Cover image for GRIN

Found 123 of over 128 reviews

4.6
GRIN CEO Brandon Brown
Brandon Brown

What people are saying about GRIN

Join the conversation on

Tech

454.2K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Employer-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=GRIN~2045076
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0

Love it here!

Nov 16, 2022 - QA Engineer in Saratoga Springs, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Love the people here! Everyone is willing to help and easy to talk to! Fully remote is always a good work environment !

Cons

Nothing I can think of.

2. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

A Reactive Company With All the Bad From Start-Up Culture

Sep 30, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Grin is full of many really nice and smart people. I enjoyed working with my immediate supervisor and many co-workers. Fully remote work was nice. Health benefits are OK.

Cons

Leadership changes priorities frequently with little communication or rationale; I'm not sure they know the "why" behind the decisions they make. Grin embodies many of the worst things about start-up culture: not enough people, resources, or support tools. So much manual work is done because Grin has become very stringent on spend that doesn't increase profits. I wasn't paid enough in my role and took a substantial raise in making a lateral move elsewhere. Responsibilities are not clearly defined and you will certainly be required to do work outside the scope of your role. Grin asks employees to share the good and the bad with the company. While the celebrate and relish in the good comments, they tend to ignore the bad ones.

7 people found this review helpful
  3. Join the GRIN team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

A good company to work for, a company has potential growth

Oct 3, 2022 - Site Reliability Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

1. Good work life balance (If you want to work extra hours, totally up to you, neither mandatory nor encouraged) 2. Fully remote work 3. Coworkers are respectful 4. CEO says to the entire company, "We will ask people who don't fit out culture to leave, faster than low performers." I really appreciate the leadership says that openly. 5. You are likely to choose what you want to work on 6. Transparency to company level performance

Cons

1. The company is trying to take its "start up" hat off, but it takes time to operate like a corporate 2. Some changes on direction/priorities 3. Better processes still need to be defined as the company just double its size

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Awesome culture and amazing people

Nov 8, 2022 - BDR
    Business Outlook

Pros

Culture People Leadership Product Core values

Cons

No cons i can think of besides the whole 3rd party data switch to 1st party data as a compliance with META.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work, confirmed

Jul 6, 2022 - Senior Software Engineer in Mason, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

This company has created a wonderful working environment. Everyone works fully remote but collaborates more effectively than any of my previous employers. In the engineering team, I am surrounded by smart, talented, and like-minded individuals who are committed to the company's vision. The company makes it very clear that they care about their employees through competitive compensation, good benefits, and by working hard to maintain an accepting and fun workplace. The stock options are great and reinforce the fact that you're "one team, one dream". The advertised values are not just placeholders on a website, they are baked in to the processes and culture. Best place I've ever worked in the software industry!

Cons

I have no cons to list.

1 person found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Current Employee

Fast paced fantastic pace to work with

Oct 11, 2022 - QA Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fast, dynamic, you would learn way more in a few months than in a year elsewhere, everyone ready to help

Cons

can be overwhelming at times, but when you resolve the issue, it is such a great feeling and you have learnt a lot.

8. 2.0
    Former Employee

Inauthentic.

Sep 25, 2022 - Software Developer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Preface: This is a repost of my original review that was flagged and removed (coincidentally?) one day after the 30-day time window that review can be edited (i.e. and fix any “violations”). As a result my review was effectively shadow banned. Did the employer have anything to do with the timing of the strike on the review? I have no proof. Do I think this employer would do something like that? Absolutely. My review was removed because it violated the policy against using a name. I used a Russian name that is part of an internal phrase. It didn’t identify anyone, no English speaker would know it’s a name, and no one outside the company would recognize it as such. Because of the removal it’s tempting to be spiteful and drop my review from 2 stars to 1 but I’m not going to do that because I want the spirit of my original review to remain authentic. Authenticity is important. So important in fact, I would argue that it would make an excellent core value for a company. -- My original review was titled: “Amazing Health Benefits - Meh Culture - Poor Quality of Life” The original review now continues as follows with a redaction and minor edits to best ensure that it will not be flagged in 31 days: -- Pros Best health benefits I’ve ever seen C Level Execs seem like winners for the following reasons: - Industry experience - Work well together - Likeable (an under appreciated quality IMO) Product is super well positioned to be the industry leader and lead a successful IPO: - Grin is the leader of their market - No competitors can catch them - Only real threat is Facebook shutting their access down or outright knocking them off (or both) In the title I said “meh culture”, “meh” isn’t all bad - here are the positives: Periodic cool swag bags (shirt, shoes, desk mat), $ for self-improvement items like educational books, sick time can be used for mental health reasons (which you might need - see below).

