GRW Engineers Reviews | Glassdoor

Ron D. Gilkerson

1. "Satisfied"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at GRW Engineers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

very good benefits, great people to work with, they strive to listen to and respond to client's expressed needs and they are conscientious to deliver good design

Cons

work load can fluctuate quite a bit therefore managing deadlines can be challenging at crunch times

"Engineer"

Former Employee - Engineer in Lexington, KY
    Former Employee - Engineer in Lexington, KY

I worked at GRW Engineers (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working at GRW because the people that I worked for were genuinely good people that had my best interests at heart.

Cons

I didn't have any bad experiences during my time working at GRW. My only complaint would be that some of the project managers are a little inconsistent.

Advice to Management

I think it would be a good idea to do proposal estimates and get input from the different disciplines to put those together. Once a job kicks off, each discipline should understand the amount of time the are allowed to complete a particular project.

"Needs Improvement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at GRW Engineers full-time

Pros

Some people are nice to work with most of the time. Flex time and work/life balance is nice.

Cons

Constant technical issues with PC's, server issues, graphics issues, could be accredited to lax IT support and IT Dept. being in another state. Computers are dated and operate quite slow sometimes. Indy office is governed by the Lexington, KY office, thus causing a bottleneck in the money pipeline, causing the Indy office not being able to spend the money it needs to keep everything working smoothly. Compensation is less than desirable. Not much of a team atmosphere unless you are "that" person, some people are not included in things such as meetings, group discussions, etc. High turnover rate, they will tell you they are growing but they actually are just filling someone else's spot that just left.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees, they can only work as fast as their computer lets them. Include everyone, employees don't like being singled out. Leave Lexington behind, they are preventing your (Indy) office from growing!!

"The Grass is Greener"

Former Employee - Manager in Lexington, KY
    Former Employee - Manager in Lexington, KY

I worked at GRW Engineers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some really great people work there.

Cons

Some not so great people work there. Not a company for someone expecting strong leadership, and the respect, collaboration and professionalism that goes with that strength. Good-old-boys club mentality.

Advice to Management

Engineers are not good business managers.

6. "Nice and proffessional place to work"

Pros

The full time employees that I interacted with were both courteous and professional. The work environment was laid back and professional.

Cons

Nothing to complain about. The only small drawback was that there wasn't a break area where you could sit and eat. I always ate at my desk or out of the office.

Advice to Management

I would not advise the management to change anything. They were all very kind and professional. I liked that they had mostly a hands of approach in regards to the employee when the project was running smoothly.

"Project Manager"

I worked at GRW Engineers full-time

Pros

GRW has extremely knowledgeable staff and works on a very diverse array of projects. There are plenty of opportunities to build your own knowledge base.

Cons

There is virtually no room for growth and it is still very much "the old boys club". Even though they did very well to weather the recent economic downturn, compensation has not been fairly dispersed over the past couple of years and many people are allowed to take advantage of a loose work environment while others make up for that with uncompensated overtime.

Advice to Management

Pay attention. Retaining employees is much cheaper than training new hires. Your exposure may not be where you think it is. There has been a steady trickle of talent leaving with many more looking. And your benefits are not comparable to what everyone else is offering. Keep an eye on how perks (golf outings, luncheons, etc.) are being allotted to employees.

8. "Casual and not too demanding"

Current Employee - Administrative
    Current Employee - Administrative

I have been working at GRW Engineers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very flexible with work-life balance issues and a casual work environment.

Cons

Not really recognized for your performance and raises do not come regularly for the worker-bees.

Advice to Management

Higher profits would be realized with more efficiency and standards in work practices.

9. "Wonderful"

Former Employee - Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at GRW Engineers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lay Back and wonderful company to work for.

Cons

Need more work to keep busy