GQR Global Markets Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Steven Talbot

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The culture is great, young, social, but hard working individuals who share the same career aspirations as yourself" (in 14 reviews)

• "Earning potential unlike many other entry level roles / careers" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work Life Balance is hindered, this job does require long hours and wouldn't recommend if this is not something you're comfortable with" (in 28 reviews)

• "work/life balance, recruiting isn't for everyone" (in 10 reviews)

"Challenging Work with Exceptional Growth Potential"

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Work -

High Input, High Output.

GQR invests significant time and energy into the onboarding of each employee, so naturally there are high expectations for performance. Working at GQR, you should expect long hours (8 AM - 7 PM is the typical workday, but longer during training) - however, the hours aren't mindless but actually spent doing hard, thoughtful work. And if you work smart and hard, you will make serious money.

The People -

GQR has a fantastic culture that helps motivate and support its employees. While healthy competition is integral to GQR's business, the company's collaborative model encourages employees to work together in order to maximize efficiency and overall earning potential. Having recently started with GQR, I have been wildly impressed by the level of market knowledge each employee demonstrates toward their specific sector.

Everyone is very self-motivated and hard-working, but also exceptionally friendly and supportive. There's a great sense of camaraderie in the NY office, which helps make the work more enjoyable.

The Interviews -

Before interviewing with GQR, I wasn't very interested in the recruiting space. But early on in my interviews, I realized that GQR is and does a lot more than just recruiting - the work can better be understood as recruitment consulting. I worked specifically with Carol from the NY office during my recruitment - her interviews were tough and required serious intellectual and introspective consideration. Before my final round, in-office interview, I came upon GQR's Glassdoor reviews and almost decided to cancel the appt. As you can see from some negative reviews, there are complaints about GQR's credibility, work/life balance, unfair expectations, etc. But it is important to understand that for the most part, these are written by those who were unable to commit to the work or weren't the best cultural fits. I am so glad that I went forward with my final interview because I would've missed out on this opportunity of a lifetime.

The reality is that this type of work is not for everyone. But if you are willing to put in the work, you will reap significant rewards. Yes, the hours are long - but are spent thoughtfully and surrounded by people who are smart, motivated, friendly, and fun. There are also monthly happy hours and frequent networking events on the NY office's rooftop.

Cons

GQR is not for the faint of heart. Having only recently started at GQR, I already feel confident in saying that it takes a certain type of person to truly succeed here. That being said, it is achievable if you have grit. I can't think of any outstanding cons, other than the fact that there is no 401K.

Oct 25, 2018 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to provide your positive feedback. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear you’re enjoying your experience here.

2. "Progressive Firm Taking Steps In The Right Direction But With Some Growing Pains"

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The business makes a lot of room for its employee's ideas, feedback, and experiences.

I personally feel that GQR is taking positive steps to move the business in the right direction towards a more inclusive company culture, setting realistic expectations, and a realization that work/life balance is important... particularly as employees age through the business and have more external priorities and obligations.

It is an organization where highly ambitous and accountable individuals experience the most success. If this does not mirror your own values, it's possible that you will not enjoy working in this environment. Which is entirely ok, but do consider these values before you apply.

Although GQR as a whole has moved out of the "start up" realm, there are areas of the business that very much fit within this framework still. The upside to this is the ability for many in the business to craft their own careers, set their objectives, and work in areas or on projects that are most interesting to them. Of course, taking into consideration what is also mutually beneficial for the business.

The downside is that you must be ok in working through some unknowns.

Having come from another human capital firm that comprised of individuals with far more experience, I continue to be impressed with the level of innovation, intellect, and resourcefulness of the people at GQR... which far surpasses that of my previous organization.

Cons

By in large, the company is quite young. This brings a lot of positive qualities to the business but does have some challenging implications.

It's easy to be critical of leadership, processes, etc. but I think some people fail to realize that many decisions are being crafted by those not much older or with much more experience than themselves. Curious how attitudes would shift if there was a bit more empathy shown on all fronts.

Conversely, it's impressive to see the decisions that are being made for the business as a whole and its people. They aren't always perfect, but the intentions seem to be in the right place.

Advice to Management

Keep moving in the right direction, but remember it's critical for you all to stay in close communication with each other to ensure objectives across the entire business are aligned and properly communicated.

Oct 25, 2018 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to give us your positive feedback.

In your review, you pinpointed values that are most important to our organization: feedback, experiences, innovation, work/life... More

"Sweatshop and Fake Reviews"

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is no dress code. You may dress however you wish.

