Gambit Research Developer Reviews | Glassdoor

Gambit Research Developer Reviews

Updated Sep 7, 2019

Found 6 reviews

4.2
Gambit Research CEO Patrick MacKenzie-Charrington (no image)
Patrick MacKenzie-Charrington

"Fantastic place to work"

Current Intern - Software Developer in Hammersmith, England

I have been working at Gambit Research for less than a year

Pros

As an intern, I was given the opportunity to work here as a first year. That alone is a green flag, most other employers simply wipe your CV out through filtering programs. Shows they do truly value the individual, and the skills you provide. The interview process was somewhat difficult, especially the Codility, but the on site interviews were pleasant and staff are very acommodating. Actually working at the... company is amazing, flexible hours, good pay, and interesting, thought provoking work. Starting off is difficult, there's a lot of terminology that hits you in the face, but once you absorb it, working is actually fun, knowing the goals you are working towards. Starting off as an intern, the beginning was quite shaky as the tech lead was the only person who had experience in the sector of the project I was working in. However, constantly harrassing my mentors helped me get up to speed, and they did their best to help me along the way, I'd honestly get annoyed if I were in their position from the amount of questions I asked. The atmosphere is great, everybody seems willing to help, if you're willing to learn, and you genuinely feel valued as a team member. It also helps that everybody who works there is extremely intelligent. I felt like I learnt an astronomical amount during my internship. Exposed to loads of technologies I had previously avoided, and are quite fond of now. Also, chef comes in twice a week and there's plenty of snacks and things to nibble on!

Cons

I guess if I'm really pushed for something, the initial orientation, first 3 days-ish could have been more rigorous...there was a lot of 'discovering things along the way' which probably should have been explained, but then again there is a boat load of things to go through so I can't exactly blame them.

Gambit Research2019-09-08

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Developer in London, England

I have been working at Gambit Research full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Very smart colleagues and great company culture. - Lots of interesting projects. - Freedom to pick what to work on. - Many social events. - Healthy work-life balance.

Cons

- No working from home (other than exceptional cases). - Good engineering practices adopted somewhat recently. Some of the code base can be difficult to work with.

Gambit Research2018-06-10

"A great company to work for"

Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Gambit Research full-time

Pros

- Interesting work - Smart colleagues from a range of countries and cultures - Completely flexible working hours - Learning and skill development very much encouraged - Great benefits - Bonuses - Frequent away days / company activities - Great work/life balance

Cons

- Sports betting isn't for everyone

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Gambit Research2018-05-21

"Good company but they could be doing more"

Current Employee - Developer

I have been working at Gambit Research full-time for less than a year

Pros

Interesting work, loads of opportunity for learning new skills

Cons

There are lots of basic things like working from home, flexi-time, etc. which have been asked for by employees but haven't been considered. Lots of similar sized companies in the tech./gambit industry offer better packages/perks. The pay structure, bonus system and career development is completely opaque.

Advice to Management

Listen to employee requests and be more open about pay

Gambit Research2017-09-09

"Great fun but bad engineering"

Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Gambit Research full-time

Pros

Generous bonus Very flexible working hours Good company outings and events Freedom and autonomy in your work

Cons

Lack of engineering rigour (CI/Tests) Large messy codebase without test coverage Hacking around on production systems is the usual workflow Many employees are not open to suggestions for improvement

Advice to Management

Need more experienced technical leadership.

Gambit Research2016-12-09
  6. "Developer at Gambit"

Current Employee - Developer

I have been working at Gambit Research full-time for more than a year

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere with good working conditions and truly flexible hours. Interesting problems to work on, with the ability to move between projects and find something that suits your personal interests. Intelligent people to discuss possible solutions with.

Cons

The annual leave at gambit is competitive, but not the best available. Similar sized tech companies will often offer a slightly better holiday package. Not all of the code is well laid out or documented which, combined with a lack of consistency between projects, can make working on parts of the code base painfully difficult if you are unfamiliar with it.

Gambit Research2015-10-18