GSW Marketing & Advertising Reviews | Glassdoor

GSW Marketing & Advertising President, GSW North America Marci Piasecki
Marci Piasecki

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Not a great work life balance environment (in 10 reviews)

• It was the least welcoming place I've ever worked at and that includes retail jobs back in high school (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great place to work!"

I worked at GSW Marketing & Advertising full-time

Pros

Flexible hours
    Possibility of working remotely
    Small office so great exposure to senior and exec teams
    Competitive Salaries across departments

Cons

Turnstyle type of agency, incredible turnover
    Exec team can be 'cliquey' and dismiss ideas from people outside of the group

Advice to Management

Listen to the mid-level and seniors more. Be loyal to your employees and hire more junior level talent, agency is way too top-heavy.

2. "Could be better"

I have been working at GSW Marketing & Advertising full-time

Pros

The culture is like no other company for which I have worked and is likely the thing that keeps many employees at the company. There is a "work hard, play hard" atmosphere and it is supported by upper management. I also like the ability to work from home as needed and being treated like a trusted adult - when the work is done, you can go home.

Cons

Managers are not held accountable for their lack of leadership abilities. Lack of transparency on who/why people are promoted - this causes a "fill-in the blank" type gossip where people assume the worst and spread the gossip like wildfire. There are some people in their roles that seem unqualified. And there is a lot of favoritism played throughout.

Advice to Management

Empower people to anonymously and confidentially talk about their issues. Provide opportunities to give anonymous and confidential feedback regarding their managers. Hold managers accountable for not being "good" managers. Weed out the bad seeds and those that are simply holding on to their position for the paycheck and not the passion for their position. Communicate better - the newsletters are long but lack the details people want to know. Remember that in today's day in age, many people have a limited capacity to read past a certain amount of characters. Don't lose sight of our roots even though we have become a large, global company, we started out small with a passion for medical advertising. We were an ad agency that had talented, excited and passionate employees that were once treated like a family and it is starting to feel like we are a number.

Aug 11, 2017 – VP Agency Operations

Hi. Thank you for writing your comments and sharing them We definitely want to move forward in a positive direction and I appreciate your positive thoughts as well as areas for improvement. You can... More

3. "Employee"

I worked at GSW Marketing & Advertising full-time

Pros

great and talented people to work with

Cons

traffic just too much to take

4. "ACD, CD"

I worked at GSW Marketing & Advertising full-time

Pros

Tend to pay above market rate for creative titles. Decent work/life balance.

Cons

Cliques rule various departments. Lots of toadying. Bonuses shared unequally. Ownership by equity partners who don't have a clue about advertising make too many financial decisions without considering impact on morale and long-term health of the agency. Too much insular talent at senior levels.

Advice to Management

Treat people fairly. Share the spoils equally.

Jul 14, 2017 – VP Agency Operations

Hi. We appreciate your feedback and want to ensure we are using it to better our organization. We appreciate the thoughts you have provided. We believe that this is a people-driven business and... More

5. "Client Services"

I worked at GSW Marketing & Advertising full-time

Pros

If you like playing the political game this is the place for you.

Cons

The agency is about 10 years behind traditional agencies in terms of process, leadership, and management style. The company lets it's own process get in the way of good work.

Advice to Management

Better management training for senior leaders

Jul 14, 2017 – VP Agency Operations

Hi. We appreciate your feedback and want to ensure we are using it to better our organization. We value your opinion about our culture, leadership and the process. We want to continue to make strides... More

"Don't do it!"

Former Employee - N/A in New York, NY
    Former Employee - N/A in New York, NY

I worked at GSW Marketing & Advertising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bagel Mondays and that is about it. I've met some talented people that have left the agency.

Cons

Barely any holidays, expensive health insurance, no bonuses this year, horrible management. high school clique atmosphere, frat like company culture. no career growth. high turnover.

Jun 29, 2017 – VP Agency Operations

Hello. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We definitely want to move forward in a positive direction and your comments on culture, management and career growth are very important... More

"You can do better"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at GSW Marketing & Advertising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bagel Mondays
    Money
    The Admin/HR department rocks

Cons

Cliquey, fratty, unwelcoming, horrible benefits (barely any holidays, expensive health insurance). No career growth and high turnover. A lot of hostility and lack of communication between departments.

Jul 14, 2017 – VP Agency Operations

Hello. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We definitely want to move forward in a positive direction and we need to hear from people like you. I’d really like the opportunity to... More

"Great company"

Pros

Organized, efficient, creative, fun, hardworking

Cons

Lack of work, no job security

May 3, 2017 – VP Agency Operations

Hi. Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. It is so nice to see those positive thoughts. We also appreciate your concerns. If you ever want to discuss further, please feel free to call... More

"Not bad, was once better"

I have been working at GSW Marketing & Advertising full-time

Pros

Good work-life balance. Good compensation. Company mantra is just what this niche needs, so very badly.

Cons

Quality of work seems to be stagnant. Some clients have become absolutely horrible. Lost many, many pitches. And corporate overlords are slithering their way in more and more each day. There just isn't enough of what made GSW unique before they were bought.

Advice to Management

RETURN to what we did well 2,3,4,5 years ago. Stand up to the mothership. Demand that we keep our soul. Because they don't know advertising, don't understand the culture, and will strip us of everything that made us great.

Feb 23, 2017 – VP Agency Operations

Hi. Thank you for the positive comments around our culture and the focus of our company! We appreciate balance and are driving to make sure our work “speaks” every day. We also appreciate you taking... More

"Vice president"

Former Employee - Vice President in Westerville, OH
    Former Employee - Vice President in Westerville, OH

I worked at GSW Marketing & Advertising full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

GSW has the smartest people I have worked with anywhere and that is saying something with a 20 plus year career that has taken me from coast to coast.

I appreciate that the organization invested in senior talent in my career I've rarely seen a firm staffed with many team mates over the age of 35/40 - here there are many and that's appreciated for their insight, maturity and professionalism.

They pay well.

Cons

Since being acquired the holding company has a unrealistic and frankly idiotic focus on billability - their stated objective is 100% and that means 1900 + billable hours EVEN if you have earned vacation.

Creative leadership has slowly degraded to the point that I have seen out right plagiarism, it's embarrassing and shocking - literally senior creatives saying "legal review says we are OK" I mean the fact that we're lifting work and asking for the review SHOULD tell you something.

The pressure to sell-up is getting is to the point of embarrassment - we are losing our role as trusted advisor . . . "would you like fries with that?"

Advice to Management

Management is lost . . . physical relationships with staff

Political maneuvering is obvious and rampant clearly fear based.

So many clinging, it essentially looks like a bad season of survivor

Mar 9, 2017 – VP Agency Operations

Hello. Thank you for the positive comments around our people. You are absolutely right– they are awesome. We also appreciate you sharing your other comments as well. We are always looking to evolve... More