Gainsight Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Gainsight CEO Nick Mehta
Nick Mehta

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Gainsight is a truly special place"

I have been working at Gainsight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- startup within a scaleup mentality
    - radical transparency balanced with child like joy
    - feeling that each employee is truly making an impact and helping to write our story
    - agile, innovative and collaborative
    - true belief that our company values drive company initiatives
    - visionary leader the embodies the spirit of Gainsight/customer success
    - being part of something special: knocking right on the door of something big

Cons

- not all departments are created equal
    - have to be able to quickly adapt and roll with the punches, sometimes daily
    - as we grow, so do the politics

Advice to Management

- continue to invest in employee success through manager trainings and enablement
    - as we scale, continue to invest in our culture (offices and remote) by continuing AMAs and other initiatives to unite the various offices/ departments

2. "AMAZING COMPANY AND CULTURE"

I have been working at Gainsight full-time

Pros

Great leadership, fun culture, driven personalities that deiver equal results.

Cons

No 401k matching, promotion/bonus structure seem unclear

"No Progression and Management and VPs Can't See Flaws"

I have been working at Gainsight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Unlimited PTO (which very few take)
    -Catered Lunches
    -Relaxed Work From Home Policy

Cons

-Removed 401k Match for better health insurance. I understand the tradeoff, however most of the employees are young and would MUCH prefer a 401k match.
    -Double standards for promotion review process. For example, recently someone was promoted to a VP in a matter of days, however getting promoted as an individual contributor will take months if you're lucky.
    -Pay is way below market which has been proven with data, however nobody will address it.
    -The same ~5 people solve all the issues. The others are just there to never progress and lean on those same people. This leads to fatigue, obviously.
    -No option to progress as an individual contributor because all management looks for are "change agents". The true "change agents" are the ones doing the work day to day, putting in 60+ hours a week quarter over quarter while execs and managers have "strategic thinking and no meeting" blocks on their calendar for hours a week.
    -All execs are in one office. No VPs in one office which leads to no progression, career advancement or face time with execs (except for the once a quarter they may swing by for 1/2 a day)
    -Constant reorgs of the post sales team. No consequences for poor choices made by VPs and above. The poor choices just mean the same core individual contributors have to pick up the slack as always.
    -The constant reorgs mean that you are consistently having to prove yourself to mangers over and over again which leads to no advancement and a "let's talk in a quarter" attitude.
    -Time constraints are not great. We have a distributed employee approach which means calls with India at 6am and midnight. Hope you don't have a personal life or free evenings because you'll be working late most nights.
    -Did I mention the pay is way under market?

Jul 3, 2017 – CEO

First of all, thank you for writing this. While I've done a poor job driving success for you, I can tell you care and want Gainsight to be better.

Second, you are 100% right. While your... More

"Great work environment with lots of opportunities to take ownership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Gainsight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great perks (catered lunches 3x a week)
    - Unlimited PTO
    - Dog friendly environment
    - Flexible work hours (ability to work in SF or RWC office)
    - Personal trainer at our offsite gym (2x a week)
    - Bi-weekly massages (sign-ups)
    - Fun and different 5 core values that all Gainsters live by
    - 100% medical, dental, and vision covered
    - Paid paternity and maternity leave
    - 401K
    - Open work environment/ transparency of company

Cons

Since the company is very flexible with wfh/remote, there is a lack of team bonding events.

Advice to Management

It would be great if HR is able to plan some off site events (e.g. happy hour, bowling, mini golf) to create a better sense of team in the office.

"Incredibly smart, driven culture in a rapidly growing space"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Gainsight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Everyone gets involved with Customers from the Execs down
    - Customers love the product and, more importantly, the team that supports them in their desired outcomes
    - Customer Success is on the short list of priorities for every Fortune 500 CEO and Gainsight is the market leader

Cons

- People are expected to catch up and keep up with a very intelligent core. Good for most, bad for some, but this approach seems to retain top talent.

Advice to Management

Keep charging forward and take the time to truly get to know all of your employees.

Jan 29, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for sharing your experiences. While I still think we have a long way to go in our mission, it's nice to hear the positive feedback. I agree that as we scale, the test is whether we keep... More

"Very high velocity"

I have been working at Gainsight full-time

Pros

Very impressive investment in their technology -- a remarkable % of the company involved in building the product.

High % of extremely talented people.

Some excellent recent hires with great industry experience. Strong leadership team in general.

Very healthy attitude towards PTO.

Tremendous embrace and ownership of the negative feedback that has been posted on Glassdoor. The leadership team has taken it to heart and is taking strides toward meaningful change.

Cons

The WFH and work remote culture is having a negative impact on the sense of "team". Redwood City feels like a ghost town.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in people with strong industry experience.

