Gainsight Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Gainsight CEO Nick Mehta
Nick Mehta

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Open work environment/ transparency of company" (in 13 reviews)

• "visionary leader the embodies the spirit of Gainsight/customer success" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work / Life balance can be a challenge" (in 5 reviews)

• "Make sure to not lose sight of your personal life" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing Culture at an Industry Leader"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Gainsight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am very proud to work for a company that shares my core values. Our goal is to bring success to our customers, their customers, our stakeholders, our families, and our selves.

Super Flexible ability to work from home
    Great Benefits (Zero Deductible PPO)
    Unlimited PTO
    Tons of free Lunches
    Amazing CEO
    Industry defining product
    Ability to make an impact
    Absolute transparency on goals and results

Cons

The free food can have an impact on your waistline

Advice to Management

Please keep up the enthusiasm and transparency. It is amazing and greatly appreciated.

Mar 13, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts! And I agree on the waistline comment - ughh!

"At Gainsight, Business is Personal"

Current Employee - Client Outcomes Manager in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Client Outcomes Manager in Remote, OR

I have been working at Gainsight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

An amazing company to work for! Every co-worker is focused on making the organization successful and a true leader in a new industry. From the best-of-breed tech, to the thought leadership, Gainsight is positioning itself for a very bright future and high valuation IPO. The list of perks are very hard to beat:

- Better than industry compensation
    - Employer paid Healthcare
    - Unlimited PTO
    - Catered lunches and snacks
    - Leadership who is focused on your success
    - Executive team who are focused on growth but also on the employees
    - CEO is truly amazing. Work ethic, intelligence, passion, openness, humble. I cannot say enough good things about Nick.

Cons

While the company is leading the industry and had approximately 500 employees, it is still in start-up mode which means some processes are still being developed. Additionally if you are a remote employee you need to work a bit to stay plugged in. Other areas for improvement include:

- 401k match
    - Corporate cards
    - Sharing perks with Remote teams
    - Lack of clarity on components that will make up variable compensation
    - On-boarding program needs to be expanded

Advice to Management

We are on an amazing path so stay the course! We are building something at Gainsight that will revolutionize the software industry!

We need to be careful not to make the Platform have a use case for every customer and business, stay core to Customer Success.

Make sure we keep up with Product knowledge internally. It can be tough to stay on top of all the developments and use cases.

The change to monthly deployment schedule has resulted in more bugs. Need to focus on QA and testing before release.

Make sure to keep remote employees part of your focus. Bay Area gets the most love (as it should) but keep others top of mind.

Look into a 401k match

May 20, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for the ideas. It's obvious your advice is well-thought out and constructive. Two comments. Agree that onboarding could be better. In fact, revamping onboarding is one of five company... More

"Sales"

I worked at Gainsight full-time

Pros

Good quality folks among the CS & SE organization. Excitement about the CS space. Great user conference.

Cons

Mixed leadership directives from the top. Things are driven from a few folks with decisions reactionary. More focus on market perceptions than their employees.

Advice to Management

Hire more seasoned folks in management and let them manage. Be consistent in approaches and deal with issues head-on

Jun 13, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback. We strive to not only listen to our employees but act on their input. And while we try to deal with issues head-on, we obviously need to keep... More

"The Toughest Job You'll Ever Love"

I have been working at Gainsight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great leadership who aren't afraid of transparency and being challenged - they welcome candid feedback and act on it. Leaders do not use their title to be on a "pedestal" They are genuinely great people where you feel you can talk to any leader, no matter their position.

Great people - this place is literally filled with rock star employees - people work hard but also value their personal lives. The culture is very respectful, and l honestly love the interactions I have with pretty much everyone, even on the hard days when things get really busy.

Always something to learn: this company is in a really cool space right now - they are scaling to the next level and that means things are moving quickly and rapid change is occurring. There are a lot of opportunities to learn and grow, getting out of your comfort zone. It's sometimes uncomfortable and possibly not for everyone - but for those who love a challenge - it's awesome. You'll never be stagnant here.

The best CEO I've ever worked for. I've been working in the corporate world for 27 years now, so that is genuinely saying something. I don't know how Nick does it - he knows everyone by name. He knows what you do for the company and he leads the company in reminding everyone by example everyday to find the childlike joy in what we do - I've never worked for a CEO that is so driven by helping people and our customers. He's literally human first culture personified. He's not afraid of radical candor and conducts weekly roundtables with random employees to get ideas on how we can improve and learn.

Cons

Work / Life balance can be a challenge. There is so much to be done, limited headcount as we grow, and that is difficult. When so many people you work with are so intrinsically motivated and love their work, it can seem like you may be falling behind. One thing I've learned is to set boundaries around my personal time and to communicate honestly about my bandwidth and other projects. You have to be very disciplined and focused - but you will also get to do some incredible work with really amazing customer companies and teammates. Leadership is also addressing work/life balance from the top down - though change takes time - things are improving and the culture supports individuals being healthy and balanced. However, you may feel like you are never going to get caught up, and that can be very discouraging.

