GTB Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
GTB CEO Satish Korde
Satish Korde

Pros
  • Great people, culture, client & work-life balance (in 44 reviews)

• Vacation and holiday package is awesome, plus Summer Fridays are the icing on the cake (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits like summer Fridays are disappearing (in 33 reviews)

• All upper management comes from outside the agency (in 25 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Agency!"

I have been working at GTB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

GTB is a great agency, with great people, doing work for a great client. Very smart people, with a genuine interest in the business and doing the best work for Ford. As part of WPP, the company has great benefits and a generous holiday schedule. Also, lots of fun activities like Spooktacular at Halloween, regular Stereo 550 concerts (Neon Trees, Tegan & Sara, Rachel Platten, and more) , Bring your Parents to Work Day (in addition to Bring your Children to Work Day), and many more.

Cons

I have worked at GTB for about 2 years, and I have been fortunate enough to not experience many, if any, cons. There are politics, but every company has politics.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work; and maybe consider bringing Summer Fridays back, even if a condensed version, i.e. 2-3 days between Memorial Day and Labor Day.

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at GTB full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fun and creative atmosphere. Engaging and challenging projects/work. Profit sharing (but it comes in the form of 401K contributions only.)

Cons

Not willing to reward exemplar employees. Raises in pay not linked to merit, and there is no consistency regarding frequency. If you don't ask for a raise, you certainly won't get one. Not really sure what function the HR department there is for.

Advice to Management

Be known as a place that rewards its employees. It feels like you use the revolving door out front to send employees off for better opportunities, rather than developing the great talent you have in-house.

"Going Downhill Fast"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at GTB full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

5 years ago, listing pros would have been easy. Now, not so much. The only pro that’s left is the good people we work with and the week off between Christmas and the New Year holidays.

Cons

Upper management, upper management, upper management. Under this new regime, morale and the agency dynamic has gone on a rapid downward spiral. At our “more intimate” town hall meetings, where we were told the meetings were being held so they could be more interactive and comments could be heard more clearly, we were treated to a three-ring circus of lies and half-truths like it was a competition. Some of the highlights include, but are certainly not limited to:

• The COO telling us that the bad morale that’s being experienced agency-wide is just a rumor. This is a clear example of exactly how out of touch upper management is.
    • COO’s comment, “All you care about is Summer Fridays and God Damned hot dog parties.”
    • Apparently, working from home is acceptable to our CEO, but frowned down on our COO. However, during that same meeting, our COO told us that she worked from home several days a week after she had one of her kids.
    • Both our COO and CEO denying walking around the buildings after-hours to see if anyone else was working. This was said even after several employees saw them walking around and heard then negatively commenting on how few people were in the office. This took place just months after the “butts-in-seats by 9:00” mandate was handed down. You can’t have it both ways when you’re not willing to compensate or recognize your staff for their performance.
    • Being told that raises were up to individual managers. I’ll hand it to them on this one. Raises are up to the managers. BUT when upper management gives department managers $10k to cover raises for 20 or more people, well . . . you do the math.
    • In the past four months, our Creative Director and HR Director were both fired. Employees at least received a short, cold note announcing the Creative Director’s “departure”, but there was never any mention of the HR Director being fired just three months after starting at GTB (and relocating her entire family, including young children). Understandably, we are not entitled to the details surrounding those decisions. However, treating us like adults and sharing the basic information with us would be the right thing to do. It’s moves like these that cause the rumor mill (that our CEO and COO claim to hate so much) to churn. Tell us what’s going on so people don’t have to speculate. It’s that simple.
    • When the issue of compensation came up, Our CEO had the audacity to say that no one is ever happy with their salary, including him. In their typical tap-dancing fashion, our COO and CEO never gave a straight answer to this question. With the cost of living going up, and cost of living raises not happening, employees are actually working for less money now than a year ago.
    • Both the CEO and COO appear to be under the impression that all employees are replaceable since there is a line of people just waiting to be hired at GTB. Sharing that type of insight with us does nothing for the (“non-existent”) morale problem.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the COO. She’s on a power trip fueled by Our CEO and is quickly dragging the agency down.

