GRBS Reviews | Glassdoor

Rex Kuhn

1. "Awesome management!"

Current Employee - Lead Custodian in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Lead Custodian in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at GRBS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

GRBS pays much higher than your average cleaning company. They also offer large cash bonuses at the end of every school year, just for showing up to work and staying with the company. I can't even describe how many times I have gotten a thank you card in the mail from the HR department with a gift card or lottery ticket inside, just as a thank you for working for them. I have never worked at any other company that does that.

Cons

Many positions are seasonal (just through-out the school year) but still opportunities to pick up hours over the summer

Advice to Management

No advice needed.

2. "Human Resources Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at GRBS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is a great team environment, in which everyone works to together to take care of our customers. While we work hard we still like to have fun. I have had the opportunity to meet great people and establish quality relationships.

Cons

If you are not someone who enjoys working hard and taking pride in the finish product, GRBS may not be the right fit.

3. "Promotions for those that work hard"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at GRBS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Offer time off and benefits. Lots of opportunities to move up if you work hard and have a good attitude. The company has been around for over 100 years so it is stable and you really have a chance to build a long career with no required education or experience. They really care about employees like no other company I have seen. Truly a great organization to be a part of!

Cons

Quick growth over the past 10 years has caused some growing pains.

Advice to Management

Have the goal of being the best company to work for regardless of the industry.

5. "It's ok company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gaylord, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gaylord, MI

Pros

Lots of work and continues to improve.

Cons

Lack of communication and concern for employees.

Advice to Management

Better communication and have genuine concern for their employees

"custodial"

Former Employee - Custodial in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Custodial in Detroit, MI

I worked at GRBS (More than a year)

Pros

I have none that I can think of

Cons

Low pay bad management not enough work and management like to play favoritism. Totally not with it!

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect!

7. "Very deceiving during orientation, false advertisement of pay"

Former Employee - Custodian in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Custodian in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at GRBS part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Well, it is above minimum wage i suppose. Some coworkers were nice. Others hated their job and life so that was a bummer. They advertise that pay is $10/hour but it is actually $9/hour.

Cons

Oh where should i start? At first during orientation, they make you sign a contract stating that if you quit, you cannot work for another cleaning company for 1 full year because of their "revolutionary cleaning techniques" lol. I was lied to when they told me i would mainly be cleaning up a school and that the only times i would have to work events (football games, sporting events and dances etc...) were on the weekends. This was false, I had to work events 4 out of the 5 nights i worked here.

Next round of issues comes the training. I mean come on, the trainer was nice and all, but i did not learn a single thing on how to clean. He/she even told me how to get away with bending and breaking the rules of the company.

Then comes the scheduling issues. During my interview, i requested and was guaranteed that i would only be working 25 hours a week, 5 days a week. I was to clean the high school in my area. Well, the supervisor tells me that I had to clean the middle school bathrooms for the first half of my shift, then clean the bathrooms by the football field which was a a 5 minute drive from the middle school and no gas money was given. Also, after cleaning the middle school, i was expected to wait in the break room unpaid and then clock in when the sporting event was over to clean. So i had to waste 2 hours of my day unpaid sitting in a colorless room waiting for the event to end so i could start my shift.

Then the "2 hours" that i was supposed to work turned into 5 hours because the locker room bathrooms were completely trashed by both high school football teams. Literally it looked like a tornado, with sweat, dirty clothes, powerade/gatorade and other substances lining the floor of the room. Toilets would be purposefully clogged and impossible to clean up. Oh and dont forget that during your expected 2 hour shift, you have to clean the home and away fan bleachers as well as take out ALL TRASH!!!!

I am a mother of 2 kids with another job. How am i supposed to balance that out when my previous employer (GRBS) continued to lie to me about my hours and time i was supposed to work?

BTW, even my trainer told me a LARGE amount of employees quit this messed up job because they realize how horrible this place is.

Advice to Management

Seriously, this was the worst job i have ever had. You could see the look of disgust on other employees faces too. Also, 80 year old's are not physically capable of performing these job duties, so quit hiring them.

Quit lying to people who are interested and desperate for a job. I knew this was fishy when i received a call NOT EVEN 1 hour after i applied.

"Facility account manager"

Current Employee - Facility Account Manager in Plymouth, MI
    Current Employee - Facility Account Manager in Plymouth, MI

I have been working at GRBS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pros that I can think of is there are a few good employees working with me. Hard working parents trying to get by.

Cons

Be prepared to work more hours than they ask you to(50-52) yeah 70 hrs minimum is more like it. You get only 15cents for mileage. And they say "we are a family " yeah upper management are family. Forget your holidays,family,weekends and sleep. Your phone does not turn off and they track your every move and want you to write it down every night. My day starts at 7:00 am and I don't get to stop until 1:00 am. Take my advice find something else like I am doing right now. "We are for profit". At the cost of everyone else's life.

Advice to Management

How do you people sleep at night? Oh yeah I forgot you are blood suckers you don't sleep at night.

9. "Custodian"

Former Employee - Worked At Steelcase Custodian in Wyoming, MI
    Former Employee - Worked At Steelcase Custodian in Wyoming, MI

Pros

Work schedule same everyday
    Work alone most of the time
    Some freewill to listen to music while working

Cons

Short Breaks 10 mins
    Obama Care ruined job due to health care rules
    Can be tiresome cleaning the same stuff everyday

Advice to Management

Listen to your coworkers and be liantiant when needed

10. "This place is garbage"

Current Employee - Custodian in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Custodian in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

You are left alone to work most of the time

Cons

-Poor Management
    -Supervisors are inexperienced and inconsistent

11. "not too bad kind of seculded"

Current Employee - Janitor in Howell, MI
    Current Employee - Janitor in Howell, MI

I have been working at GRBS part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

pretty much work on your own everyone very friendly

Cons

the time they give you to complete a job or several jobs is efficient enough time you feel very overwhelmed

Advice to Management

need proper training and the managers aand supervisors should know the schools and how to use the equipment