GameStop Reviews in Atlanta, GA | Glassdoor

GameStop CEO J. Paul Raines
J. Paul Raines

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "It's okay but corporate can be very unreasonable at times."

Current Employee - Assistant Store Leader in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Leader in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at GameStop full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Health, vision, and dental insurance, and high upward mobility. When ASL and above you can get perks like free games every now and then.

Cons

Corporate makes too many demands for what needs to be done but doesn't generally give a fair amount of hours to the store so everything can be accomplished well.

Advice to Management

Keep in mind our other tasks and hour availability coupled with the need to make sales.

"My Experience So Far"

Current Employee - Senior Guest Advisor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Guest Advisor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at GameStop part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you like video games then there is a lot to like about this job. You get to talk about games you like and hear a lot of things from a lot of different people about all types of games. You learn a lot just by working and overhearing people talk about games they enjoyed or hated. Being able to try out games for a few days at a time also helps to get an idea of what the games about to be able to promote it better.

Cons

The pay is honestly pretty bad. Even getting to a keyholder position (Senior Guest Advisor is the lowest) is not worth the pay at all. At the SGA position you are pretty much required to do the same exact job as an Assistant Store Leader but with no guaranteed hours, way less pay, no benefits, and no paid time off/vacation. The SGA position is the worst position to be in in the company but is a necessary position to reach if you want to work your way up.

"Fun job, TERRIBLE compensation"

Former Employee - Game Advisor in Cumming, GA
    Former Employee - Game Advisor in Cumming, GA

I worked at GameStop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you love video games and don't have trouble talking to people and being friendly, you'll love working here.

Cons

The pay is minimum wage with NO commission or bonuses. You could be the top salesperson and be bringing in hundreds of thousands of dollars for the company but it will not effect your compensation in any way.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees based on their performance.

4. "I am extremely under paid for the work I put in. Otherwise, its the best job."

Current Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Stone Mountain, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Stone Mountain, GA

I have been working at GameStop part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gamestop has a work environment and friendly customers. As long as you keep your priorities straight and follow guidelines, it's lovely.

Cons

Low hours. Bad wages. Higher ups expect employees to move mountains for peanuts. I can and will move mountains, but not for peanuts!

Advice to Management

Pay us more money, and we'd make more money for you with less mistakes etc. Circle of life.

5. "A fun environment with the right staff."

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at GameStop full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Discounts and free rentals of games. Very good incentives during contest and conference weeks. Learning and talking about games and electronics that you love. And a great program known as the Gamerfund

Cons

Not enough hours and the pay rate is horrible. As much money the company makes it doesn't pay you enough to make a living

6. "Gamestop"

Current Employee - Game Advisor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Game Advisor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at GameStop part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of friendly coworkers with similar interests, being able to borrow games for a few days, discount on merchandise, flexible schedules

Cons

Not a lot of hours for anyone who isn't a key holder, customers aren't the brightest or nicest, turnover is high

7. "GS review."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at GameStop full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

On the whole, people are into gaming and are knowledgeable. Staffs are usually quite helpful.

Cons

Upper level management is sometimes overly responsive. Changes have occurred to make it less chaotic, bu it is the nature of retail.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. These are difficult times we live in, you must make sure you stay a destination store and don't alienate your base.

8. "Live to work"

Former Employee - Georgia in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Georgia in Atlanta, GA

I worked at GameStop full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

working for Gamstop pushes your limits. you will learn more than you ever though possible and strech your limits beyond what you ever thought you could.

Cons

be prepared to work very long hours for very little reward.

Advice to Management

remember to promote a healthy balance of work and play.

"Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at GameStop (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits were good, even as an assistant manager the hours were flexible, great people to work with and the regulars make your whole day. Overall it's not a bad place to work and it's relatively easy to move up as long as you perform well.

Cons

Can be stressful. Alot of the time it felt like nothing was ever good enough. Even if you're a top earning store with excellent margin you'll still get pounded over subscriptions and reserves or some other area that you're not excelling.

10. "Working at GameStop (Part-Time)"

Former Employee - Game Advisor in Conyers, GA
    Former Employee - Game Advisor in Conyers, GA

I worked at GameStop (More than a year)

Pros

This is a great job for anyone who enjoys talking about video games all day with customers and coworkers. You will get the latest news on upcoming releases from managers as well.

Cons

On the other hand, the prospect for growth and advancement was not encouraged at the location I worked. Moreover, GameStop's business model is great for the company, but not so much for the customers.

Advice to Management

Encourage team members to work together, especially during business moments. Properly train employees on the policies and procedures, so they can effectively meet the need of the customers without jeopardizing their job.

Showing 18 of 3,288 reviews