Jan 29, 2017 – CEO

Great input. I think you capture the pros well. I do think that our company is not perfect but we try to own that imperfection when it shows up (e.g., in negative feedback) and act on it. To that... More

7. "A category defining company with high ambition, yet character-driven culture."

I have been working at Gainsight full-time

Pros

There aren't many opportunities in life to work for a company that isn't seeking to disrupt an existing market, but rather to create a new one. That bold vision and thoughtful execution has catapulted the role of Customer Success Manager to recognition as one of CNN's 'Best Jobs in America' in 2017, and as a result, Gainsight as the leader of this new Customer Success movement.

The work is hard, but incredibly fulfilling. What I appreciate most about Gainsight is that senior leadership is attentive to the strain that scale can put on employees, and very transparent about challenges when they are surfaced. This constant self-assessment and push to do better for both teammates as well as shareholders is what makes Gainsight truly a great place to work.

Cons

I mentioned this above but scaling is very hard, especially for a company of high ambition like Gainsight. The hours can be long, but it's less of a 'con' if you genuinely believe in the mission of the business and feel challenged and supported in your role.

Advice to Management

Stay transparent. Stay thirsty in your quest to improve work/life balance and deliver teammate success, while of course, leading us to delivering the outcomes we're all working so hard for.

Jan 29, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad to hear your experience thus far has been positive. While I still think we have a long way to go to get to the company we want to be, it's good to hear... More

"Negative environment"

I worked at Gainsight full-time

Pros

- The company itself has shown solid progression in the marketplace.
    - Certain departments/leaders show promise.

Cons

After taking a lot of time to contemplate my sentiment towards Gainsight after leaving the company in 2016, and after having months of experience in a new role/new company, I have been able to form a thorough perspective on Gainsight as a whole and the truly negative environment that exists in its workplace:

-- MOST IMPORTANTLY: As a new employee, you will not be set up for success. As opposed to other companies where your manager will support you how you need it, be your internal champion, and set you up for success --> here, your manager will most likely throw you under the bus, not help you overcome your weaknesses, or have a condescending attitude towards you. They will not look out for your best interests, and that will become clear to you. Therefore, your work will suffer, your growth will suffer, and you will find yourself in an extremely negative environment.

-- Managers (specifically mid-level ones) want your life to be as difficult as possible. There is no care or concern for your personal life or life outside work, but there is a care to make sure you stay under them and don't proceed up the company ladder. Your hours, your ability to success and grow, and your personal life will suffer.

-- There is a facade of helpfulness and collaboration. Having this attributes is what the company might like to think, but after experiencing other work environments, one can quickly realize that at Gainsight, everyone has their own agenda, and they only care about themselves. There is no genuine desire to collaborate or help, only to do so if it benefits that person. This creates an extremely negative environment that lacks true innovation and creativity.

-- You will be extremely micro-managed. You will not be able to have a remotely autonomous experience or be able to push initiatives on your own. If you don't fall perfectly in line with those around you and above you, you will be ostracized.

-- You will be unhappy. No one at this company is happy and it's because of the negative culture that has been set by mid & mid-to-high level managers. Don't get me wrong - there are a ton of extremely talented people at this company. It's beyond me as to why they've stayed as long as they have, but I'm confident that won't continue unless things change.

Advice to Management

Not sure where to start, but there's a lot to be done.

Jan 29, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to write this. It's clear from the thoughtfulness that you put into this that you care about your former teammates and want things to be better. That being said, I'm so... More

"An Exceptional Company in a Rapidly Growing Space"

Former Employee - Senior Solutions Consultant in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Solutions Consultant in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Gainsight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Very strong and approachable executive management
    - Everyone helps out - there are no fiefdoms
    - Robust solution offering in a space Gainsight created

Cons

- Still a relatively small company; expect to rollup your sleeves and get out of your comfort zone
    - While growing, the customer success space is still in nascency and higher risk

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing - striving for excellence while still keeping an open and awakened mind.

"Solid company but has its quirks"

I worked at Gainsight full-time

Pros

The product itself has a great reputation in the space. Gainsight has established itself as the thought-leader in customer success. There are several really great people who are passionate about what they do and it tends to carry to company.

Cons

The company culture if a bit of a mixed bag. Each office has a different vibe. The work with the India offices sometimes makes it difficult to keep work/life balance. Very little tech investment in the US, rather focusing efforts in India. That makes it difficult when US customers want to have meetings with dev and product teams during the US day.

Advice to Management

Try to strike a balance of business operations and technology globally. May be more costly initially but will pay off in the end.

Dec 15, 2016 – CEO

Thank you so much for taking the time to share input on your experience.

I want to take a few minutes to comment on the post to share my point of view. I want to continue to do a better job of... More