GTRI Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
GTRI CEO Greg C. Byles
Greg C. Byles

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Relaxed work environment, not too stressful (in 6 reviews)

• Great people at the Management level (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Lay-offs and turnover are common place (in 4 reviews)

• No 401k matching, their so-called retirement plan is an IRA (in 3 reviews)

1. "DoD Federal Services/Mission Practice"

Current Employee - Mission Practice Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Mission Practice Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at GTRI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are considering a DoD contracting position with GTRI, please know that 99.9% of the reviews on Glassdoor (as of Dec 2017) are for the commercial side, not federal. All the negative reviews spooked me to the point that I almost passed on the job. I am SO glad I didn't. I don't think I've worked for a better management group since I left the military. They are very sensible and supportive with a hands-off, "let me help take care of you, so you can take care of the customer" philosophy. Anyone who has served in a close-knit military unit will understand exactly what I’m talking about. They will literally bend over backwards to help, and they really do try to take care of their own.

Bottom line: If you follow Wheaton’s law and are flexible, adaptable, customer-focused, down-to-earth, and mostly self-sufficient, you will probably love working at GTRI. If you are very ridged, corporate, overly arrogant or need to be spoon-fed, you probably won't.

Cons

-Lots of changes and turnover on the commercial side. Doesn't really affect the Federal side, but it's still worth noting as it can affect moral throughout the company.
    -Working for a smaller DoD contracting company means you will most-likely be a subcontractor, not a prime, and growth opportunities can be limited as a result. However, the federal side is growing like crazy and suspect this won't be a problem for long.
    -The benefits are very weak. There's no sugarcoating it. No 401k match, expensive health plans (no spousal coverage), no bonus, no profit sharing, etc., etc. Unfortunately, it's a small company and there isn't much they can do about it and remain profitable. The lack of benefits is the only real drawback to working here.

Advice to Management

Do what you can to fix the benefits and continue refining the commercial business (maybe translate some of federal’s approach to personnel management to the commercial side?). You obviously can’t make everyone happy, but inspiring productivity is infinitely more effective than firing for it.

2. "intern"

Pros

Good experience, good management

Cons

no free snacks and stuff like that

3. "Not a bad place"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at GTRI (Less than a year)

Pros

Pretty good place to work

Cons

Parking is expensive with limited options

"Stay away this place is horrible"

I worked at GTRI full-time

Pros

Can't think of one other then you have a job

Cons

bad moral, owner is a man/boy. if he does not get his way he throws temper tantrums. Always looking to cut employee's pay instead of rewarding them. I have seen them fire people for no real reason other then they did not like them.

Advice to Management

Sell yourselves your best years are behind you.

5. "Excellent place to Work!"

I have been working at GTRI full-time

Pros

The perks are awesome. Mostly everyone has an office, laptop cellphone tablet provided, ergonomic extras as requested, free snacks, 1 or 2 telecommute days, incredible retirement plan, good pto package, flex time, good management, great culture, great work life balance.

Cons

Need to be more competitive with current salary compensation.

"Dead End"

I worked at GTRI full-time

Pros

Flextime for those individuals that are salaried

Cons

Expect to wait 2 or 3 years for a raise or performance evaluation, unless you’re management.
    No 401k matching, their so-called retirement plan is an IRA
    No tuition reimbursement
    Basic health care plan, high deductibles
    If you are a minority don’t bother applying, this company does not appreciate diversity, in other words they won't hire you

Advice to Management

To the owners: Some of your managers are loud and obnoxious, others are quite, sneaky and clueless. You need to ask yourselves what are they doing for your company other than accepting a pay check.

7. "Graduate Research Assistant"

I worked at GTRI part-time

Pros

flexible work hours esp. for students, variety of projects to work on

Cons

poorly organized structure and management

"Excellent Experience Overall for a company of this size"

Former Employee - Sales & BD in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales & BD in Denver, CO

I worked at GTRI full-time

Pros

Good benefits, Great Sales Team, Strong Leadership, Great location.

Cons

Parking at the Broadway location could be challenging.

Advice to Management

Keep on changing. Focus on the vendors that matter the most. Consider growing the training practice.

9. "Good Company, Some Lack of Direction"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at GTRI full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people at the Management level. Wide variety of solutions, services, vendor options, customer availability. Solid business mode.

Cons

Not much differentiation from other VAR. Didn't diversify enough away from Cisco reselling. Lack of automated processes to facilitate professional services where high margin is. Low margin on HW resale.

Advice to Management

Explore new differentiated solutions. Give better top down direction and insight into company future. Promote and develop from within.

"A great fit for the entrepreneur mindset"

Former Employee - Sales Account Executive in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Account Executive in Denver, CO

I worked at GTRI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I’ve worked many places and have never been compelled to post on Glassdoor, but after my great experience at GTRI, I wanted to share.

I worked in sales for over a year, and GTRI was without question the best company for which I’ve worked.

I fit well within the company because my approach - as I referenced in the title of this review - is to act as an entrepreneur. I assume responsibility for getting things done, asking for help when I need it and this mindset served me well here.

The people in the delivery infrastructure - IT, purchasing, finance, professional services - were always willing to help, and especially in solving creative challenges to serve our customers. They were always tolerant of my mistakes in regards to understanding the systems.

I got along with everybody. The relationships I built throughout the entire company were genuine.

One very important fact is to note the willingness and accessibility of the CEO and President. They were very visible and helpful to me and my team. On multiple occasions we sat down to get an understanding of the business, what works, what doesn’t. I’ve had leaders do drive-bys and say, “Let me know if you need anything” - with no followup. Not here - when I needed something unstuck, I asked and things happened. Individuals that struggled here were the ones that felt other departments should serve and be subservient, not equals in collaboration.

On a personal note, the executive leadership team was extremely generous both on a personal and professional level. Little things like lunches, happy hours - they always picked up the tab. Not to curry favor, but simply because of genuine sincerity.

On several occasions, employees had personal / family challenges and the standing order was to take care of it, we’ll support you.

I aligned very well with the SVP of sales and appreciated the culture change being developed and leadership from that particular role in the company.

Of course there were frustrations and inertia, but that was confined more to systems rather than people. If you want everything your way, and perfect - start your own company. Also, if you like to throw tasks over the wall, and stay in your lane and not take ownership, I think the DMV is hiring. If you are a political player and enjoy building tiny armies, please don’t work here and mess it up for the rest of us.

Think of it this way - if your car breaks down and you stand on the side of the road waving for help, nobody stops. If you get out and start pushing, people will help you push. I got so much done simply by asking, “Can you help me figure this out?”

If you are the type of person that can identify a problem, and then present a solution, you'll be fine - you'll be supported.

I came in with my head down, eyes and ears open, and mouth shut, looking to build relationships and serve customers. That attitude served me well. I only left because I had an amazing opportunity in a dream industry. GTRI was the first job I resigned from that I didn’t want to leave.

I would go back and plan to someday.

Cons

Nothing major. Every company has challenges and issues.

Advice to Management

Continue to try and shrink the operational system(s) footprint.