GTRI Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
GTRI CEO Greg C. Byles
Greg C. Byles

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people at the Management level (in 5 reviews)

• Relaxed work environment, not too stressful (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Lay-offs and turnover are common place (in 4 reviews)

• Sales people and Sales engineers don't know how to sell Professional services (in 3 reviews)

1. "Graduate Research Assistant"

I worked at GTRI part-time

Pros

flexible work hours esp. for students, variety of projects to work on

Cons

poorly organized structure and management

"Excellent Experience Overall for a company of this size"

Former Employee - Sales & BD in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales & BD in Denver, CO

I worked at GTRI full-time

Pros

Good benefits, Great Sales Team, Strong Leadership, Great location.

Cons

Parking at the Broadway location could be challenging.

Advice to Management

Keep on changing. Focus on the vendors that matter the most. Consider growing the training practice.

3. "Good Company, Some Lack of Direction"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at GTRI full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people at the Management level. Wide variety of solutions, services, vendor options, customer availability. Solid business mode.

Cons

Not much differentiation from other VAR. Didn't diversify enough away from Cisco reselling. Lack of automated processes to facilitate professional services where high margin is. Low margin on HW resale.

Advice to Management

Explore new differentiated solutions. Give better top down direction and insight into company future. Promote and develop from within.

"A great fit for the entrepreneur mindset"

Former Employee - Sales Account Executive in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Account Executive in Denver, CO

I worked at GTRI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I’ve worked many places and have never been compelled to post on Glassdoor, but after my great experience at GTRI, I wanted to share.

I worked in sales for over a year, and GTRI was without question the best company for which I’ve worked.

I fit well within the company because my approach - as I referenced in the title of this review - is to act as an entrepreneur. I assume responsibility for getting things done, asking for help when I need it and this mindset served me well here.

The people in the delivery infrastructure - IT, purchasing, finance, professional services - were always willing to help, and especially in solving creative challenges to serve our customers. They were always tolerant of my mistakes in regards to understanding the systems.

I got along with everybody. The relationships I built throughout the entire company were genuine.

One very important fact is to note the willingness and accessibility of the CEO and President. They were very visible and helpful to me and my team. On multiple occasions we sat down to get an understanding of the business, what works, what doesn’t. I’ve had leaders do drive-bys and say, “Let me know if you need anything” - with no followup. Not here - when I needed something unstuck, I asked and things happened. Individuals that struggled here were the ones that felt other departments should serve and be subservient, not equals in collaboration.

On a personal note, the executive leadership team was extremely generous both on a personal and professional level. Little things like lunches, happy hours - they always picked up the tab. Not to curry favor, but simply because of genuine sincerity.

On several occasions, employees had personal / family challenges and the standing order was to take care of it, we’ll support you.

I aligned very well with the SVP of sales and appreciated the culture change being developed and leadership from that particular role in the company.

Of course there were frustrations and inertia, but that was confined more to systems rather than people. If you want everything your way, and perfect - start your own company. Also, if you like to throw tasks over the wall, and stay in your lane and not take ownership, I think the DMV is hiring. If you are a political player and enjoy building tiny armies, please don’t work here and mess it up for the rest of us.

Think of it this way - if your car breaks down and you stand on the side of the road waving for help, nobody stops. If you get out and start pushing, people will help you push. I got so much done simply by asking, “Can you help me figure this out?”

If you are the type of person that can identify a problem, and then present a solution, you'll be fine - you'll be supported.

I came in with my head down, eyes and ears open, and mouth shut, looking to build relationships and serve customers. That attitude served me well. I only left because I had an amazing opportunity in a dream industry. GTRI was the first job I resigned from that I didn’t want to leave.

I would go back and plan to someday.

Cons

Nothing major. Every company has challenges and issues.

Advice to Management

Continue to try and shrink the operational system(s) footprint.

"Making good progress"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at GTRI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Change is really happening there
    Executing on the vision
    Dedicated to changing the company to adapt to market
    Engineering team is great

Cons

Market is in transition
    Too many products and services to sell
    Sales people are reactive
    Sales needs to continue to drive new accounts

Advice to Management

Keep executing he change
    Don't be afraid of getting rid of naysayers and negative cultural influences

"Co-OP"

I worked at GTRI full-time

Pros

Good work environment
    Easy going team of people

Cons

None I can think of as a co-op

Advice to Management

N/A

"Great company and great culture"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at GTRI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong vision and leadership team. Great technical resources.

Cons

More consistent execution and measurement of KPIs

Advice to Management

Follow through and execute on your great vision.

"Change is hard, but worthwhile for those who want to be a part of something bigger than themselves"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Denver, CO

I have been working at GTRI full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture, fun environment, challenging work and owners who care and know every employee by name. The engineering talent is second to none and if you want to learn/grow your technical prowess, you can learn from the best in the industry.

Cons

Change is hard and we are in the midst of of it now and it isn't for the faint of heart. Vendors are fleeting and don't hold their employees accountable to partners at times, especially PAMs and AMs, which is frustrating. Sales leadership is below par and lack the desire/ability to hold their reps accountable which is the reason for some of the other reviews here.

Advice to Management

Your commitment to your employees is evident, but quit hiring sales leadership from OEMs if you are truly committed to becoming a world class delivery organization. You have dozens of committed engineers and quiet leaders who are backing you, but lose confidence at times with the sales leadership decisions you make.

"STAY AWAY"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at GTRI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's not downtown. Food truck is there most days. Close to Sprouts....

Cons

Nothing good to say about this place. I made the wrong decision by choosing this job over another. The negative reviews are spot on! And I do believe most of the positive reviews are fake.
    Management doesn't have the ability make a decision period. Anyone with a brain leaves this place as soon as the realize how bad it is. The place is a revolving door. Close to 50% turnover every year.

I truly feel sorry for anyone that works there.

Advice to Management

Get a pair. Support your people not your own ego.

"Moving in the right direction"

I have been working at GTRI full-time

Pros

It was definitely a tough year in 2016 but seeing the consistent vision gives me more confidence than ever in the company's ability to continue the shift from VAR to consulting firm. The new(ish) HR team's focus on employee improvement is a big plus.

Cons

Some of the old is still there and sometimes it is hard to make the decision to let some of the old go. Pivoting to a new business without outside funding is hard and no one can make the right decision 100% of the time so there are some mid-stream changes at times.

Advice to Management

Some of the former reviews were obviously from people shortly after being let go but some of them were accurate. Continue making the investments in employee development, team building, and (good) employee retention.