GSE Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Balanced organization"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer III in Eldersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer III in Eldersburg, MD

I have been working at GSE Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've worked with GSE for a little over 8 years. I'm not a member of management. I work out of our main office in Eldersburg, MD.
    I have contacts in many of the departments, including operations, finance, and R&D. We had a turnaround operation about 3 years ago, and I feel as though we have come back to health. The first year after the turnaround was tough, and we had some people leave of their own free will during that time. I think those people left because they feared for job security - a restructuring comes with uncertainty.
    I think our new management, particularly of the c-suite class, is pretty good. If asked, they acknowledge that the #1 reason why people leave is because of their boss. Some might be concerned that they pay too much attention to our stock price, but this is part of raising capital to expand the business. Some might say that they don't understand the technical aspects of building nuclear power simulators, but I say they understand the basics and are curious enough to want to know more. I must admit though, it takes a special set of education and experience to navigate legal hurdles, manage finance, manage HR, set direction for our technology, and man the helm of our organization - I don't think that a Master's degree in engineering will fulfill those needs, nor any level of experience in engineering. I don't think it's a bad thing that our upper level c-suite staff is able to delegate responsibility for the deepest technical aspects of simulators to us engineers. They have a lot of respect for us.
    I think the social connections at GSE are pretty good.
    I admit that we don't have as may group activities since we "right-sized" the company, such as soccer, but that doesn't mean that the family atmosphere is gone. I walked into a meeting of 7 of our engineers 3 weeks ago, and they were all talking about fantasy football. If I’m not mistaken, there is still a trivia night up at Oscar’s or GloryDays, though I have not gotten involved. HR sets up running\walking events in which we form teams and groups – you can walk around the organization and see that a few people still have their team banners up (on an 8.5x11 inch paper). We've got guys that go together to hit the gym. I've got a colleague with whom I go see movies - me, my wife, and him - probably about twice a month. Another colleague, his wife, my wife, and I occasionally go out to dinner, all four of us. I recently helped that colleague move into a new house. Today, I'll be going to a Halloween party hosted by a coworker, and likely there will be other coworkers there, and even some past coworkers. We’ve got fantastic comradery in my engineering group – I really look forward to seeing my teammates, and I’d like to think that they enjoy seeing me.

Cons

In response to the comment placed on OCT 26, 2017 – thank you. It upsets me that someone has been missed. I got on it right away and started interviewing some people to see what we can do. I talked with some individuals about more social programs at work. One individual highlighted that we seemed to have stopped the ping-pong tournaments. I went and talked to DB, our guy that, of his own free will, would organize the tournaments. We’ve got several new players that want to get organized, and I look forward to playing with them during that week leading up to New Year’s.
    In response to treating employees as replaceable parts – it takes at least a year to fully train an employee and it is very difficult to attempt to replace an engineer. The knowledge and analytical skills required to understand, manipulate, debug a nuclear of fossil fuel power plant simulator is not something that is taught in a formal education setting.

All that being said, I find the work engaging and interesting. Schedules are not too tight. Vacation time is adequate. Benefits are good, and the health plan isn’t requiring us to do anything skeptical, such as DNA tests – I hear some plans at other organizations are requiring their employees to do that.
    I had originally placed my name on this review, but the review was blocked -
     I had to remove my name. If you have a hunch, ask me, initials WC. I tried to place my name on this review is because my past review was accused of being fake, accused of being written by management. I also take credit for the review posted on Aug 16, 2016.

Advice to Management

Fix the picture of the CEO for GSE on GlassDoor. It's outdated.

2. "Anonymous"

I have been working at GSE Systems full-time

Pros

Flexibility with work hours in certain departments.

Cons

Overall atmosphere and moral can be improved. Senior Management needs to take more investment in their employees. Wished work/life balance was a concern of leaders. Outdated equipment for a software company.

3. "N/A"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at GSE Systems as a contractor

Pros

GSE has good staffs to work with.

Cons

They can lay you off easily.

Advice to Management

N/A

"Overlooked evidence"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer II in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer II in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at GSE Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Sustainable company. Huge projects coming in, with good staffing available.
    Software development group growing. New engineers coming on board. New, experienced PM bringing in outside skills, replacing dug-in PM set in old ways.
    I'm a systems engineer, and I've been here almost 8 years. There are a lot of reviews that have come out recently that are rather negative, but I would like to counter that. None of the other reviews state that we would be out of business in 1 year if Kyle and Chris had not come in. We were losing money. We had enough cash on hand to last us 18 - 24 months, and that's all. The negative comments talk about new management wrecking the company, but it was actually the old management that was wrecking the company. I love working for the new management. Finally, some accountability. Processes are being measured. Opinions are counted. Management is attentive. One of our senior managers was caught with the book "HBR's 10 Must Reads on Emotional Intelligence." They're reading it. They got the tech skills, and now they're getting the soft skills. I can really see that the top management is big into making this place great for us. I can only be patient and wait for some of my colleagues come around and see what they've really done. I think they might change their mind when the bonus pool rolls out at the end of the year - we haven't had anything like that in the past 4 years, perhaps because the old management couldn't keep us profitable with all the waste and lack of direction.

