters

Advice to Management

None

"Associate"

Pros

The people, commission, fun, travel and other offices

Cons

12 hour work days, money hungry, no work life balance, technology

"Great for people who are extremely motivated and have that drive to succeed"

Pros

Great incentives, strong personalities, diverse backgrounds, motivating environment, fun people. This company embodies the phrase "work hard, play hard"....and then some.

Cons

It's NOT for everyone. You have to be able to keep the bigger picture in mind, otherwise you will burn out. Don't expect to see immediate results.

6. "Hard Work Pays Off"

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great learning experience - no other job right out of university gives you the responsibility and ownership of your work that you get here. Every single person is held responsible for their performance no matter if you've been here 2 days or 2 years. You will learn an insane amount about the market you're recruiting for and have the chance to be a part of that industry. Management is extremely supportive of those who put in the effort and will do what they can to develop you (ask and you shall receive!). We're here long hours but the people here are great, everyone is incredibly smart, hard working, and funny - an awesome group to surround yourself with who genuinely want you to succeed. If you have a sales mentality and the drive to really push yourself, you can crush it here.

Also, fun Thursday happy hours in NYC and cool incentive trips around the country.

Cons

This job is not easy. You will work long hours, you will be stressed, and there is pressure to perform from management. However, in this industry if you can power through all of this and do your job you will make the money and build the network that most people dream of in their 20s. Recruitment at GQR is not for everyone but those that stick it out and actually try do really well for themselves. People often start and think the pressure from management is negative, as someone who didn't have an amazing start I can honestly say they will sit down with you and help you if you ask for it.

If you're looking for a cushy 9-5 job where you can get away with messing around all day, GQR is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your employees - figure out what motivates them and create incentives around this.

"GQR pros and cons"

Former Employee - Associate Recruiter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Recruiter in New York, NY

I worked at GQR Global Markets full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Supportive team environment, kind co-workers, work hard play hard atmosphere

Cons

Long hours, it's hourly pay despite the fact that the company signs you on as salary, no adults to act as mentors, recruitment is not for everyone

Advice to Management

Keep working hard. Act a bit more responsible.

"Startup Environment"

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredibly entrepreneurial environment employed by people who are both competitive and intellectual. Additionally, opportunity to make more money than most twenty-somethings make. The training program is top notch and allows new people to really be setup for success after six weeks. Also, it is a work hard and play hard environment. They encourage team and company building through Thursday nights on their rooftop terrace, team dinners, and mentor-ship programs.

Cons

Really long hours and constant pressure to hit your targets. Even when you are doing well there is additional pressure to do even better than before. It is the reason for the success but not the best environment for those who want more work-life balance or laid back working environments.

Advice to Management

Increase internal communication among different international office locations.

"No sitting back"

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited earning ability
    Autonomy to get on with whatever you think will generate revenue - no micromanagement
    High level of trust
    Working in lucrative markets w/ high level executives from financial and technology industries
    Entrepreneurial
    Excellent training program
    Opportunity to work with smart and like minded individuals

Cons

High pressure
    Long hours
    Strenuous work
    First 6 weeks can be a struggle
    Rapidly growing company so operational procedures can be undefined or change regularly.
    Constant pressure to improve performance. No sitting back even when you are performing

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on bringing the right people on board. We have built an excellent team in NYC based on finding intelligent grads who are keen to learn from experienced consultants in an interesting and fun but driven work environment.

Continue to tweak and improve the training program.

"My 3rd Recruitment Firm"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

An environment that pushes you to constantly improve.
    Great coworkers who share similar motivations & aspirations.
    Compensation for high performers, and high incentives to grow and develop a team.
    The people I work with always surprise me - their work ethic, intelligence, and personality are continuously inspiring.

Cons

The pressure. Although to be expected for a growing and high performing business.
    Constantly being pushed, which is good but can be a challenge day to day.

Advice to Management

Never stop seeking improvement.

GQR Global Markets Response

Aug 9, 2016 – Employee Experience Team

Thank you for your input. GQR certainly pushes employees to the highest of their capabilities, and we do believe the employees who are passionate and committed are most successful here and anywhere ... More

"Senior Associate - 1st Job After College"

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Extremely high earning potential ($100k first year, $150k second year, $200k+ after)

Management opportunities within first 2 years

Collaborative environment, very team oriented.

Really cool offices right by Grand Central with huge roof terrace.

Great quarterly incentive trips

Cons

Long hours when you first start out.

High pressure environment.

Start up environment - occasional issues with IT Support and operational issues. Has improved quite a bit recently, however.

Advice to Management

Continue to be very selective in the hiring process as it contributes to a higher level of performance from the company as a whole and helps continue to bolster our reputation in the marke