GS Marketing Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. Featured Review

"Full Process"

I have been working at GS Marketing full-time

Pros

Great culture- like a family. Incredible benefits. People are very passionate about their job/position. Everyone that works here deserves to be here and works hard. We host a lot of fun internal events and there is no shortage of food laying around.

Cons

Extremely long interview process- but, worth the time if you get the job. The process was much longer for me because I came in at a time of change and had a lot of interests that they wanted to satisfy.

Advice to Management

We need better internal collaboration and organization- we are a bit disorganized. Cross-functional teams are not actually acting as such. Things are still a little too departmentalized in that there is only concern for one's department's responsibilities, instead working for the "good of the whole." There needs to be more teams working together to coordinate projects/ involvement with other teams to avoid disorganization and create synergism of efforts and products.

"Change is necessary"

I have been working at GS Marketing full-time

Pros

Better than average culture, company values, vision is clear, goals are transparent, company growth, best President & Vice Presidents in all of GSM history, more progressive than ever before!

Cons

A handful of associates who have been in the company either long term or straight out of school don't have a sense of company cultures outside of this one and sometimes don't seem to appreciate the positive environment and perks. There are people who are reluctant to change or would rather complain than lead or contribute to process improvement. Company growth requires the mindset to expect change, bumps in the road & that you will need to grow your own knowledge to stay ahead. These few associates can ruin the positive people around them.

Advice to Management

Thank you for the clearest vision we have had in years! Thank you for the positive challenge to grow and figure this out together! Advice: if associates are reluctant to find solutions and would rather complain, please weed them out of the company so that they don't infect the MANY others who are energized by the momentum!

"Don't be fooled by empty promises..."

Former Employee - Account Executive in Houston, TX

I worked at GS Marketing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, vacation time, car allowance

Cons

Poor culture, poor management, low pay, lack of solutions to sell, no vision from leadership, poor training for new hires

If you are interviewing for an AE role at this company, look somewhere else. You will be promised many things during the interview process in order to "court" you, and you will find out quickly that what was promised is not reality.

There was a change in executive leadership in 2014, and it wasn't much better than the previous incompetent group of executives. The president of the company is so far removed from the field staff that she seems surprised that most of the account executive team is unhappy. She makes cameo appearances at national sales meetings instead of being a full part of it. The rest of the management team is no better. They talk a great game, but none of them has ever actually sold anything - they've always been OEM reps, which is a job that requires no selling. Most companies perform exit interviews when an employee leaves - not the case here and I suspect that is because they do not want to hear the truth. It's clear that the success of GS Marketing is due to those in the field. If left solely to this executive group, GS Marketing would be closing shop pretty quickly..

As for the company, their claim is to be a "leading edge, data driven, automotive marketing firm." Not sure what is meant by "leading edge" because they have never developed a marketing solution in-house. Of the solutions the company offers, they technically own only one of them because they bought the company that developed the solution. It's a pretty good solution at that - not sure why the previous ownership sold because they know more about the automotive marketing industry than GS Marketing does. It should have been the other way around and they should have purchased GS. Everything else they offer is white-labeled from other companies, and they are mediocre solutions at best. As for being data driven, that couldn't be further from being true. If you are a company driven by data, then you should not experience as many data issues as GS Marketing's dealer customers experience on a daily basis. The field staff spends a great amount of time tending to those issues. Also, if you are a data driven company, it shouldn't take multiple days or weeks to get a simple data request completed. GS Marketing also claims to care about what they call "associate engagement", meaning they care about their associates and want to help them grow and advance in their careers. It sounds great on paper, or when someone in management talks about it, but that's about where it stops. If that were the case, there would not be so many good associates that have left the company. A statement was made by the president that was something to the effect of "we want GS Marketing to be the best marketing company to work for in the automotive business." There's clearly A LOT of work to be done there. A LOT.