Cons

First, they will be vague about the work and working conditions. At no point during my hiring process was there any mention of mandatory 12-hour days. My recruiter and interviewers vaguely referenced potential overtime, but not that it was mandatory (is that even legal?). In the Los Angeles-office, the day starts at 7am and goes until at least 7pm, Monday to Friday. During training you will be expected to meet inconsequential KPI’s and in order to do so, you will likely have to work beyond 7pm, in addition to coming in during the weekend. Don’t be surprised if you work 70+ hours a week during training, while doing tedious KPI-work and not earning commission, but still accumulating commission-debt.

The onboarding process reminds me of going to basic training. The sole purpose is to demean you and make you do minutiae. You will be asked to do things such trolling sites like LinkedIn and gathering people’s contact info to enter into their database. However, they’ve already done that thousands of times, so finding new people to enter is next-to-impossible, hence you’ll be working ridiculous hours to meet that particular KPI.
    Another borderline-unethical onboarding practice is they’ll have you cold-call people and pitch them on non-existent jobs in order to gather resumes for their database.

During my interview process they told me how they pay higher-than-average commissions and told me since it was uncapped I could theoretically make untold fortunes. But again, they did not inform me that during my training the “revenue target-clock” would be running and accumulating. What this means is that during my training I was missing my sales target and it would accumulate month-to-month, so that when I finally was able to work independently that target was so high that it would take many months to reach, and hence many months before I would see my first commission. Think of it like student loans.

In addition, they were extremely lax on payment of commissions. When I finally earned commissions there was an almost 8-week lag time from when it was confirmed to when it showed up in my account. If you quit within that lag time, forget it, that payment is gone.

Micromanagement is a way of life at GQR. They will monitor the amount of time you spend on the phone, regardless of the end result. I was reprimanded for the length of time spent on the phone with no regard to the end result. I was able to have a more meaningful discussion with candidates in a shorter period of time because of my background working in other industries. There was another employee during my training who was singled-out for her great phone time, but she was a recent graduate who had never held a “professional” job in her life, so half the time she spoke with candidates was asking about the company they worked for or what they did in their role as a project manager (for example). All they cared about was the time spent on the phone, not the context or content of the conversation. I can speak with my dog for hours, but that doesn’t mean anything meaningful was accomplished.

Turnover is absurdly high because of the micromanagement and the lies/opacity during hiring. There were 7 people in my hiring class. One didn’t show up on day 2, another didn’t show up on day 4, two more left after 2 weeks and another on week 4. I and the aforementioned recent-grad were the only two that suffered past the first month. I quit after ten months, but I reached out to two of those in my hiring class and they told me they went to higher paying jobs with reasonable hours.

GQR preys on recent graduates, people desperate for jobs or those who want to believe their pipe dreams. The positive reviews on this website are very suspicious. I have no doubt some are real, but the majority read like they were written by GQR’s PR or HR team. They clearly have been reviewed by several people and edited. They read like press releases and are obviously fake.

Do not work for GQR.

I encourage you to ask the following two questions if you go through the hiring process:

1. What percentage of your new hires make it to 6 months?

2. How many employees are at that particular office and how many have been there for longer than 2 years?

Advice to Management

I’m at a loss here. GQR is a completely unethical company that has a successful business model built on preying on inexperienced people.

If you want employee loyalty, positive office morale and long-term, sustainable business growth, then a total strip-down of their business model would be required.

If they want to continue making smaller revenue with no regard to employees, corporate reputation or a long-term strategy, then keep doing what you do.

Nov 5, 2018 – Talent Acquisition

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a candid review. We are committed to creating a comfortable and transparent workplace. And, we are proud of the culture we have... More

"High Turnover Rate"

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time

Pros

Dynamic, fast paced work environment where you have the potential to make a significant amount of money through commission.

Cons

Difficult and unrealistic to gain significant commission during your first year, during which they work you extremely long hours for relatively very little base pay.

Advice to Management

Improve the training program by hiring trainers with positive attitudes.

Oct 25, 2018 – Talent Acquisition

First, thank you for your candid review. Great to hear that you identify our fast-paced and dynamic work environment as a positive company attribute – we certainly agree with you there!

With our... More

"worst company ever"

Former Employee - Associate Recruiter in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Recruiter in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at GQR Global Markets full-time

Pros

good training program, cool incentive trips

Cons

ask more questions, there's no transparency
    don't pay out commission everytime
    horrible upper management, they don't know how to manage
    very cutthroat, expect you to work until 10pm overnight

Dear Reviewer,

First and foremost, thank you for your candid review. We’re pleased to hear that you found the training program beneficial to your time at GQR and enjoyed our unique incentive... More

6. "Global Markets Employee : Associate"

Current Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Recruitment tools are second to none; they spend millions of dollars a year on broadening there networks to the farthest reaches.

