Gainsight Reviews | Glassdoor

Gainsight CEO Nick Mehta
Nick Mehta

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The work with the India offices sometimes makes it difficult to keep work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• For many, this company has become an unpleasant place to work, with no work-life balance and a prevailing sense of anxiety and discouragement (in 2 reviews)

"Great experience at"

I worked at Gainsight full-time

Pros

Incredible management team (led by Nick) and category defining company.

Cons

There are a couple of major offices which are roughly siloed by function. Engineering is in Bangalore, Support is in St. Louis, most of the CSMs and management are in the Bay Area. This makes cross-department collaboration tougher than just walking across the hall.

Jan 29, 2018 – CEO

Excellent input. To some extent, the geographic dispersion is a reality - and provides some big benefits for us in terms of being able to work with people anywhere (particularly work-from-home... More

2. "Bay Centric"

I worked at Gainsight full-time

Pros

Exciting company that's growing extremely fast. Fun and flexible working environment. Great core attitudes that are mostly followed. Strong and inspiring leadership. Gainsight is at the center of their industry and dominates their competition. If you believe in Customer Success, Gainsight is where you want to work.

Cons

While the company has its roots in St. Louis, over time the company has placed all leadership and decision making in the Bay Area (with a satellite office in Phoenix that focuses on Marketing). While the leadership repeatedly will tell everyone in the company there is no "main office" due to the distributed team, the reality is that all of the important decisions are made in the Bay area and everyone learns of them later. This has led to many positions being essentially relocated to the Bay Area, and in some cases, entire teams. Not a con if you're in the Bay Area, but if you are looking to work in the St. Louis office, understand you will forever be the little brother or sister and not be able to climb into a senior leadership role.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work with the core values, but keep in mind that everyone has a strong role in the company's success. While the fun environment and team building activities go a long way to make for a happy office, you can foster deeper appreciation by soliciting--and incorporating--everyone's opinions. This goes beyond engagement surveys (which are done often and done effectively), and includes adding leadership from each office into GM meetings.

Jan 29, 2018 – CEO

Really appreciate you sharing this. As you point out, my goal is to make Gainsight a company where your contribution and satisfaction are uncorrelated to where you live, but I also recognize we have... More

"Great place to work for sales!"

Current Employee - Sales in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Gainsight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As we continue to crush this space, there's a lot of sales opportunities out there! You just need to work hard. This gives you the ability to push yourself and see what you're capable of and prove yourself.
    - free snacks and lunches
    - free health insurance
    - flexible WFH policy without criticism
    - unlimited PTO without criticism (do your job well, you can get the PTO you deserve)
    - very down to earth friendly colleagues which is a must for me in any office environment! You don't get those obnoxious salespeople you find in other companies. You'll even get a daily hello from the CEO when you're in the office.
    - Fun office activities and events
    - bring your dog to work

Cons

Like anything, there's always going to be downsides in sales. One of the things I experienced is changing comp plans during the FY. I hope in the next FY we'll have more consistency and stability.

The WFH flexibility is great, but it can be dull in the office sometimes when there's only 10 of you on site.

Also since there's not very many eating options by the office, you're kinda stuck with the same options on the days when there's no free lunch.

Jan 29, 2018 – CEO

Great points and all valid. And work-from-home definitely has pros and cons as you discuss. We are working on more compelling reasons for folks to come in, though we remain committed to always... More

"Great company with huge opportunity to succeed led by inspiring people"

I have been working at Gainsight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Gainsight is the clear market leader in its category that is continuing to grow as "software eats the universe." I can't speak for other departments (I sit in Sales), but authentic leadership from the CEO down is highly inspiring and motivating. Transparency is often highlighted as a company value, but I've yet to see a company be as transparent and take ownership for decisions that haven't worked out as well as planned. Today, for example, our CEO gave a presentation highlighting we were are as a company in comparison to other software companies (according to third party data), and where we could end up if we continue on the path that we're on. Needless to say it was inspiring when you take a step back from your day to day responsibilities to see that we're building something truly special. Great level of autonomy for us to succeed which can't be understated enough. Knowing that our team is full of sharp, fully capable, and sophisticated individuals inspires you to do your best. Everyone is committed to helping each other succeed for the benefit of our company and our customer's success. Plenty of other common pros you'll find at other Bay Area companies like free food, dogs in offices, ability to work from home, etc, but it's the other things (I consider to be intangibles) that make it truly unique to work for Gainsight.

Cons

We have a very spread out company (SF, Redwood City, PHX, STL, London, + remote employees so while our company values and culture is strong, it's sometimes difficult to maintain strong relationships with people you don't interact with all the time. For some people, this might be seen as a strength given the autonomy and ability to work remotely, but for me it's the only real "con" that I can think of. We used to have a matching 401(k) so it would be nice to see this come back, but I realize this is not always feasible for high growth companies determined to spend money wisely.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the transparency (good and bad) that goes on with Gainsight. It's always helpful to explain the "why" behind decisions that are made so we can continue to stay motivated.

"Interesting place to grow & take on new challenges"

I have been working at Gainsight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of very smart people. Flexible working hours, location and PTO policy. Dog friendly.

CEO is inspirational, and is the type of person that will make the deck himself if it's the 11th hour and something needs to get done. This garners a huge amount of respect from individual contributors.