If one of your concerns when looking at a prospective new employer is compensation, then steer clear of this company. There have been multiple pay plan changes for the field staff, and the latest one is by far the worst they have come up with. What makes it even more embarrassing is that they actually paid an outside consultant to come up with it. The management team should be asking for a refund. This is the only sales organization you'll work for where you don't actually get paid for selling anything (not that there is much to sell in the first place.) You want revenues to grow? Here's an idea...incentivize your sales staff to sell. Holding them accountable to a number in order to get a commission won't work, especially when there is no visibility to how you are performing, and you can't affect the current month you are in. That's not an incentive, it's a punishment. Another poorly planned idea from the management team.

This review is not to say that there aren't any good people working at GS Marketing. There are. Many good ones have come and gone. But most of us don't go to work to be with our buddies. We go to work to earn a successful living. We go to work to better ourselves. We go to work to provide for our families. We go to work to be compensated accordingly. Unfortunately, GS Marketing is not the place to do any of that. If you want your career to go backwards, then this is the place for you. If you want to grow, be happy and be compensated fairly for the work you do, then look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

You can't grow your business on direct mail, and you can't grow your business by white-labeling someone else's products. Learn how to put a proper sales-based pay plan in place, not one that doesn't pay someone when they sell something. Learn how to manage and motivate employees and fulfill the promises you make - maybe there wouldn't be so much turnover in the field staff.

Apr 17, 2017 – Marketing Manager

I want to thank you for taking the time to provide us this detailed feedback. I have received your feedback as constructive and will use the information to focus on continuous improvement. Making GSM ... More

""Change?" More like "Poor Planning.""

I have been working at GS Marketing full-time

Pros

-Anyone that isn't a Manager is usually a pleasure to work with. I have some fantastic co-workers.
    -Birthdays, weddings, pregnancies and the like are all celebrated with great fanfare, presents, and food.
    -The cafe and gym on campus are well run and maintained and are definitely two of the coolest benefits.
    -If you're a coffee drinker, there are pretty fancy coffee machines everywhere where you can caffeinate yourself for free.

Cons

-Favoritism abounds. Be prepared to worship the ground that upper management walks on if you want them to like you. They literally take offense to you treating them like a normal person and not "someone special."
    -Long held grudges are real. I've seen incredibly competent and beloved people fired because of petty grudges held by management. This hurts the entire organization, and serves no purpose other than vengeance.
    -Sales gets all the praise. During the monthly employee meetings, Sales is routinely called out for their good work, but there are many, many other people within the organization that make it successful that deserve their hard work called out, too.
    -"Digital" revolution is a joke. Product Marketing refuses to pursue products that didn't come from their own brains (so don't waste your good ideas on them), and they have poor time management so products and processes stay stagnant for umpteen months. They're laggards in terms of digital marketing and are still focusing heavily on direct mail.

Advice to Management

Don't act "surprised" when employee surveys come back showing employees are unhappy, then let the President of the company practically berate employees in an all-employee meeting because she's embarassed. THAT is a key example why people are unhappy.

Also, stop claiming that GSM is an "open" environment where new ideas are welcome. They're not - no employee wants to speak up because they know a witch hunt will follow them.

Oct 10, 2016 – Marketing Manager

While the Pro’s are spot on, we are in the process of significant growth and change. We recognize that all of our associates may not adapt or adjust at the same pace we are currently moving. Our ... More

"Senior Regional Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Regional Manager in Jackson, MS
    Current Employee - Senior Regional Manager in Jackson, MS

I have been working at GS Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

25 year old company that has family ties to Toyota.

Cons

none that come to mind

Advice to Management

Pay to grow and be clear about goals

Mar 8, 2016 – Marketing Manager

Thanks for your feedback. Our goal with recent changes is to help associates grow more personally and financially than ever before. We are looking forward to your leadership and long career at GS ... More

"Great growth company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at GS Marketing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is definitely in growth mode! With the new company acquisition earlier this year, we have lots of new clients coming on board. We are busy prospecting for additional clients and constantly training new staff to properly serve the new client base.

