Gallup Reviews in Nebraska | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Gallup Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Clifton
Jim Clifton

Pros
Cons
  • Zero work life balance (so much for their book: 'Wellbeing: The Five Essential Elements') (in 14 reviews)

• Employee engagement is just a string of consonants and vowels (in 12 reviews)

"All is not as it seems... don't swallow the talking points constructed by HR"

Current Employee - Pollster in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Pollster in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Gallup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have always felt as though I were a harder worker than most of my peers in almost all other jobs I've worked and this job gave me a lot of concrete evidence to back that up.

Cons

Managers might act like they want to be your friend, but whenever I attempted to talk about anything personal with them, they acted really uptight and fake. I once told my manager about a former Gallup employee who had recently passed away. His actual response was, "WHOAH THERE. That's pretty heavy." As if to say, "Hey! Get that negativity outta here!" Dude, A MAN DIED. Get your head out. In fact, that was the SECOND person at that location to die during the time I worked there. That is an insanely high mortality rate given I've never had a coworker die in the ~12 yrs I've been in the workforce. There is really something to the idea that working at a desk all day is unhealthy. I became insulin resistant while working at Gallup but after working elsewhere for a while, my insulin returned to healthy levels. Gallup tries to come up with b.s. "exercises" to pretend like they're health conscious, but doing 5 pushups a day for your "activity calendar" isn't helping anyone.

Advice to Management

Advice to future pollsters: Gallup managers really push you to connect with your coworkers outside work, but a lot of these people aren't people you really want mixing up in your personal life. If you want to keep work life and personal life separate, by all means do so. It may boost productivity at first, but in the end it's not smart. I had a friend and coworker as a Facebook friend once. I made a general post about how you shouldn't call a woman "miss" these days because it implies marital status, which is completely inappropriate in the workforce today. I don't think any rational person would dispute that. (There's not a married nor unmarried version of "Mr." after all). Keep in mind Gallup culture aggressively touts the idea that employees MUST be referred to by the name WE like to be called. My direct manager caught wind of this post and erroneously thought it was aimed at himself. Instead of doing the professional thing and confronting me about it so that any misconceptions could be laid to rest, he held on to the perceived slight and let it color his view of me. He ended up firing me and I believe that was part of the reason. He lost Gallup's best employee over his silly, fragile ego. How sad for Gallup!

"Nepotism is the name of the game!"

Former Employee - Interviewer in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Interviewer in Omaha, NE

I worked at Gallup part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plan to work here for guaranteed pay only during training. But keep looking good for a hourly paid job. This is not the type of job that will pay your bills. Students makeup 98% of the workforce.

Cons

Not good for money. Some long timers work Saturday or Sunday, or both to make the money they weren't able to earn during the week. Expect that working extra hours hoping to make the money leaves no time for a life.

Advice to Management

They've heard it all, but don't care. It's a numbers game and they know it. I've heard enough from employees that work there that are not happy. One person told me it was a scam.

"STAY AWAY!!"

Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Omaha, NE

I worked at Gallup full-time

Pros

You have the opportunity to make good money with this company if you are hired full time and can do well with getting people to do survey's

Cons

Once you start making good money they may find someone to replace you and pay them a lower rate.

Advice to Management

Stoo finding reasons to fire people when you don't want to pay up anymore.

"Phone interviewer"

Current Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Gallup part-time

Pros

-Make your own hours
    -Managers generally understading
    -Can make good money on a very good day
    -Can do other things while working

Cons

-Paid by commission. You can do amazing one day and make good money but then if you do bad another day it balances out so you generally never make more than base pay
    -Probing: you have to get a specific answer an If you don't you have to probe the respondent and this can make them very angry
    -You get yelled at by respondents multiple times a day
    -you can spend 10 mins on a survey and if they don't make it to a certain point you don't ger credit
    -they say you are guaranteed minimum wage if you don't make the quota. But if you have a few bad weeks you can get fired
    -it's more luck than skill. There is some skill to getting people to do it. But it's generally about who you call
    -after about a month or two of working there, it gets extremely tedious
    -open from 4pm to 11pm on week days so you have to stay late to get a lot of hours
    -open during the day on weekends but it's a lot harder to do well becusse no one wants to do a survey on the weekend
    -they make it sound nice because you can do homework or read while you work, but it nearly impossible to do that while calling people
    -if you aren't a "tracker" you don't have a desk. You have to find a new one everyday
    -people sit at other peoples desks and use their headsets which is very unsanitary
    -you have no actual break time. You can take a break whenever you want but it counts as non dial time and takes away from your percentage for the day
    -most surveys are 10+ minutes. Most people don't want to spend that much time answering questions
    -you aren't even allowed to tell the people the specific topic of the survey which turns people off
    -commission seems nice, but you could work a 3 hour shift and make no money
    -hard to work a long shift without getting extremely bored

Advice to Management

Fix you surveys- wellbeing is way too long. There are multiple questions that are exactly the same. There also needs to be an option for retired on the employment question

"Would not recommend"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Omaha, NE

I worked at Gallup part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only good thing about this place is a flexible schedule

Cons

It is very stressful to annoy people with tons of questions that are worded exactly the same with the exception of two or three words. People get annoyed for repetitive questions.