Cons

Hours are tough starting out, and it takes a bit of a sacrifice. Over time you learn to build you foundation to work smarter, and get over the bumps of 360 recruitment.

Advice to Management

Allot more perks to employees; parking, meals, etc.

Oct 25, 2018 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you so much for your positive feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and takeaways from our business.

"Very Difficult Job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at GQR Global Markets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The talent acquisition team does a great job and you get to work alongside some very intelligent people.

Cons

This is a very tough job. The have an abnormally high turnover rate, especially in the first 12 months. Staffing companies experience high turnover but this company was unlike any of the other jobs I have had previously. It is especially concerning for new graduates, who seem to have a 75% rate of not being employed within one year. For experienced hires, the rate is lower as those employees seemed to come in with a better idea of what to expect.

The work hours are long and while they try to hold events to build cohesion, the constant turnover and the fact that you're already spending 50+ hours a week with these same people, most employees preferred to spend time with outside family/friends.

Highly KPI driven, like most sales companies. While they say KPI's are merely indicative, you are often under immense pressure to hit goals. The pressure leads to employees faking KPI's often to avoid scrutiny.

The workspace, the company moved into an old car factory space about a year ago. The space is cavernous and dusty and subject to frequent temperature fluctuations.

Payscale and cost structure are lower disadvantageous to employees. The corporate theory is that they pay low base salaries but high commissions. This contributes to the turnover and thresholds to earn commission are about 3.5x your base salary i.e. on a 40k base, or 3,333.33/month you need to bill almost 12k each month before earning commission. Most frustrating is that while an employee is in training, they are accumulating 12k/month in debt, while realistically unable to place candidates for the first month. Similar sized companies in different industries would not charge you during training and have breakeven number between 2-3x your base salary.

There is potential to make a lot of money but for permanent placements, they do not make it clear that it is a long cycle until a commission is actually paid out. From a candidate signing an offer letter there is usually 2-5 weeks until a start date, which is the invoice date, and then depending on the agreement and payment terms with the company, you have between 14-60 days until payment is due, plus any additional time for rebate periods. Basically it is usually 2-4 months after a candidate signs an offer letter to when the commission is actually deposited into your bank account.

Vacation policy and work from home policy are extremely weak. Low days off and they do not want employees working from home at all.

The CEO thinks of himself as the smartest guy in the room and while he works out of the LA office, he is never very present.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate the cost structure or be more transparent with the cost structure to reduce the burden on employees and show them where that money is going.

Pay commissions earlier, share the risk with the employees.

Institute unlimited vacation and work from home, freeing up cash on the balance sheet and improving employee morale. Let employees work from home, they will continue working on things if they know they can do it from home.

Treat your employees like adults, stop the endless micromanagement.

8. "good place"

Pros

Good for a hardworking mentality. Great Team, great people.

Cons

The training program can be tedious and discouraging. High expectations

Oct 26, 2018 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide positive feedback. We appreciate your input!

"Beware of the Fake Reviews!!!!!!"

Former Employee - Associate Vice President
    Former Employee - Associate Vice President

I worked at GQR Global Markets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Snacks were good until they got rid of them because they were going broke.

Cons

These are all fake reviews by their TA staff to help recruit along of other members of their operations team. With the amount of senior staff this company is losing by the day they are going to go bankrupt. Training sucks 99% of the class does not make it past 1 year (literally). They hire a bunch of puppets to try and mediate staff vs senior management. They delayed paying commissions for almost a year due to the lack of inferstructure. Company is full of fake billers. People are promoted without EVER seeing 1penny of commission. This whole scheme is fake, with people working pretending they make money when they actually don’t.

Advice to Management

Doing business in the states is slot different than doing business in the UK.

"Proceed with caution"

I worked at GQR Global Markets full-time

Pros

For the 3% of people that can hit requirements and continue to do so with minimal training the job and compensation structure is exactly how it is depicted.

Cons

I personally don't think the model is scalable. GQR promotes strictly based on hitting numbers. The leadership team is young which could be exciting but the culture breeds arrogance. GQR needs external professionals to train on leadership. I don't see how top performers can have high performing teams under them as they will become promoted to do their own thing. I also think its really shady that junior employees are forced to clock in and out for a "salary" position. For a company that is so money driven they are extremely cheap, good luck getting an expense reimbursement. The hours are 8-7 with little to no flexibility. I do believe when you are young you should work hard but I don't think leading by fear, intimidation, and inflexibility breeds an inspiring culture. I have come across some success stories and good people within GQR do exist but they are few and far between. I'd take a long hard look at who you would be working with and be honest with yourself about if you can handle it.

Advice to Management

I hope with time and turn over you learn how to better treat employees and become a more stable environment in general.