Gafcon Reviews | Glassdoor

Yehudi Gaffen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great company!"

I worked at Gafcon full-time

Pros

I enjoyed working here- meeting new people who worked at the corporate office and at the job site as well. Really family like community workplace at corporate. My former boss was easy going and well praised by his peers.

Cons

I believe honesty is the best policy especially at work. Upper management's treatment of some employees is questionable.

2. "Once good, now: you can do better"

I worked at Gafcon full-time

Pros

Some of the people are good. Lots of smiles.

Cons

Poor management, complete lack of leadership.
    The office is that horrible penny-pinching open type sold as stimulating communication but in reality is a cheap way to house laborers.
    You will be expected to work long hours, more than what you are paid for and your tiny bonus is based on extra billable hours you've worked during the year.
    Salary is lower than market rate. They will suggest this is balanced by company culture however holiday parties are a thing of the past.
    Zero career growth opportunities.
    Cost-reduction financial situation means remote offices are neglected.
    You won't be allowed to have a trash bin at your desk. Execs are allowed, but peons are not worthy of the expense.

Advice to Management

CEO and President are worthless and need to retire. Complete the transition to the son as the CEO. Raise capital so that you can make badly needed investments in growth.

"Coordinator of some sort."

I have been working at Gafcon full-time

Pros

Not much to be honest.

Cons

Lacked organization, dreary setting, all around depressing.

Advice to Management

A course on basic rapport for some of the employees would be a good idea, not to mention knowing what you hired someone for.

"Eh... Just ok."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santee, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santee, CA

I worked at Gafcon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After working there for almost a year, I finally started to feel like I wasn't completely invisible. People were nice, for the most part. Lost of company events. Christmas parties USED to be excellent. I like the work hard, play hard motto.

Cons

Seems like it started off in the right direction, family owned, operated and oriented. Now it's all corporate and all upper management and the owners care about is the almighty buck. Screw your loyal employees. Employees who are tight with a particular clique are untouchable. In my department, the manager was almost never there, and his next in charge was not qualified to run the department in his absence. I never felt comfortable speaking to anyone in HR, I didn't trust that they would keep anything I said confidential.

Advice to Management

Remember your roots and the company you started out to be.

"Opportunity for growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Gafcon (Less than a year)

Pros

Open door policy. Some opportunity for growth.

Cons

Management likes to start new initiatives but never seems them through.

Advice to Management

Consistency is key. Don't play favorites, base opinions on actual performance.

"Project Manager"

Pros

Benefits, initial training for some employees

Cons

Upper Management very questionable and trust is an issue

Advice to Management

Consider treating all employees/clients fairly and with honesty. Also reevaluate value provided and true value to clients.

7. "Enjoyed working with all the nice professional people, including the upper management."

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in East San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in East San Diego, CA

I worked at Gafcon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company culture is outstanding.

Cons

They have not called back to rejoin the team.

Advice to Management

The company needs to rehire the employees, in good standing, who were let go due to completed projects. This would save the company time and money in the long run as far as training.

One never has to worry about sexual harrassment or bullying at this company. Upper management and the HR Department does a great job with several awareness trainings and GafCollege seminars which are very beneficial to the company and their employees. For the most part, a very harmonious place to work.

I am always proud to say I was a part of the Gafcon team. In my opinion, it is the "Ivory Tower" of construction management.

"Average Employer"

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Gafcon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They have nice corporate events.

Cons

Privately held husband and wife team. They enjoy the good life you enjoy an average life. Average pay for the industry with little of no bonuses or raises.

Advice to Management

Employees in the corporate office are not billable. Lower the headcount of non billable support and give more rewards to the billable employees who are in front of the clients representing the project's and the company. When the construction business is great share the profits. Investing in another company to provide an additional service is okay but not at the expense of the loyal employee.

9. "Like a number of us, I left and came back because Gafcon is a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

There are lots of reasons I came back, including: people who really care about you (a family and team environment), the opportunities to make a difference within the company and for our clients, interesting and challenging work, leaders who listen to and value what employees have to say, good working conditions and a competitive salary and benefits.

Cons

Gafcon is getting ready to celebrate its 25 year anniversary so the company is still somewhat young. Like all companies, it has experienced some growing pains as it matures. This has caused some employees to look elsewhere, but I think the change is for the better.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on the big picture and start to lean more heavily on your team. You have a gathered a talented group of individuals and it will be better for everyone if you enlist their help rather than feeling like you have to do it all at the top only.

"Once a great culture...now identity?"

Pros

Some great legacy personnel that are highest of class and true team players. Owner is great. Gafcon has a truly diverse set of employees with great strengths that, if properly managed and recognized, could potentially help propel the company to new heights.

Cons

Gafcon has always been a cutting edge company on the bleeding edge of technology and market foresight. However, this has not always been best translated into positive results.

Advice to Management

Promote professional debate as you do have employees that have much to offer.