GSE Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

"Overlooked evidence"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer II in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer II in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at GSE Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Sustainable company. Huge projects coming in, with good staffing available.
    Software development group growing. New engineers coming on board. New, experienced PM bringing in outside skills, replacing dug-in PM set in old ways.
    I'm a systems engineer, and I've been here almost 8 years. There are a lot of reviews that have come out recently that are rather negative, but I would like to counter that. None of the other reviews state that we would be out of business in 1 year if Kyle and Chris had not come in. We were losing money. We had enough cash on hand to last us 18 - 24 months, and that's all. The negative comments talk about new management wrecking the company, but it was actually the old management that was wrecking the company. I love working for the new management. Finally, some accountability. Processes are being measured. Opinions are counted. Management is attentive. One of our senior managers was caught with the book "HBR's 10 Must Reads on Emotional Intelligence." They're reading it. They got the tech skills, and now they're getting the soft skills. I can really see that the top management is big into making this place great for us. I can only be patient and wait for some of my colleagues come around and see what they've really done. I think they might change their mind when the bonus pool rolls out at the end of the year - we haven't had anything like that in the past 4 years, perhaps because the old management couldn't keep us profitable with all the waste and lack of direction.

Cons

Still cleaning up after the old management. It takes years to build up our our best resource - people!

Advice to Management

I think we should have another all-hands meeting to discuss where we are now and where we will be in 6 months. Maybe we should also bring up our recovery, memories of those we have parted with, and perhaps a gentle reminder of where we would be if we hadn't made those hard choices. Those were our friends.

"I like the work here"

I have been working at GSE Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Salaries are competitive (outlying Baltimore suburb).
    The projects are interesting and do provide good engineering/programming experience.
    Many talented programmers and engineers who are enthusiastic about quality simulations; they are key to finishing projects and keeping our long-time customers.
    Flexible work schedule and relaxed core hours.

Cons

Low employee morale. From recent comments on this site, it unfortunately appears that some people have just stopped caring.
    Customers are demanding; they are surprisingly knowledgeable about simulators and a few can be exceedingly fastidious (almost obnoxiously) regarding design specifications, even when we give some generous concessions.
    Some engineers take advantage of the loose supervision, relaxed work schedules, sick leave, and “work”-from-home policies.

Advice to Management

After consistently losing money in recent years, we have to think very differently to be a sustainable business.
    I was surprised by how many off-the-cuff, temperamental comments were here. However, I hope that an astute reader would be skeptical of a cynical review where the only positive comment is about Oscar’s which, incidentally, has been out-of-business and renamed three times since we’ve been in Eldersburg; a reminder, perhaps, of the importance of adapting? It may be worth remembering that layoffs, attrition, and health care increases were also happening before the current management.
    Still, you don’t have to love management. If you are looking for greener grass, know that things might not always be so green (company fortunes can change like the weather). Most companies face cuts at some point (e.g. oil prices affecting the engineers who went to Telvent).

"I've worked here several years and employee moral is at an all time low."

Current Employee - Administration in Sykesville, MD
    Current Employee - Administration in Sykesville, MD

I have been working at GSE Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The engineers and all employees are helpful, kind, and appreciative of each individual. Have always had a team approach and promoting of communicating, and nurturing.

Cons

Executive manager is driving good employees away by demeaning those who have worked in the business for years. Many have more work than can be completed in even a 50 hour week and it is getting worse by the week.

"Great employees, inept executives"

I have been working at GSE Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The work is interesting and varied. There are opportunities for travel to interesting power plants all over the world, but travel is generally limited so that it doesn't take over your life. As an engineer, you will gain exposure to a lot of power generation control system vendors, including their software and hardware. The rank and file engineers and non-executive supervisors and project managers are intelligent, wonderful teammates that really care about each other.

Cons

The skills needed for simulation are not directly transferable and the new executives (CEO and COO) tried to institute a non-compete agreement that prohibits former employees from working for any of the companies that would be most interested in hiring an engineer with the skills learned at GSES. Consequently, GSES continues to lack competitive pay or benefits and the executives erroneously believe they can take employees for granted. As a result of this approach, and despite the misguided attempt to trap engineers with the new non-compete, key employees are leaving at an alarming rate.

Advice to Management

Revert the egregious policy changes. When introducing new changes in the future, call a meeting and explain why they are financially necessary and provide proof to support those assertions. Stop squeezing the employees to artificially make the company appear profitable.

"Great People"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at GSE Systems (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, opportunities to grow and develop as a professional.

Cons

Technology is dated, new ceo is letting people go in an effort to squeeze as much money out of the company as possible.

"Sr. Systems Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineerer in Potomac, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineerer in Potomac, MD

I have been working at GSE Systems (Less than a year)

Pros

Good place to enhance professional skills;

Cons

Variety skills involved
    Reconstruction and opportunity

Advice to Management

Make it profitable

8. "Great place for starting engineers."

Current Employee - Systems Engineer I in Eldersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer I in Eldersburg, MD

I have been working at GSE Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very flexible work structure.

Cons

Limited opportunities for advancement.

Advice to Management

Increase consulting work -- there is money to be made there.

"turnaround working"

Pros

great place to work for folks who want to be part of a dynamic and interesting culture. not always the case with the prior management teams who were clueless. new team is talented and hard working. have increased salaries for folks, created a bonus plan and providing equity to some employees. most of the negative posts are folks who were part of the old guard, had dated skills and are disgruntled. good riddance.

Cons

industry isn't the most dynamic but at some point the nuke industry should rebound. still some older workers who are set in their ways but slowly cluing in that old ways aren't necessary the best way.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work. the results of the past year don't lie. nice thing about being public you can see the results with total transparency.

10. "N/A"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at GSE Systems as a contractor

Pros

GSE has good staffs to work with.

Cons

They can lay you off easily.

Advice to Management

N/A

"Good Place to Work"

I have been working at GSE Systems full-time

Pros

Very talented staff and the products are cutting end engineering grade. Management is forward thinking and has turned the company around financially. Good Pay.

Cons

Losing some talent due to management changes. Tools have outdated look and feel. COO is not a people person. Actually he is a jerk.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the employees, they are overworked in many cases and need some help. This can only last so long and then they will leave.