Cons

Still cleaning up after the old management. It takes years to build up our our best resource - people!

Advice to Management

I think we should have another all-hands meeting to discuss where we are now and where we will be in 6 months. Maybe we should also bring up our recovery, memories of those we have parted with, and perhaps a gentle reminder of where we would be if we hadn't made those hard choices. Those were our friends.

"I like the work here"

I have been working at GSE Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Salaries are competitive (outlying Baltimore suburb).
    The projects are interesting and do provide good engineering/programming experience.
    Many talented programmers and engineers who are enthusiastic about quality simulations; they are key to finishing projects and keeping our long-time customers.
    Flexible work schedule and relaxed core hours.

Cons

Low employee morale. From recent comments on this site, it unfortunately appears that some people have just stopped caring.
    Customers are demanding; they are surprisingly knowledgeable about simulators and a few can be exceedingly fastidious (almost obnoxiously) regarding design specifications, even when we give some generous concessions.
    Some engineers take advantage of the loose supervision, relaxed work schedules, sick leave, and “work”-from-home policies.

Advice to Management

After consistently losing money in recent years, we have to think very differently to be a sustainable business.
    I was surprised by how many off-the-cuff, temperamental comments were here. However, I hope that an astute reader would be skeptical of a cynical review where the only positive comment is about Oscar’s which, incidentally, has been out-of-business and renamed three times since we’ve been in Eldersburg; a reminder, perhaps, of the importance of adapting? It may be worth remembering that layoffs, attrition, and health care increases were also happening before the current management.
    Still, you don’t have to love management. If you are looking for greener grass, know that things might not always be so green (company fortunes can change like the weather). Most companies face cuts at some point (e.g. oil prices affecting the engineers who went to Telvent).

"turnaround working"

Pros

great place to work for folks who want to be part of a dynamic and interesting culture. not always the case with the prior management teams who were clueless. new team is talented and hard working. have increased salaries for folks, created a bonus plan and providing equity to some employees. most of the negative posts are folks who were part of the old guard, had dated skills and are disgruntled. good riddance.

Cons

industry isn't the most dynamic but at some point the nuke industry should rebound. still some older workers who are set in their ways but slowly cluing in that old ways aren't necessary the best way.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work. the results of the past year don't lie. nice thing about being public you can see the results with total transparency.

"I've worked here several years and employee moral is at an all time low."

Current Employee - Administration in Sykesville, MD
    Current Employee - Administration in Sykesville, MD

I have been working at GSE Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The engineers and all employees are helpful, kind, and appreciative of each individual. Have always had a team approach and promoting of communicating, and nurturing.

Cons

Executive manager is driving good employees away by demeaning those who have worked in the business for years. Many have more work than can be completed in even a 50 hour week and it is getting worse by the week.

"Good Place to Work"

I have been working at GSE Systems full-time

Pros

Very talented staff and the products are cutting end engineering grade. Management is forward thinking and has turned the company around financially. Good Pay.

Cons

Losing some talent due to management changes. Tools have outdated look and feel. COO is not a people person. Actually he is a jerk.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the employees, they are overworked in many cases and need some help. This can only last so long and then they will leave.

"Great employees, inept executives"

I have been working at GSE Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The work is interesting and varied. There are opportunities for travel to interesting power plants all over the world, but travel is generally limited so that it doesn't take over your life. As an engineer, you will gain exposure to a lot of power generation control system vendors, including their software and hardware. The rank and file engineers and non-executive supervisors and project managers are intelligent, wonderful teammates that really care about each other.

Cons

The skills needed for simulation are not directly transferable and the new executives (CEO and COO) tried to institute a non-compete agreement that prohibits former employees from working for any of the companies that would be most interested in hiring an engineer with the skills learned at GSES. Consequently, GSES continues to lack competitive pay or benefits and the executives erroneously believe they can take employees for granted. As a result of this approach, and despite the misguided attempt to trap engineers with the new non-compete, key employees are leaving at an alarming rate.

Advice to Management

Revert the egregious policy changes. When introducing new changes in the future, call a meeting and explain why they are financially necessary and provide proof to support those assertions. Stop squeezing the employees to artificially make the company appear profitable.

10. "Good Place to work"

I have been working at GSE Systems full-time

Pros

People are great. Work is fast paced. Traveling is fun sometimes.

Cons

Management can be lacking sometimes.