GameStop Reviews in Los Angeles, CA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
GameStop CEO J. Paul Raines
J. Paul Raines

Cons

1. "While I appreciated the discount, working for Gamestop was stressful, unpleasant and I dreaded calling in for shifts."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Westlake Village, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Westlake Village, CA

I worked at GameStop part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get a nice discount for working here.
    Friendly staff.
    Wide selection of merchandise.
    Hours were very nice since they were open late.

Cons

Managers can be power hungry.
    Way to lenient on filing of important documentation.
    Managers expect you to know every single thing about every video game ever created.

Advice to Management

Have a game plan ready for every single day.

2. "gamestop doesn't care anyone less than a district manager"

Current Employee - Guest Advisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Guest Advisor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at GameStop (Less than a year)

Pros

+Cool guests
    +15% off new or preowned
    +Rent games

Cons

-Corporate
    -rude guests
    -atmospehre
    -some times smells depending on co worker
    -weird stigma towards the store

Advice to Management

listen to workers

"Not Worth It"

Former Employee - Seasonal Game Advisor in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Game Advisor in Glendale, CA

Pros

I can't think of any.

Cons

There is no training and extremely minimal hours, and there is no consistency with scheduling The store I worked in was extremely unorganized, unsafe, and crowded. The shelving units and system of stocking causes games to pour onto the floor while people browse through them.

Advice to Management

Give your employees more hours. Make your stores safer, cleaner, and organized.

5. "thinks their sh!t dont stink"

Former Employee - Game Advisor in Eagle Rock, CA
    Former Employee - Game Advisor in Eagle Rock, CA

I worked at GameStop part-time (More than a year)

Pros

there isnt many if any at all. bestbuy offers a sign up that allows you to get i believe 15% off games for a price, thats my employee discount. amazon offers 20% for prime members. the pros are my coworks so that varies by location and is personal opinion at each place. if anything pro is interaction with customers for the most part.

Cons

management is complete bs if you wanna even call it management. they dont care for anyone but their fellow co managers. assistant manager at my store doesnt even know how stuff works and always asks for help. manager never works always on his phone and sitting never helping customers but told all the employees he better not see us doing what he is always doing. the district seems sketchy like the company. so ultimately if possible avoid gamestop. My manager didnt want to promote me because he didnt want me to transfer his exact words.

Advice to Management

rebuild the whole management

6. "Maybe for a first job ?"

Former Employee - Lead Game Advisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Game Advisor in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Work around video games. Get to play games before they are released to the public and decent swag. Be the first to know when pre orders are available and snag them for yourself.

Cons

The company is not at all interested in your well being.

Advice to Management

If you're making a fair wage you may be on your way out and not know it yet.

7. "Don't work here"

Former Employee - Game Advisor in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Game Advisor in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

I worked at GameStop (Less than a year)

Pros

None, None ,None, None, None

Cons

Poor training, poor management, no employee break rooms

Advice to Management

Spend more time properly training new hires.

8. "Terrible retail experience"

Former Employee - SGA in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - SGA in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at GameStop full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the employees are cool, fun people to work with. It is nice to be in the know as far as gaming is concerned.

Cons

The cons are pretty extensive so I'll keep it short. The workload is pretty unrealistic for the customer care that you are supposed to give. Single coverage for the better part of an 8 hour shift all while doing their shipping and receiving, back end work and marketing can be frustratingly impossible. The skills necessary for doing well at the job isn't reflected in pay and there are no benefits until you are an ASM or store manager, no matter how many hours you work. As an SGA or above you can forget about another job or school because they want full availability. Sales goals with no real incentive and the numbers "game" they play are ridiculous. The micro management is pretty horrible too. Believe me when I tell you that this is the short list, because I could write a book.

Advice to Management

Give your stores some hours so that there is NEVER single coverage. Let your employees know that they are appreciated. It is disheartening to work so hard to only hear of the little things they missed and rarely hear of a job well done, especially when it is deserved. The lack of recognition for the 30+ hr. employees as part time with no benefits is despicable. Listen to the people in the stores. They know their store and their customers, don't be so quick to blow them and their suggestions off.

9. "Not worth applying to unless you don't actually need a job"

Former Employee - Game Advisor in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Game Advisor in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at GameStop part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with fellow gamers/ nerds
    Helping people find the perfect game whether it be a gift for someone else or themselves
    Easily making friends with fellow employees

Cons

I wasn't allowed a break or lunch. You are allowed to walk to the storage room to eat real quick and head back to the floor. GameStop has been sued multiple times for not allowing their employees proper breaks and lunches.

You may get one four hour shift during peak season because GameStop always over hires.

Advice to Management

Warn people who come in searching for a living wage to apply somewhere else. Let them know that this job is more of a side job rather than an actual employment opportunity from the start rather than having them waste their time while bills go unpaid in false hope.

10. "Not as great as one would think"

Former Employee - SGA in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - SGA in Torrance, CA

I worked at GameStop part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good for game knowledge, great cow-workers, and organized business model.

Cons

Pay was crappy considering I worked for 2 years and only got a 50 cent raise even though I made it to SGA while have a bachelor's degree. THEY DO NOT CARE IF YOU HAVE A COLLEGE DEGREE EITHER. I was a hard worked SGA that was given 38 hours a week (just under full-time so I was unable to receive benefits). Also they are breaking of California labor laws, which is a huge issue that many ignore. As an opener you are alone in the store and can not leave the store to take your 10 minute break which the law states we are suppose to get. Also, we could get in trouble for closing the store for a few minutes to use the restroom because no other person was in the store at the same time. It's a huge class action lawsuit waiting to happen. I was never able to take my ten minute breaks as a manager because I wasn't allowed to leave the store to anyone that wasn't a keyholder. Personal life was also an issue because as a keyholder you have to work at the mercy of the stores needs.

Advice to Management

Please consider paying employees much better than they make now. Be considerate of college degree employees. More pay and smarter planning will make your employees much happier and thus, more productive.

11. "Terrible place to work at."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Orange, CA

I have been working at GameStop full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Only works around school schedule.

Cons

Doesn't promote from within. To many affirmative action policies to advance a career in my district.

Advice to Management

Promote equally.

Showing 12 of 3,078 reviews