Cons

With any growing company, products are sold before while the process is still being developed. It makes for a fun challenge to fulfill orders and experience growth prior to all of How's are put into place.

Advice to Management

Keep growing and focus on associate retention! This is going to be a great year and we need all of your positive comments and push to keep us on track. Thanks for all you do!

Mar 8, 2016 – Marketing Manager

Thanks for the kind words and great advice! Our focus this year is growth with an emphasis on products and associate retention. We are glad that our focus is already making an impact because ... More

"People are first! Growth is happening!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at GS Marketing full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It's an exciting time to be at GS Marketing because the leadership finally has the perfect mix of "Fun and Pride" and business growth! The current President is a long-time GS Marketing employee and since she was promoted to President a little over a year ago our company has made positive strides and has the backing of the ownership in a way that I haven't seen in the 10 years that I've been employed at GSM. When walking the hallways of GSM and the entire Friedkin organization you see smiling, long-term associates who recognize the privilege we have every day to work in a "green" state-of-the art facility. Not everyone can say that they have owners and management who support multiple charities and get the associates involved in organizations like Junior Achievement and the United Way. The management is the best it has ever been and the focus on keeping associates happy while achieving growth is a hard task that everyone is maneuvering through with grace.

Cons

Where there is growth, there will always be growing pains and not everyone is receptive to growth and change. While most people work hard and appreciate this organization, others are either not open minded to change or have forgotten what it is like to work in less appealing environments. Don't get me wrong, the people are the greatest part of GS Marketing but we all know that a few bad apples have potential to spoil the bunch.

Advice to Management

Stay focused. Make thoughtful, yet swift changes. Hold people accountable. Celebrate the wins. Set associates up for success.

Mar 8, 2016 – Marketing Manager

Thanks for your feedback. We are going through a lot of changes at GS Marketing and we are working really hard to make this the greatest place to work. We are glad you are happy and we hope to ... More

"Employee turnover is outrageously high!"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Houston, TX

I worked at GS Marketing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Health benefits are nice and company doesn't care about expenses. Field employees are allowed to drink and eat as much as they want. Since managers are so clueless, you can get away with working 20 hours a week and nobody would know the difference.

Cons

Too many good employees leave this company. Changing commission plans every six months may have something to do with that. Also, some of their upper management/senior managers are actively sending out resumes in hopes of finding better jobs. Buy in and employee morale is probably at the lowest level in the last three years.

Advice to Management

The "Leadership Team" needs to learn how to lead people before they start calling themselves "leaders".

Mar 8, 2016 – Marketing Manager

We are saddened to hear that an associate at GS Marketing felt this way during their tenure at the company. At GSM we like to hire self-motivated, high performers who enjoy the freedom to work ... More

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at GS Marketing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great people, I can truly say that I work with my friends
    -Tons of opportunity to work, help and socialize outside of the day-to-day
    -Flexible work environment that is great for families
    -New leadership that has associate best interests at heart
    -Tons of changes are happening which makes things more interesting
    -Really nice facility with parking garage, fitness center, Starbucks, cafe, outdoor track, etc.

Cons

There is nothing out of the ordinary, just typical cons of Corporate America. Change and communication can be a challenge but these definitely do not outweigh the pros and at the end of the day, we get things done and the changes that are happening are exciting!

Advice to Management

Leadership has changed a lot over the last few years but the people in charge now have the best interests of our company and our people in mind. They are making a lot of positive changes and my advice would be to stick with it!

"Parent company is wonderful; Lack of good leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at GS Marketing full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Parent company has deep pockets and will help GS Marketing remain solvent
    For the most part a family atmosphere and employees who look out for each other
    Good benefits

Cons

Lack of leadership; poor communication, management who can manage projects/processes but cannot manage people
    Unclear future and vision without reality
    Uncertainty about the business plan; very little transparency; too many rumors because leadership hides current plans

Advice to Management

Get managers who can manage people. Have a clearly communicated vision and let employees know what is going on, not just "The future is bright, there are so many things coming our way."