Advice to Management

Management never took calls of angry people. They just advised to hang up.

"Don't Work Here"

Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Lincoln, NE

Pros

Flexible schedule, no dress code, managers were usually laid back, good parking.

Cons

Paid by production level, people are extremely rude and the work is very boring. Extremely difficult to get your own desk and keep it, overally just a depressing job.

Advice to Management

Adjust the quota level, people that do their absolute best still go home with a bad production level which is unfair to hard working employees.

"Restructuring Needed - Telephone Interviewer"

Current Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Omaha, NE

Pros

Flexible Hours.
    Caring Managers (most).
    Free coffee.
    Good job to use while you find an actual job.

Cons

Stressful and anxiety filled.
    Bad hours (evening shifts, weekends)
    Low Pay (pay by production, no base pay).
    No paid bathroom/meal/or bad call breaks.
    Gimmicky culture, work sheets, and events.
    Benefits are terrible (if you actually need health insurance).
    No paid vacations or sick days.
    No opportunity for advancements.

Advice to Management

This company is in need of some basic pay and order restructuring. They run off a system where they expect 10 to 30 people to quit every two weeks, because they are unhappy, so they have 10 to 30 new people starting every two weeks to compensate.

Half of their employees are lower class or borderline poverty and have a system that has to bottom line base pay can be stressful, anxiety filled, and detrimental to each person's health. Each hour team has what they call a "base pay." $11 for the 20 hour team, $12 for the 30 hour team, and $14 for the 35 hour team. If managers were to spend a day in the booths, they would realize over 50% of them are brink of quitting by the stress of the pay system alone.

However, after the 8 week training is over, this guaranteed base pay goes out the window. You are simply paid by production, in this case by how many surveys you complete. Example, you complete one survey which is set for .54 Production Units (or hours), so you will receive roughly 54% of whatever hour team you are on. if you are on the $11 hour team, you'll get around $5.70.

Because of no base pay and it being strictly paid by production. You can, and will multiple times, come in for a 5 hour shift, and leave making an average of $5.00 an hour. You can sit on the phones for 2 hours straight, dialing over 300 hundred numbers, trying to convince people to do the boring poll with you, getting yelled at, cussed at, lied to, and come out with $0.00 pay because you got unlucky on the phones or because there's a large national event going on.

Even worse, you can get 25 minutes through a 30 minutes survey, and the respondent hangs up on you, and you don't get paid at all.

This kind of logic of actual $0.00 base pay, no paid breaks, no paid breaks for after a bad/harassing call, is ridiculous. I have friends that work at other call centers, all of them get paid breaks and especially after a harassment call.

You will get written up for marking down a "yes," when a respond said "yeah" Or for not probing each question after the respondent gets irritated.

Solution: Introduce a base pay, award tips for each completed survey and 7% paid non dial time. Example; A person working on the 20 hour team working DGP cellphones would make roughly $6.00 base pay and then be awarded $4.00 for each LONG survey complete, and roughly $5.75 for each SPECIAL LONG survey complete. Also, common on, give 7% non dial time for bathroom breaks, bad call breaks, and regular breaks... care about your employees, you are the only call center I know that does not offer paid breaks after being harassed on the phones.

Not only will this give employees incentive to stay when they are getting unlucky on the phones but also will increase the quality of the surveys themselves because the interviewer is not counting merely on the completion of the survey for their next meal, at least they still have some base pay to rely on.

Introducing a system like this would not only calm the stress of your employees, increase overall quality of the surveys, it will also help you with your outrageous turn over rate.

Listen Gallup, listen.

"Caution!"

Former Employee - Web Designer in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Web Designer in Omaha, NE

I worked at Gallup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The individuals that work there are fantastic. The office space along the river is very nice.

Cons

Nepotism runs rampant, being liked as an individual is more important than being good at your job. Individuals are treated as a disposable commodity. Hypocritical and inexact sciences lead to poor and flawed business and leadership decisions.

Advice to Management

Set the ego aside and listen to the smart people you still have. hemorrhaging people isn't gonna stop unless you step up and make right by the talent you still have.

"Being on the phone is fine, management was terrible"

Current Employee - Interviewer in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Interviewer in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Gallup part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Good pay
    -Can have a longer than 30 minute lunch

Cons

-Management is condescending, manipulative, and just overall awful
    -The people you work with are mostly all awful, some good eggs, most people are rotten.
    -While pay is good, it's all commission after two months. If no one answers the phone, you get nothing.
    -While you can have a longer lunch, you are also expected to make up whatever time past 15 minutes up before you leave.
    -If you're sick, you will most likely get fired because they expect you to be there every day and then some and you have to work at least 20 hours no matter what. Vacations, sick days, errands, all unheard of to this company

Advice to Management

The absolute worst company I've ever worked for, hire new management.

"Beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Former Employee - Outbound Interviewer in Bellevue, NE
    Former Employee - Outbound Interviewer in Bellevue, NE

I worked at Gallup part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You pick your own hours

Cons

I quit gallup and they didn't pay me for all my hours, and bumped my wage down to 7.25 an hour

Advice to Management

Pay people what you tell them they are going to make.