"Fading"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Detroit, MI

I worked at GTB full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No crazy overtime is good. Excellent amount of holidays and vacation. The free bagels every Monday are nice. Excellent chairs. Colorful office.

Cons

Management does not like the employees. Zero communication. No honesty. No path for advancement or training. All upper management comes from outside the agency. Get what you can at time of hire. Raises do not exist.

Advice to Management

The complete lack of honest communication was striking at gtb. When times are good this is tolerable. But when times are bad the silences scares people away.

6. "Excellent Company to work for"

Current Employee - UXA in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - UXA in Detroit, MI

I have been working at GTB full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1) Very creative
    2) Focusing on new technologies and ideas
    3) Good balance between work and family life
    4) Understanding bosses

Cons

1) Sulking about losing the summer fridays (I got spoiled)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

"Morale problems, no raises."

I have been working at GTB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Somewhat flexible hours. Convenient location. Fairly reliable and consistent hours. My direct manager is flexible with scheduling and occasionally working at home but this isn't a guarantee across departments.

Cons

Serious morale problems lately. Raises are NOT given - not even small cost of living increases. (As health care costs go up, I am making less money every year.) Senior management is extremely out-of-touch and continually throws mid-management under the bus. Benefits like summer Fridays are disappearing. Upper management does not value employees.

Advice to Management

You can't offer advice to people who aren't willing to listen to it. They know why morale is tanking lately but refuse to listen or do anything about it.

8. "Great place to work, as long as you like big shops"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI

I worked at GTB full-time

Pros

Very smart, passionate people, good benefits, great clients, and a vast amount of tools available

Cons

Big agencies aren't for everyone (making changes can take a while, cliques, etc.)

Advice to Management

Keep tapping into those passions. Tons of amazing potential in every employee

"Was great, now terrible!"

I have been working at GTB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The people!
    -Fun events
    -Diverse
    -The clients!

Cons

CEO and COO are clueless with regards to running an organization!
    This place was one of the best places to work! However, Ever since this new leadership has been in power, it is like we are working under a dictatorship.

Advice to Management

WPP you need to do something fast or else the ship will sink soon.

"Going downhill fast"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at GTB full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great co-workers
    Paid shut-down between Christmas and New Year
    Many extra-curricular activities offered like health classes (cost), food trucks, and enrichment activities.
    Regular access to training and learning of new skills (free Lynda.com access).
    Encourages community involvement and volunteerism

Cons

Raises are non-existent unless you are an executive. Company has acknowledged the issue, but done nothing to change it.
    Because of this, hard to keep any talent. They get experience and move on for better pay.
    EXTREMELY low morale. Made to feel like you should be thankful you even have a job.
    They eliminate positions and you are made to absorb the extra work, even if it requires putting in more hours with no extra pay.
    Cost of healthcare increases annually, with no adjustment in pay. Effectively, bringing home less money every year.
    Upper management taking away perks such as summer Fridays and blaming it on client complaints. (BS)
    Favoritism among employees and groups of employees. The same rules do not apply for all.
    Overall feeling like management doesn't care about employees, only their bottom line. Told how well the client is doing, keep working harder, but no compensation and taking away previously allowed benefits.

Advice to Management

Instead of blowing smoke about how great your employees are, show them they are valued with merit increases.
    Spend less on things like Bagel Mondays and offsite company meetings and you could fund quite a few increases.
    The company is built on more than just your creative department. Acknowledge other areas of support are important and valued.

"Two sides to this coin"

Current Employee - Analytics in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Analytics in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at GTB full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, perks like concerts, food trucks, party for Tiger Opening Day, etc. Great work for Ford, good client relationships.

Cons

Leadership team changeover is making staff feel uneasy. Morale does matter. Lack of raises, few promotions.

Advice to Management

Just as it costs less to retain a customer than gain a new one, it costs less to keep current employees than gain new ones. For those of us sticking around it takes significant time to train new people. Recently our team experienced significant turnover. Every other job besides this had a yearly cost of living increase. We have been told several times they are hiring a compensation analyst, but have seen no results.