GROWMARK Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Jim Spradlin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work-life balance is practiced by most (in 5 reviews)

• GROWMARK offers excellent compensation and the benefits package is good as well, highlighted by the pension plan (which so few companies offer anymore) (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • I hold a lot of company loyalty and also want to benefit from the pension program, so I would rather not look outside of the company for new roles (in 4 reviews)

1. "GROWMARK, Inc. company review"

Current Employee - Digital Marketing Associate in Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - Digital Marketing Associate in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at GROWMARK full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Leadership is completely in touch with the business and employees
    - Most employee friendly company I have worked in
    - Professional, hard working, top notch employees
    - All-inclusive culture. I've been with GROWMARK for 5.5 years, and see myself finishing my career here. I work in an area that touches each part of the organization on a daily basis, and it makes me feel valued every day

Cons

Those reading negative reviews are probably trying to find something negative, and, I have no negative remarks for GROWMARK.

2. "Working for Seedway"

I have been working at GROWMARK full-time

Pros

Opportunities for growth; experience in the agricultural sect

Cons

Can't think of any "cons."

Advice to Management

No advice to management at this time.

"In a transitional period"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at GROWMARK full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

GROWMARK has a healthy culture that creates an atmosphere that is quite enjoyable to work in on a daily basis. Most employees here are dedicated to their work and interested in working as a team to serve our members and customers. Having worked in both a large and small organization prior to coming to GROWMARK, it's nice to find a place that offers many of the benefits of both large and small organizations.

There are many changes in the works at GROWMARK and the future looks very promising. Management is very much interested in the success of our members and customers and creating an work environment that allows employees to fully engage in their work.

Cons

Change is hard. There are many things in flux and that can create confusion and temporary pain for employees and members/customers. Not all change is right for the organization and there is a process of trying, failing, and trying again that can be hard to swallow as an individual employee. Decisions can move slowly and unintentionally cause frustration for employees that must deal with the ambiguity and resulting inefficiency.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and don't lose sight of what individual employees are encountering on a daily basis during these period of change. Be transparent with the thought processes for supporting decisions or deferring decisions. If you want to come out on the back side of all these changes with the best possible result, you will want to keep your current employees along the way. The pain of change can be mitigated by communicating clear vision and demonstrating continuous commitment to it.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at GROWMARK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

GROWMARK is a great place to work! The organizational culture is tremendous - kind, happy, positive employees; fun place to work, and a great environment. GROWMARK offers excellent compensation and the benefits package is good as well, highlighted by the pension plan (which so few companies offer anymore). The thing that makes GROWMARK stand out to me is that the organization is filled with people who want to work hard for the company, each other, and our customers. Co-workers will go above and beyond to help one another succeed. As someone with a non-agriculture background, I've leaned on the expertise of others within the organization and countless individuals have spent time with me to help my understand some of the complexities. My managers have been extremely supportive and have given me the necessary tools and training to succeed, while being understanding of work-life balance. GROWMARK does a great job at recognizing you for hard (and good) work. The executive team, led by our CEO, is extremely approachable and genuine.

Cons

I don't really find too many significant cons. One of the challenges is understanding the company. It's relatively complex and takes some time to grasp, but GROWMARK does a good job of offering opportunities to learn.

Advice to Management

I really appreciate the company management. In other organizations I have worked, you could sense nervous tension amongst employees when the CEO or executive team was around. At GROWMARK, management makes you feel very welcomed. I've found leadership to be very approachable, genuine, and supportive of ideas. I always see our top management around the building and they make a concerted effort to engage and interact with employees.

"GMK Proud"

I have been working at GROWMARK full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pay, benefits, and culture of the company are great. There are many career opportunities in a wide variety of areas that allow employees to develop personally and professionally. Love the idea of coming to work every day to support the agricultural industry. The company is in the best financial shape of its 90-plus year history. Run by top management that has the philosophy of "do the right thing".

Cons

The company is run very lean, so resources can be tough to come by at times. However, the benefit of this is realized during tough years when there are no layoffs.

Advice to Management

Change is hard. We are going though some change right now that will have very positive long-terms results. Keep doing the right thing, and encouraging the rest of us to do the same.

6. "GROWMARK Review"

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at GROWMARK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent balance between stability and quality leadership. Commitment to employee growth and development is great!

Cons

Lack of diversity throughout departments.

Advice to Management

Great relationships with customers, and treats employees with respect. Can be more inclusive by actively seeking diverse candidates of non AG backgrounds.

7. "Thankful for GMK"

I have been working at GROWMARK full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

GROWMARK has competitive pay, great benefits, and the people are its greatest asset. Everyone at GMK is a pleasure to work with, management and peers alike care about me as a person, and the company has a great "family first" mentality that helps promote healthy work-life balance at times.

Management is approachable and mostly transparent. They explain complicated concepts around our financial performance in ways that the larger group can understand what's going on, and they're fairly well in-tune with the pulse of the average employee. It's easy to trust those who are in senior leadership positions in the company.

Cons

GROWMARK can be fiscally conservative due to its position as a cooperative. This means that we at times run very lean, and jobs can expand beyond their original description as the work piles up. This is oftentimes a seasonal issue, though, due to the seasonal nature of the products GMK offers.

Advice to Management

Be aware of resource issues as they come up, or even proactively. Don't shy away from temporary help during this time of transition and change. And don't be afraid to think outside of the box when it comes to office layout, cubicle style, meeting formats, etc.

Continue investing in employee engagement and education, and keep the "inside scoop" program up and running. You're already doing a lot of great things.

8. "Great Place to Work!"

I have been working at GROWMARK full-time

Pros

Very family friendly company. The company overall has strong values.

Cons

Not very flexible for working different hours in most positions.

9. "Solid"

I have been working at GROWMARK full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company, people and benefits are really nice. There is a pension with this job and it is fully funded. There are good opportunities for talented and driven people. The company is focused on employee engagement and on developing its talent. That means there are numerous training and development opportunities. I also like that all employees are given one paid day a year to volunteer at the charity organization of their choice. I feel fortunate to be a part of GROWMARK.

Cons

The management is conservative--to a fault at times.

GROWMARK Response

Feb 15, 2018 – System Recruiting Analyst

Thank you for your review! Your feedback of the value of benefits and training opportunities offered is appreciated and encouraging. Please continue to take advantage of those throughout your... More

10. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at GROWMARK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The management team is great, very personable and approachable. The benefits are great with a fully funded pension. There has been a large push to train and develop people in the building and out in the GROWMARK System. There are numerous opportunities to advance yourself.

Cons

Management can be too conservative at times.