Gachina Landscape Management Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John P Gachina

1. "Great team to work with"

Current Employee - Accountant in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Accountant in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Gachina Landscape Management full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've worked at Gachina Landscape Management for 8+ years. My experience in accounting department has been positive. I've been given opportunity to grow my career, and learn the business. My manager values my idea, and gives me freedom to work.

Cons

The environment is sometimes too loud.

2. "Enriching the life of everyone and everything we touch"

Current Employee - Customer Experience/Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Experience/Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Gachina Landscape Management part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Leadership team is hands on
    Not afraid to make changes / think outside of the box
    Employees have autonomy
    Fantastic reputation
    Truly cares about all employees
    Best owner in the business
    Flexibility
    Excellent training programs

Cons

Very demanding workload - difficult to juggle the requirements with home demands;
    Summer time is stressful - "summer in the landscape industry"

Advice to Management

continue to invest in your employees; continue to be an industry leader - stay on top of new technology; provide the resources for all employees to succeed

3. "Accountant"

Former Employee - Accountant in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Accountant in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Gachina Landscape Management full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly co-workers. Good environment. Great presentation.

Cons

No direction from upper management.

Advice to Management

Company needs better consultants.

"Great people! Great company!"

I have been working at Gachina Landscape Management full-time

Pros

Gachina is the best landscaping company I've worked for. The staff is very knowledgeable about the business. Big emphasis on safety! Training is a big deal too. Regular training takes place for safety and landscaping techniques. The company offers classes for the maintenance crew members in irrigation and strives to promote from within. This company is much more at the leading end of the industry that others I have worked for. Something to consider if your desire to stay relevant in any industry.

I was introduced to the company through a third party and the HR staff was especially helpful. I felt as if they had my best interest in mind from the get go and that hasn't changed. In order to make the transition to the company a smooth one they put together a month-long agenda for orientation and training. I was able to meet all the office staff and learn exactly what it was that they did. This made it much easier for me now when I have to go looking for information. I was also able to work in the field which helped me build relationships with maintenance staff before I was their manager.

It's nice that the company is privately owned. John Gachina is a great guy. He treats you well, with respect and he likes to have fun. That fun vibe translates throughout the rest of the company during company-wide events. He is accessible and his door is always open.

The branch managers are also very knowledgeable. They have a lot of experience in the industry which is evident when spending time with them on the job. It seems as though everyone here wants you to succeed. This is a great place to learn from those around you.

Of course, other pros include the benefits:
    Laptop to work from home with wireless card to work in the field
    Truck to take home
    Bluetooth provided if desired
    IT is great and helpful when you need it
    Insurance!
    iPhones coming soon!

Cons

I work from a satellite yard about half an hour from the main office that doesn't have electricity or running water. I knew this coming into the job but it has presented a few unanticipated challenges. All my paperwork must be printed and turned in at the main office which makes it difficult to manage time when having to print and return documents. The staff is aware of this problem, however, and options are being considered to remedy the situation.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

6. "Best company to work for - extremely rewarding"

Current Employee - Business Development in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development in San Jose, CA

Pros

Autonomy, independence, flexibility, empowerment, support, reputation, opportunity for advancement, training, commitment to the community, customer service and quality focus, awards, local, hands on owner, dedicated and hard working employees - diverse team

Cons

Demanding, must go the extra mile, cumbersome systems, employee turnover

Advice to Management

Employee development and reward contributions; fix systems or bite the bullet and start over.

7. "Excellent company to work for!!!"

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Gachina Landscape Management full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great work environment. People care for each other. It is like a family.
    Great team work.Excellent work environment.
    Goals are clear and everyone works towards them.
    Company owner cares about workers and every one loves him. He is a great leader!
    Company spens a lot of money yearly for training employees, including field workers. For this reason workers stay for a long time. We have many 10+ or 10+ years working for Gachina.
    Gachina provides many opportunities to grow professionally at all levels. I am an example of that growing from the bottom up. We have field guys who are not in Management positions.
    Company provide all resources to make employees successful (equipment, tools, knowledge, etc).
    Company cares about community Every year we spend time/money to build gardens for schools, cleaning churches, donating for community events such as Breast cancer walks, etc.
    It is a well recognized company in the Bay Area. Not a small company and yet not too large where almost everyone knows everyone.
    Great company to work for.

Cons

Goals required hard work, but they are reasonable and can be met.

Advice to Management

Continue to work on developing people. This makes the difference from other companies.

8. "Great Company Culture!"

Current Employee - Human Resource Director in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resource Director in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

Company focus on customer service and quality. Employees are given autonomy to take care of their customers. We have a great team of dedicated, hard-working employees. Fast-paced, dynamic work environment and a great company to grow your career. Gachina provides in-house employee training and development programs. We also partner with Landscape Training Solutions to provide training programs for Crew Leaders and Management. It is our company culture to provide employees with opportunity for growth and advancement. We are an industry and Bay Area leader. Great team, great place to work.

Cons

In the past, we have experienced growing pains. The company is taking steps to resolve issues. In 2013 we hired a General Manager, who is helping the company focus on customer service, operational efficiencies, and quality. We are turning challenges into strengths.

Advice to Management

Continue to build strong, cohesive teams. Focus on employee development and reward contributions.

"Meat Grinders people killers represive sad no other way to turn to, so deal with it or leave."

Former Employee - Driver/No One Else Has A License Undocumented Workers in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

Nice trucks, uniforms, equipment, yards, good pay for upper management, leads, office workers and anyone who has a legal right to work in the USA.

Cons

Managment is harsh to workers, most workers are undocumented. No breaks on rush days special if your undocumented. Harasment from leads. Pushing employees for more work. Time Card balancing act to add up to eight hours.workers expected to work at owners house even if scared of his dog.

Advice to Management

think how it would feel if you were on the other foot, or in their place.

"The best landscape company to work for in The Bay Area!"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

Working for this locally-owned company is great, no corporate reports, no corporate restructuring, no acquisitions. Unlike some larger CA landscape companies, Gachina does offer full benefits to all their employees. Owner cares about quality, which is why after 21 years in the business this company has a great reputation for quality. Owner believes in educating all levels of staff including, english as a second language, irrigation and landscape managment training. Employees are incentivised to improve skill levels.

Cons

Of course we are pushed to make budgets, that is how the real estate world works. But our hours goals are clear and distributed weekly. Most businesses are for-profit and profit requires understanding costs and profits. All landscape crews wish they had more time, but more time doesn't mean that we can keep jobs.

Advice to Management

The owner is passionate about this company that he is built. If you are not passionate, you won't last here!

"move on"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Spiffy trucks, a few very good folks working there.

Cons

This place is a meat grinder. People are pushed hard but not given direction. Very frustrating place to work. Should be more like some of the other landscapers that actually care about their customers, employees, and long term vision.

Advice to Management

sell to one of the upcomming companies