Gameloft Reviews | Glassdoor

Gameloft Reviews

Updated Oct 18, 2019

3.2
Gameloft CEO Stephane Roussel (no image)
Stephane Roussel
Pros
Cons
  • "Hard to develope my skills, low salary(in 61 reviews)

• "Top management from HQ is quite demanding and sometimes disturbs our work(in 29 reviews)

"Fantastic place with good people, gracious bosses, and improving every day"

I have been working at Gameloft full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love working at Gameloft. This is a company where I feel like I'm actually working with professionals who - in addition to making quality products - respect their employees, respect their time, and want to see their employees grow professionally. I have seen folks become promoted and move on up, and people are generally paid fairly. The new Executive Committee is really making some good changes and it's... benefiting everyone. They actually listen to their hired professionals and make decisions based on their team's expertise. It's great. I feel empowered as a professional and feel like I'm making an impact on the company. Also, as a f2p publisher, pay attention to Gameloft, for they are really trying to reinvent the monetization model that sours a lot of consumers. It still has a way to go, but I'm proud to be at a company that aims to better respect their consumers and employees alike. Maybe it's a French thing, but compared to work culture in other markets it's a breath of fresh air and not stifling at all. I like it here very much.

Cons

Growth does seem to be mostly focused in Europe, and in Paris particularly. Salary could always be higher, but they are better than many others in this gaming vertical. Sometimes decisions are made in HQ that doesn't match other market's needs, but this really hasn't been a huge issue.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! You have made some really proactive changes in the last year and I believe for the best. Keep it up, and never get complacent. If something needs to change, challenge your professionals to attempt a change to move the needle before making cuts.

Gameloft2019-04-01

"Should be a top developer but Waisting their talents"

Former Employee - Studio Manager in Secret Town, CA

I worked at Gameloft full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Been in the mobile space for a long time. Has a tremendous amount of great looking game. Great game makers who understand game mechanics.

Cons

Terrible org and centralized /directive management. The talent is all in the game studios not in the HQ. Lack of understanding of the free to play model.

Advice to Management

Keep the talent and let them create.

Gameloft2019-03-09

"tester"

I have been working at Gameloft full-time

Pros

good environment to work at

Cons

bad management to deal with

Gameloft2018-09-12
  4. "Game Engineer"

I worked at Gameloft full-time

Pros

Good Culture, Friendly with many event

Cons

Low salary and no other

Gameloft2018-08-16
  5. "Fun but had issues"

I worked at Gameloft full-time

Pros

Fun projects to work on. Good people to hang out with.

Cons

Stressful parent company who I felt refused to listen to our issues.

Gameloft2018-08-02
  6. "no so great"

I worked at Gameloft for more than a year

Pros

great place to network and meet great coworker

Cons

Management lacks input and adds stress to your workload.

Gameloft2018-06-12

"Product Manager"

I worked at Gameloft full-time

Pros

- Start up mentality with resources of a large company - Tons of responsibility and ownership to lead marketing strategies, branding, etc. - Top tier licenses to work with - Highly collaborative with production, art, etc. teams

Cons

- While there is more flexibility in marketing teams, the production teams are at the whims of the VP's approvals

Gameloft2018-02-28

"Good people, bureaucratic management from headquarters"

Current Employee - Vfx in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Gameloft full-time for more than a year

Pros

Talented, hard working developers 6 month and yearly reviews help with career path

Cons

Dated technology/tools Slow moving, bureaucratic micro-management

Advice to Management

Things are changing with Vivendi ownership, but still too slowly for how fast mobile games market moves. Update you technology and tools.

Gameloft2018-03-07
  9. "Back to the Future"

I worked at Gameloft full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Get to travel back in time and work with historic tools and tech

Cons

Poor portfolio of games completely lacking any foresight, research or common sense. (I wasted years of my life at Gameloft too embarassed to add any of their games to my resume.) Gameloft is easily 5 years behind the mobile gaming industry. - Outdated technology and tools lacking any foresight - Excessive micromanagement from HQ lacking any common sense - Salaries and benefits are way below industry standards

Advice to Management

Learn to keep your player’s first. Choose the right games for the right audiences. Stop trying to exploit 5 year olds with free to play mechanics. Stop trying to target core console gamers with midcore mechanics. Stop trying to clone everything without a basic understanding of why it worked in the first place.

Gameloft2018-03-25

"Sinking Ship"

Former Employee - Game Designer in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Gameloft full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

None anymore studio closed, but the only reason to work there before was some industry experience and because the team was amazing. Work life balance was actually pretty good at the studio but most of the offices weren't that way/

Cons

HQ constantly directing each studio and forcing bad game decisions down to the dev teams. HQ refused to staff up the team despite the needs for projects and to let the studio grow to become successful. Pay is pretty low by comparison to the industry but HQ constantly denied that fact. HQ would put hiring freezes or pay freezes in place whenever they felt like it often delaying promotions or pay raises for... employees that really deserved it. Nothing is setup to help you succeed, just get in and get out because they are closing more studios.

Advice to Management

Stop getting in the way of your amazing teams and let them do what they know how to do. You actually don't know anything about designing games

Gameloft2018-03-01