If you display competency and ambition, the sky is the limit. Gainsight will be excited for you to take on all sorts of interesting challenges and projects, from all corners of the business, if you display interest.

Opportunities for lateral job movement between functions. Gainsight is building a strong population of 2+ year employees that are now beginning to change departments. This cross-pollination is having great results.

Great place to build your personal brand. If you want to be on stage talking about something related to Customer Success, or blogging, or writing e-books, etc Gainsight is really excited to give you the soapbox.

Cons

Like any fast growing company, it's not perfect. That's totally fine! I get it. Some challenges and pain points worth noting are:

Geographic distribution has multiplied the friction to get stuff done. Having the company split between US & India creates a particularly tough scenario.

Long leadership vacancy in the Teammate/Employee Success (HR) function left a wound that will take a while to heal. This role has now been filled with someone great; there's just a lot of backlog that needs to be worked through.

Dramatically different management styles between different functions has created a really varied employee perspective of the company.

Some pockets over-invest in strategy and under-deliver in measurable business outcomes. This is quite frustrating when there are deep but solvable issues that aren't prioritized or addressed because the project isn't attractive.

"Fun, energetic, and Positive"

Current Employee - Premier Support Technician in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Premier Support Technician in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Gainsight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The team I am on works together well
    -My team lead is very positive and helpful
    -The office is enjoyable to come to
    -The office culture is superb
    -Informative company wide meetings
    -"Modular" working environment
    -There are more I could list but I would be going on all day

Cons

-With my short time here I cannot say I have any so far, we need more dogs in office? haha

Advice to Management

Keep doing a great job!

Sep 11, 2017 – CEO

Thanks! BTW agree on getting more dogs - they definitely make me happy!

"Gainsight is a truly special place"

I have been working at Gainsight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- startup within a scaleup mentality
    - radical transparency balanced with child like joy
    - feeling that each employee is truly making an impact and helping to write our story
    - agile, innovative and collaborative
    - true belief that our company values drive company initiatives
    - visionary leader the embodies the spirit of Gainsight/customer success
    - being part of something special: knocking right on the door of something big

Cons

- not all departments are created equal
    - have to be able to quickly adapt and roll with the punches, sometimes daily
    - as we grow, so do the politics

Advice to Management

- continue to invest in employee success through manager trainings and enablement
    - as we scale, continue to invest in our culture (offices and remote) by continuing AMAs and other initiatives to unite the various offices/ departments

Sep 11, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for the feedback! I definitely think we need to continue to scale communications and interactions - big priority for me right now. Keep the input coming.

"AMAZING COMPANY AND CULTURE"

I have been working at Gainsight full-time

Pros

Great leadership, fun culture, driven personalities that deiver equal results.

Cons

No 401k matching, promotion/bonus structure seem unclear

Sep 11, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for the feedback! Agreed and with our new Chief People Officer, comp/promotion structure is a top priority.

"No Progression and Management and VPs Can't See Flaws"

I have been working at Gainsight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Unlimited PTO (which very few take)
    -Catered Lunches
    -Relaxed Work From Home Policy

Cons

-Removed 401k Match for better health insurance. I understand the tradeoff, however most of the employees are young and would MUCH prefer a 401k match.
    -Double standards for promotion review process. For example, recently someone was promoted to a VP in a matter of days, however getting promoted as an individual contributor will take months if you're lucky.
    -Pay is way below market which has been proven with data, however nobody will address it.
    -The same ~5 people solve all the issues. The others are just there to never progress and lean on those same people. This leads to fatigue, obviously.
    -No option to progress as an individual contributor because all management looks for are "change agents". The true "change agents" are the ones doing the work day to day, putting in 60+ hours a week quarter over quarter while execs and managers have "strategic thinking and no meeting" blocks on their calendar for hours a week.
    -All execs are in one office. No VPs in one office which leads to no progression, career advancement or face time with execs (except for the once a quarter they may swing by for 1/2 a day)
    -Constant reorgs of the post sales team. No consequences for poor choices made by VPs and above. The poor choices just mean the same core individual contributors have to pick up the slack as always.
    -The constant reorgs mean that you are consistently having to prove yourself to mangers over and over again which leads to no advancement and a "let's talk in a quarter" attitude.
    -Time constraints are not great. We have a distributed employee approach which means calls with India at 6am and midnight. Hope you don't have a personal life or free evenings because you'll be working late most nights.
    -Did I mention the pay is way under market?

Jul 3, 2017 – CEO

First of all, thank you for writing this. While I've done a poor job driving success for you, I can tell you care and want Gainsight to be better.

Second, you are 100% right. While your... More

"Great work environment with lots of opportunities to take ownership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Gainsight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great perks (catered lunches 3x a week)
    - Unlimited PTO
    - Dog friendly environment
    - Flexible work hours (ability to work in SF or RWC office)
    - Personal trainer at our offsite gym (2x a week)
    - Bi-weekly massages (sign-ups)
    - Fun and different 5 core values that all Gainsters live by
    - 100% medical, dental, and vision covered
    - Paid paternity and maternity leave
    - 401K
    - Open work environment/ transparency of company

Cons

Since the company is very flexible with wfh/remote, there is a lack of team bonding events.

Advice to Management

It would be great if HR is able to plan some off site events (e.g. happy hour, bowling, mini golf) to create a better sense of team in the office.