Cons

If half-stars were available I would give 2.5 stars. I decided to round down because they are always doing their best to manipulate the “Best Places to Work” surveys. How they do this is through relentless “encouragement” (bordering on browbeating to, [**Phrase Redacted**]<- you’ll understand this reference if you join) toward employees to fill out these surveys. Those surveys lean favorably toward companies that have a higher response rate because it is in their interests: More Participants = More Attention = More Credibility. In this past year’s survey Grin had a 91% response rate, where the average company has in the 50s. Picking up on “meh” culture: This is a place where you should never make a joke, never show any weakness, keep your head down and get your tasks done. You are a video feed. They send problems your way, you send back solutions and in exchange you get a paycheck. I’m not saying that is in any way wrong - this is a business after all, and a startup no less who are in a race to “build the airplane on the way down” as the saying goes. I’m just saying it’s “meh”, and that those ingredients don’t make for one of the best places to work despite what the survey says. People act friendly but they are not your friend. Again, fine this is a business we’re not here to make friends. However, there is a veneer of pleasantry along with a lot of cheerleading from HR that feels inauthentic given what I’ve said above. People just “disappear” and no one knows why. HR won’t say. Management won’t say. Did they make a mistake? Get frustrated and quit? Were they at a point were their stock options about to vest lol? Maybe they voiced displeasure, got burned out. Maybe they….. didn’t fill out the survey!?! About poor quality of life: My quality of life did deteriorate over time. I almost never heard a good word (other than that same hollow cheerleading that felt fake), but definitely heard about the bad stuff when it happened. I eventually would work 12-14 hour days, most days, to avoid that bad. I eventually found myself rushing all the time, like literally jogging through the house to hurry & get lunch (or whatever) and get back to my desk, always trying to pre-emptively guess at any potential angle that could generate a negative outcome. Overtime I found myself getting short with my family and became unpleasant to be around ← this is on me, I only add this here to illustrate the effect this lifestyle had on me. It wouldn’t have been a bad idea to use one of those sick days (or two) for mental health but I didn’t feel safe doing that. I think most of the managers on the tech side are unhappy because there is a lot of pressure on them (building that airplane and all) and then that rolls downhill. In terms of the subject matter of the work, it wasn’t the best nor the worst. I did like it much of the time. I bet it would be awesome to work on it with a close knit team with a strong rapport. It probably was like that in the beginning with just the 7 of them in that office. I guess that’s the rub though, isn’t it? How do you blitzscale while keeping your culture and camaraderie? Those aspects likely begin to burst at the seams when growing so large so fast. As an early member it’s probably just best to hold out until IPO & sell your shares and let the problem of the organization becoming a culturally bland corporation become someone else’s concern. * I’ve read the community guidelines and do not believe this review violates any. This review was posted on Sept 25th, 2022. *

9 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Best place to work

Sep 20, 2022 - Customer Service Manager (CSM)
    Business Outlook

Pros

I love this company to its core - Brandon has done such an amazing job putting the right people in the right seats and it shows

Cons

Workload can get pretty high at some times having to schedule multiple back to back calls can be a little overwhelming at times

10. 5.0

A Company Culture like No Other

Jun 22, 2022 - Business Development Representative in Sacramento, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

GRIN is a fast-paced, forward-thinking, all-around amazing company to work for. I truly believe I have found a company I want to develop my career at, and management is great at being very transparent about what is going on within the company at a high level. Even in today's uncertain times, GRIN is continuing to stick to its core values and truly wants all employees to succeed and be supported. From employee policies, company initiatives, management and leadership, and my coworkers, this is the best place I have worked by far. I am very excited to see what the future has in store.

Cons

There are no cons that I can think of. Trust me, you won't regret working here!

11. 5.0

Simply The Best

Apr 1, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

In no particular order: - Team-First Mentality / No Silos - Empathetic Leadership and Transparency - Professional Growth Opportunities - Work / Life Balance (WFH and Flexible Hours) - New Hire Onboarding Experience - Amazing Product and Customers - An Organization with a PLAN! In just six months, I feel like my day-to-day contributions at GRIN make a difference. We are constantly celebrating each other for accomplishments and jumping at opportunities to support one another. I sincerely love this job!

Cons

*Disclaimer - there are NO cons, but there are some facets that GRIN is actively working to improve: - Growing Pains - GRIN is taking off quickly. Instead of simply riding it out, the leadership is actively taking feedback and implementing new workflows and positions to manage the inevitable change. - Employee Benefits - While these could be better, our People Management team is amazing and continues to research and pursue the best benefits for us. I appreciate your swift efforts to match GRIN’s growth with industry standards. - Scheduling - As GRIN hires remotely throughout the US, it’s sometimes difficult to schedule internal meetings that are convenient for all time zones. The leadership is actively accepting feedback and trying new things to be more accommodating to everyone.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 123 Reviews
</>Embed

GRIN Reviews FAQs

GRIN has an overall rating of 4.6 out of 5, based on over 128 reviews left anonymously by employees. 86% of employees would recommend working at GRIN to a friend and 87% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -6% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, GRIN employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.4 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at GRIN. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.

86% of GRIN employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated GRIN 4.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.5 for culture and values and 4.5 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at GRIN to be management, career development, senior leadership and the cons to be compensation, benefits.

Popular Careers with GRIN Job Seekers