Gallup Consulting Specialist Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Gallup Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Clifton
Jim Clifton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • flexible work schedule and competitve pay (in 32 reviews)

• work life balance, respect from leaders of organization (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Zero work life balance (so much for their book: 'Wellbeing: The Five Essential Elements') (in 15 reviews)

• Employee engagement activities went from being a paid and frequent staple that employees looked forward to, to infrequent and unpaid requirements (in 13 reviews)

"All in all, not a bad place to be"

Current Employee - Consulting Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consulting Specialist in Washington, DC

Pros

Flexibility in scheduling, engaged and supportive coworkers, management respects and encourages honest feedback, fascinating and challenging work with many opportunities to collaborate.

Cons

Not many. Sometimes a little too much leeway in defining one's role, pay is decent, but doesn't really match the premium rates the company charges to clients.

Advice to Management

Execute on your decisions. Transitions are like band-aids, they should be pulled of quickly and definitively. More honesty around financial projections would also be beneficial.

"Don't practice what they preach"

Current Employee - Consultant Specialist
    Current Employee - Consultant Specialist

I have been working at Gallup full-time

Pros

The mission is real (leadership and fellow employees truly do care about making the world a better place)
    Strengths work (really great work and is used quite a bit internally)

Cons

Lack of communication (Feeling a part of the company)
    Development (no true managers and "go to" is too overwhelmed with his own work)
    Overworked and underpaid
    Poor incentive structure
    Favoritism
    No career path guidance
    Poor knowledge management (constantly reinventing the wheel)
    Poor processes

Advice to Management

Follow our own research and create a true manager role, so that you can help grow/develop your people. Hire more people.

"feels used; got accepted for client development and pushed into client services"

Current Employee - Consulting Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consulting Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gallup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible vacation schedule; extensive training from start

Cons

Pay is only based on performance; people are competitive; no bonuses given because it is based on hours and hours are not enough anyway; no raise;

Advice to Management

Need to treat client services consultants better; the focus is only on business development

"Pleasant place, poor deliveries"

Former Employee - Associate Consultant - Client Specialist
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant - Client Specialist

I worked at Gallup (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment and autonomy to work in different projects

Cons

Career opportunities are blurred
    Management is reckless and unprepared
    Very few people compromised with delivering in a timely manner

"great company poor manager"

Former Employee - Consultant Specialist
    Former Employee - Consultant Specialist

I worked at Gallup full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

with flexibility, good team spirit and regional partners

Cons

poor management, always changing structure and losing talented employees

Advice to Management

listen to the client feedback, not just from the manager/go-to. They are the source for your business.

"It's no different than any other company"

Current Employee - Consulting Specialist Advanced Consultant
    Current Employee - Consulting Specialist Advanced Consultant

Pros

flexibility of work schedule and location

Cons

expected minimum number of hour 2300/yr
    no ability to disconnect
    politics - assignment of highest visbility accounts not based on performance
    egos of tenured/highly visible consultants

Advice to Management

I think ig Gallup were really concerned about employee wellbeing, they would not require a minimum of 2300 hours worked a year nor gauge a person's productivity on sheer number of hours logged

Offer real professional development with courses and programs outside of Gallup

Support continuing education with full tuition reimbursement

"It used to be great, now it's just a job"

Current Employee - Consulting Specialist
    Current Employee - Consulting Specialist

Pros

3. At work, I have the opportunity to do what I do best every day - they hire people for the right fit and most days include at least something I completely enjoyed doing

4. In the last seven days, I have received recognition or praise for doing good work - yes, very recognition-oriented culture. You might get an award and not be too sure what you did to deserve it, but everyone clapped and that felt good

8. The mission or purpose of my company makes me feel my job is important - the company has a huge mission to save the world, one respondent at a time

9. My associates or fellow employees are committed to doing quality work - absolutely. I've ever seen a company filled with such incredible talent and drive to serve the client with excellence

10. I have a best friend at work - friendships are encouraged and fostered. The result is that half the company is married or related to the other half

11. In the last six months, someone at work has talked to me about my progress - reviews happen regularly and are positively focused

12. This last year, I have had opportunities at work to learn and grow - there is a lot to learn, you must constantly keep learning or you will be left behind. The opportunities are there but you have to find them yourself.

