GTS Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

1.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Richard J. Wenzel, Jr

"I received a solid foundation to what became my career."

Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Sterling, VA

I worked at GTS Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

GTS stresses the importance of procedures, follow up and follow through. There is a reason why things are done the way they are and accountability is established at all levels. Their ISO certification goes a long way in the industry and the company has a well diversified client base, so 1) they are more secure than other companies in their industry and 2) their employees are able to experience a well rounded approach to the industry by managing all types of shipments and commodities. Yes, lunch on Fridays was good as another reviewer pointed out and their health ins., and 401 K matching while I was there were well above industry average. More importantly, I learned how to enhance my problem solving abilities and GTS gave me a well rounded approach to most aspects of business management. I cannot stress the importance of this enough, as it has served me very well and will continue to do so. Others are not as fortunate and if you do take a job at GTS I would suggest embracing their approach to compliance and procedures. When I was there my successes were rewarded and my failures were constructively criticized.

Cons

I believe I was there at a different time than the first reviewer, as there was enough support and training to get you settled and operating autonomously. Could it have been better? Yes, but I think it's important to note that this is an industry where you either get it or you don't. Particularly within the Logistics Industry a sink or swim mentality to some extent is healthy. I'm not suggesting this is GTS' approach, but I've seen plenty of smart people in this industry fail and to be brutally honest, the company (GTS or similar) is sometimes better off operating without these employees.

Advice to Management

I would give some thought to investing more in beginner training if you haven't already. At the same time I would honestly convey to new hires (as you did with me) that they should be expected to ask questions, problem solve on their own and should be expected to operate independently within xx days from hire date.

Continue to reward success and look for learning opportunities in the mistakes that are made. Continue to refine procedures and streamline the cargo management process. This should be a key component to any logistics company and I believe GTS has a leg up on it's competition in this area. Keep it up.

2. "Wonderful Company"

Former Employee - Marketing, Performance Based Logistics in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Marketing, Performance Based Logistics in Sterling, VA

Pros

They have an excellent air export dept with customer service second to none.

Cons

They have an ocean transportation dept that is a work in progress

Advice to Management

Concentrate on the ocean transportation dept

"Not a employee oriented company"

Current Employee - Warehouse in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Warehouse in Washington, DC

I have been working at GTS Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Lunch on Fridays (pizza)
    Company paid benefits

Cons

Management is rude and unprofessional. You are expected to work late almost every week but they put you as salary so you don't receive over time and it's against company policy to get comp time even if you've worked way over the normal 40 hours in a week. It's been expected to stay as late as midnight in some cases and if you are unable to do this, management is extremely unprofessional and will use it against you.

Advice to Management

Care about benefits and incentives for your employees especially when asking so much of their time and giving nothing back or continue to expect turn around.

"Not an organization you'd want to work for"

Former Employee - Operations Agent in Sterling, VA

I worked at GTS Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free lunches on Fridays
    Sent me to a 3 day course on shipping dangerous goods
    Outside sales people would occasionally visit who were very friendly

Cons

Extremely long days (10-11 hours average) and workweeks with no paid overtime
    Operations agents were very understaffed and received no help from upper management
    Ops agents expected to handle all warehouse duties on top of a ridiculous office workload
    Stressful environment with zero tolerance for mistakes

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees and actually have an employee who has a human resources role or duties. Unless you want to keep up the high turnover rates

"More like a sweat shop"

Former Employee - Operations Agent in Sterling, VA

I worked at GTS Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunches on Friday.
    The Owner is a good guy.

Cons

You work at least 47 hours a week and you can't leave untill everything is done.
    If your new, you take over a project that you must stay till at least 8pm on Fridays waiting for documents to process a shipment. I had to stay till Midnight before and you don't get OT pay.
    They have unreal expectations.
    Don't work here, it's literally the worst job I've ever had.
    Co-workers aren't friendly

Advice to Management

The owner should look into unfair labor laws before someone sues. Plus the positive review was made by GTS Group. They told me so.

"I hated this place from day 1"

Former Employee - Freight Forwarder in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Freight Forwarder in Sterling, VA

Pros

Company paid health benefits
    Free lunches on Friday
    career advancement

Cons

Where do I begin.......
    Endless overtime required (think 10 hour days as an average)
    Zero training but expected to perform immediately.
    Unsupportive, unfriendly colleagues
    Management does not provide direction or guidence
    Management freaks out over mistakes

Advice to Management

-Give your employees proper training and allow for a training period.
    -Allow for work/life balance.

8. "Regret Working Here"

I worked at GTS Group full-time

Pros

It was never boring and there was always something to be doing. We got free lunch on Friday once a month

Cons

Terrible work-life balance. I worked until 8pm some nights but would never be allowed to go home early if there was actually a slow night

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and reward them for how hard they work. Give better compensation, maybe even institute commissions

"Worst company ever worked with"

Pros

To coordinate with superiors is a challenge here. They are very very rude & very hard to handle. No proper work distribution , everyone is doing everything. No guidelines set up. It is like a school here , you can not talk to your colleague , supervisor will come to you will cut your talk & ask for work. No professional culture at all.

Work to death, you may have health issues in this kind of working environment. With busy work , you need to attend , direct calls , take & pass on messages etc. , they do not have front desk. No HR personnel to assist if you have any issue with your payroll , you have to contact directly to the payroll service centre only.

This company is not an equal opportunity employer. No matter what experience you have they will assign the work what they want you to do , not according to your work experience.

Cons

Nothing good about working here. You can not grow in such environment. For beginners may be learning experience but be ready to work in school environment

Advice to Management

Take care of employees, providing free lunch on Friday is not enough care. Spare some good space for relax & take lunch.

10. "Work you to death"

Pros

Free lunch on Fridays
    Nothing really else to put as a pro for this place but
    People there are ok I guess

Cons

No support from upper management
    Have to stay till they say you can go even if it is midnight

Advice to Management

Redo management under ceo

11. "Not bad"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sofia (Bulgaria)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sofia (Bulgaria)

I have been working at GTS Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

company life, food, workers, building

Cons

salary, compensation, bonus, car allowance

Advice to Management

please increase the salaries