GameStop Reviews in Los Angeles, CA | Glassdoor

GameStop CEO J. Paul Raines
J. Paul Raines

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Winter Seasonal Work at GameStop"

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Tarzana, CA
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Tarzana, CA

I worked at GameStop part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers were friendly and created a great working environment, manager tried to give me as many hours as possible, Co-workers were patient with training a new hire.

Cons

There aren't many other women that work for GameStop stores. There usually ends up being one women per store and that women becomes the "token" woman.

2. "While I appreciated the discount, working for Gamestop was stressful, unpleasant and I dreaded calling in for shifts."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Westlake Village, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Westlake Village, CA

I worked at GameStop part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get a nice discount for working here.
    Friendly staff.
    Wide selection of merchandise.
    Hours were very nice since they were open late.

Cons

Managers can be power hungry.
    Way to lenient on filing of important documentation.
    Managers expect you to know every single thing about every video game ever created.

Advice to Management

Have a game plan ready for every single day.

3. "gamestop doesn't care anyone less than a district manager"

Current Employee - Guest Advisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Guest Advisor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at GameStop (Less than a year)

Pros

+Cool guests
    +15% off new or preowned
    +Rent games

Cons

-Corporate
    -rude guests
    -atmospehre
    -some times smells depending on co worker
    -weird stigma towards the store

Advice to Management

listen to workers

4. "It was okay"

Former Employee - Cashier in El Toro, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in El Toro, CA

I worked at GameStop (Less than a year)

Pros

I liked being in a gaming environment. Being able to"rent" games for free was nice. The job was easy, maybe too easy. Flexible hours.

Cons

It was a retail position. The manager was really vulgar. All my co-workers did lots of drugs. Pay wasn't anything special.

Advice to Management

Remember that some of your employees might not care for crude sexual jokes, or speaking about women as objects.

"Not Worth It"

Former Employee - Seasonal Game Advisor in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Game Advisor in Glendale, CA

Pros

I can't think of any.

Cons

There is no training and extremely minimal hours, and there is no consistency with scheduling The store I worked in was extremely unorganized, unsafe, and crowded. The shelving units and system of stocking causes games to pour onto the floor while people browse through them.

Advice to Management

Give your employees more hours. Make your stores safer, cleaner, and organized.

6. "GameStop review from former key-holder (3 years)"

Former Employee - SGA in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - SGA in Long Beach, CA

I worked at GameStop part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

GameStop is an excellent job... at least in the beginning. I would recommend being a GA to anyone looking for a good start in the gaming world. It's a good way to learn salesmanship and customer service. Plus, it's great to be paid to talk about video games. And you're guaranteed to have something in common with every guest that walks through the door.

Cons

With that said, it takes /a lot/ to move up, the pay isn't great, and upper management (District Leaders and above) doesn't care about individual employees.

7. "Bad time all around"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ventura, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ventura, CA

I worked at GameStop part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free posters, shirts, and swag. Some good customers and employees

Cons

Will fire for no reason, will pick favorites over experience and good numbers, management is awful, hours are awful and not guaranteed

8. "This company was never that good to begin with but now it's going down fast"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at GameStop (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling
    Free digital Games and other swag from the developer for upper management (occasionally)
    Getting to talk to people about video games and being surrounded by what you love
    It's an ok first job to cut your teeth in

Cons

Overly aggressive selling culture
    Unrealistic goals from corporate for under paid associates and management
    Low hours
    Payroll is often stretched thin making you have to be alone for hours on end
    Having to sell cricket wireless and double as a GameStop employee and cricket wireless employee without commission and depending on the district you can get fired or written up if you don't meet said cricket goal monthly this goes the same for their reservations and power up pro memberships
    Employee discount doesn't work for new hardware and leaves a lot to be desired TBH.
    LACK of opportunity and growth. Stores are closing down left and right, seasoned store managers are being split and overworked to take care of 2 stores at a time for little compensation meanwhile they're being dangled promotions for spots that don't exist.
    If you don't sell well they will find a way to fire you meanwhile they're desperately grasping at straws trying to find people to work for them and hiring bad employees and mediocre managers to fill spots. they can't keep people in place because expectations are so high and pay is so little and they're quitting. This company was on Forbes worst companies to work for for a reason. Don't let the video games fool you, this is a business after all they have to make money and they're losing more and more every year.

Advice to Management

You can't fire someone just for not having numerical results when they're trying and putting in the effort. That's not legal. It's not their fault that games are going digital and you don't want to update your loyalty programs.

9. "New to Retail"

Former Employee - Game Advisor in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Game Advisor in Long Beach, CA

I worked at GameStop part-time

Pros

Good team environment at the store level. Store manager really took time to get to know you and help you do better and learn more skills.

Cons

Higher level management got in the way of getting things done in store and focusing on the customer. Store was forced to carry excess of inventory that customers didn't want to buy. Over the phone sales pitch was always too long.

10. "thinks their sh!t dont stink"

Former Employee - Game Advisor in Eagle Rock, CA
    Former Employee - Game Advisor in Eagle Rock, CA

I worked at GameStop part-time (More than a year)

Pros

there isnt many if any at all. bestbuy offers a sign up that allows you to get i believe 15% off games for a price, thats my employee discount. amazon offers 20% for prime members. the pros are my coworks so that varies by location and is personal opinion at each place. if anything pro is interaction with customers for the most part.

Cons

management is complete bs if you wanna even call it management. they dont care for anyone but their fellow co managers. assistant manager at my store doesnt even know how stuff works and always asks for help. manager never works always on his phone and sitting never helping customers but told all the employees he better not see us doing what he is always doing. the district seems sketchy like the company. so ultimately if possible avoid gamestop. My manager didnt want to promote me because he didnt want me to transfer his exact words.

Advice to Management

rebuild the whole management

Showing 64 of 3,281 reviews