Remote working can be challenging when it comes to more strategic projects and thinking. I love that the remote environment enables us to bring in some pretty amazing people, but it can be challenging when working on large projects.

Advice to Management

I'd recommend that teams gather at least monthly and carve out time to work on strategic projects. It can be difficult to get project work done with the remote culture and interruptions with day to day work.

Evaluate work required of individual contributors that is both strategic/innovation (takes major time to create) and the day to day reactive work required of their role. Provide support to help individuals work smarter and be more strategic with their time - whether it is a "no meeting" day each week for people to catch up and plan their days, etc.

The 24 hour email response rule is difficult when one can receive up to 500 emails a day - it's almost impossible. We need to find a better way to communicate that everyone follows and make this an initiative or use a software that enables work to be requested of different teams so those "emails" can be routed where they need to be and it is easier to discern what each communication means.

May 29, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Very valuable (and timely) input. Thanks so much. We just rewrote our "Communication Manifesto" and added guidelines aimed at making email more efficient. As much as I love people (I guess I'm in... More

"Hype Train"

I have been working at Gainsight full-time

Pros

-The actual software is killer, even though no one can figure it out

Cons

The company is a post sales sweatshop. Very poorly run. 50 hours/week minimum

Leadership literally has NO business experience but now runs Gainsight. Look up the VPs on LinkedIn and see how they were 'advisors' etc.

The CEO is so cool that he approves for the company to pay for an LA rap video while 80% of the staff never got a raise in the last two years.

Success for all. Golden rule?

Advice to Management

At one time we wanted the customers to be successful now it's just numbers and board reports. I really think the CS is just a fad.

May 28, 2018 – CEO

I'm so sorry about your experience here. I strive hard to try to make everyone's experience here (teammates, families, clients, partners, community, investors) great and I've failed in that regard... More

"Best people to work with!!"

I have been working at Gainsight full-time

Pros

I have come from other companies where people just want to be left alone and keep to themselves. Here is the total opposite (in the best way possible). Everyone is extremely helpful. Will go out of their way to help you out, regardless if you are in a different department.
    Great Office perks and office settings.
    Nick is a very approachable person, loves to know how you've been and what's going on. Any cools movies? How was your weekend? Other CEOs just pass you and do not acknowledge your presence.

Cons

Keep doing a great job!!!

May 3, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Glad to hear that your experience has been positive. I agree with your point about Nick being very approachable. A sure-fire conversation starter with Nick is, "what kind of ice cream do you like... More

"Gainsight is a great place to work, grow, and be yourself!"

I have been working at Gainsight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The biggest pros are the people, culture, work-life balance, diversity, customers, and technology. Our management team is great too and uses a human-first approach driven by our CEO.

Cons

As one of our many remote employees, it is sometimes hard to feel like part of the core team.

Advice to Management

Stick with your core values, focus on the Customer Success industry that we have created, and never forget all the people who helped climb this mountain. :)

Apr 27, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for the great review. We care deeply about creating an awesome experience for all of our teammates with a special emphasis on our remote employees. Share your ideas. We want to get better at... More

"Best job I've ever had"

I have been working at Gainsight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing, collaborative team culture
    Tight alignment between sales/CS and product to ensure our product develops in a way that our customers want
    Focus on rewarding good work and employee career development
    A transformative opportunity to not just do great work but be a part of the company that is the thought leader in its industry
    Employees and management are kind here - that sounds cheesy but I work with genuinely kind, empathetic people

I can honestly say that I wake up excited to come to work every day, and I can tell Gainsight will grow me as a professional in a way that I never expected it to.

Cons

There is a LOT of work, and if you don't set boundaries for yourself, you can spend most nights doing it. Make sure to not lose sight of your personal life.

Advice to Management

Remind employees that personal lives are important. We should also start setting expectations with customers that as we grow, we can't be expected to "do everything" for our customer base - we need to embrace more of the "teach them to fish" mentality.

But that's me nitpicking. In general, this is the best job I've had and I couldn't be happier here.

Mar 14, 2018 – Chief People Officer

It's great hearing about your positive experience at Gainsight. I know from personal experience that setting boundaries can be hard. But our life outside of work matters. I agree that we need to... More

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Gainsight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Gainsight is the market leader in Customer Success technology, and has catalyzed the industry into a business imperative.
    -They hire great people so you feel like you're on an A team.
    -Positive culture, they care about employees being human.
    -This company is going places. You can too by being there.

Cons

-Opportunity for market dominance + team of high achievers make this a place where you will end up working as hard as you can; must set boundaries for yourself.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your people, they have good insights for the business.

Feb 24, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. And good advice about setting boundaries!

"Great experience at"

I worked at Gainsight full-time

Pros

Incredible management team (led by Nick) and category defining company.

Cons

There are a couple of major offices which are roughly siloed by function. Engineering is in Bangalore, Support is in St. Louis, most of the CSMs and management are in the Bay Area. This makes cross-department collaboration tougher than just walking across the hall.

Jan 29, 2018 – CEO

Excellent input. To some extent, the geographic dispersion is a reality - and provides some big benefits for us in terms of being able to work with people anywhere (particularly work-from-home... More