I worked at Gambling Commission as a contractor (More than a year)
- leadership open to new ideas and feedback
- diverse and inclusive; good support for everyone
- really good (and young!) female role models at Exec level
- commitment to people and organisational development
- really, really, really interesting work
- great people and culture
- city centre location 2 mins from New St station (if based in office; not everyone is).
- some negative and cynical voices who put forward lots of problems but see solutions as somebody else's job
- Chairman not amiable and some of Board a bit stuffy and nitpicking, including in areas which aren't for the NEDs to manage. Some behaviours of Board members have been unacceptable.
- too much squabbling and possessiveness over resources instead of getting on with job and working collaboratively
- some programme directors lack humour and are prone to fiddling while Rome burns.
Advice to Management
Sort out programme directors! Empower senior managers and managers more.
I worked at Gambling Commission full-time (More than 3 years)
Great People, Great Location, Nice Office
Senior management at the time I was there were not supportive
Positive experience, plenty of autonomy and management are open to recommendations.
Limited opportunities for progression in current team.
I have been working at Gambling Commission full-time (More than a year)
The work is really worthwhile, making a difference to people's lives. There are only about 300 employees and most are based on a single floor of one building - which makes for a good 'family' atmosphere. Great centre location (2mins from New Street Station).
The organisation is subject to public sector pay rules and it is quite a flat structure, so opportunities for pay increases or promotion can be limited.
Advice to Management
Work out a way to reward (ideally with more pay and promotion) current employees better.
This will replace the current featured review for targeted profile. Are you sure you want to replace it?
Are you sure you want to remove this review from being featured for targeted profile?