Cons

1. I know what is expected of me at work - the new pay plan instituted at the start of 2011 was dropped on us quickly and with no sensitivity to our loss of income. There was no discussion or negotiation. Salaries were slashed in favor of an indecipherable bonus system.

2. I have the materials and equipment I need to do my work right - generally yes, but the new government-mandated security is a productivity-buster. I have to enter my password every 10 minutes if I forget to jiggle the mouse constantly. It locks up in the middle of a presentation or webinar. Ironic that we have no building security, and I'm not allowed to lock my office door, but I have to unlock my PC at least 20 times a day. And did I mention the 5-digit passcode they put on my smartphone? Very convenient when you want to snap a quick photo, oops, missed the moment.

5. My supervisor, or someone at work, seems to care about me as a person - the local go-to and coworkers do. The head of the consulting specialist line does not and she demoted off the Exec Committee the one person who truly had our best interest at heart. We give lip service to Wellbeing but no one cares about one's home-work life balance. There is no paid time off, so if you take a vacation, holiday, or sick day, you have to make the time up. It requires 2300 hours per year (1850 to clients) and also a revenue "touched" component. If you complain about the hours, you're told that "other people have no problem doing it"

6. There is someone at work who encourages my development - there is no opportunity for career change or growth, just climb up another level on the pay plan (requiring ever more touched revenue)

7. At work, my opinions seem to count - No one wants your opinion unless it agrees with management. If you don't mouth the company line, you're not "on board." If you complain, you're told you might be happier working elsewhere. Ironic for a company whose motto is helping people be heard.

Advice to Management

Get ride of ICE which is nothing but a popularity contest. If you refuse to do that, then institute some quality controls so that only people who have a bona-fide working relationship with you in the past 6 months can rate. It's passive-aggressive: I have an issue with you but I won't talk to you about it, I'll just wait for ICE and give you all 1's so you don't get your bonus. Put top management on ICE, let us all rate Jim and Jane, then benchmark our bonus to them.

"Not a good place to work, I did not feel valued as an employee."

Former Employee - Consulting Specialist Advanced Consultant
    Former Employee - Consulting Specialist Advanced Consultant

Pros

The Gallup name is synonymous with polling and survey research. The Gallup brand is unbeatable in that sense. Gallup allows you to set your own schedule and you have some freedom in choosing what projects you work on. The people who work there are generally pleasant and nice.

Cons

The Gallup name is synonymous with polling and survey research. Since the company is trying to re-brand itself as an elite management consulting firm having such strong brand awareness is a big problem. Potential customers are often shocked to learn Gallup is a 'consulting' firm. In truth, the actual consulting work is limited, most engagements are Gallup's proprietary survey research products. Given all this there is something of an identity crisis and lack of strategic direction at the firm. I would hesitate to recommend anyone accept a job there until those problems are worked out.

Management is poor to non-existent. Gallup is an every-man-for-himself environment in the worst possible way. The firm doesn't do a good job of supporting its employees professionally. No smart-phones, no professional memberships, very limited outside training. Good luck even getting a copy of a book about some cutting edge management techniques. Projects are not sold very effectively. My billing rate at me new firm is 3x what is was at Gallup for the same work. For my projects alone the firm was leaving lots of money on the table.

The pay is low and benefits are very poor. The hours requirement is high at 2300 minimum per year. The vacation policy is very strict and generally inflexible. Vacation does not increase with tenure. No federal holidays are given, you need to use your own vacation time if you want Christmas or Thanksgiving off. It can be very hard to increase your pay. The old bonus system encouraged people to take on more work and paid them for it. Now, raises are hard to come by and promotions are difficult to get.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees well, they are your biggest asset. The human capital value of the firm is higher than the accounting value. Do a better job of tapping that asset and you will all be rich and not have to give employees the short end of the stick.