Games Workshop Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kevin Rountree

Pros
  • Decent pay, great co-workers, low stress (in 4 reviews)

• Great Benefits, high quality product, some really good people to work with (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor upper management, illogical business decisions (in 8 reviews)

• Always changing and restructuring with no real long term job security (in 4 reviews)

1. "Best job ever"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Covington, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Covington, TN

I have been working at Games Workshop (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment and some of the best people I have ever met.

Cons

Pay rates could be more competitive.

"Mixed Bag - really depends on what you want to do."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marysville, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marysville, WA

I have been working at Games Workshop (More than a year)

Pros

Games Workshop Retail is full of great people, great benefits, enjoyed my time there. It was a challenge every day, I learned a lot about myself and what I am capable of.

If you are thinking about retail and running a hobby center I would recommend that. The retail side of the business in the US is headed in the right direction. Being a Hobby Center Operator is amazing, you have a lot of ability to impact your workplace and control your environment. If you have the drive and the ability to sell you can succeed in that position.

The Hobby Center Operator position is not a stepping stone. There is no room for advancement because there is not a lot of management positions above you. This is a job you can come to and see your hard work pay off through performance-based pay.

Again Highly recommend it.

Kevin Round Tree has the company moving in the right direction. It's exciting to see.

Cons

In the trade department, you will watch a lot of good people get walked out the door. Beware of the management team they have in the US. They have their special children and if you cross one of them you will be let go or treated poorly. The New accounts team has expanded to over 3 times its size, which in turn is cutting down everyone's territory. It becomes harder to meet your goals. The are expanding also to cover their losses as people are not able to perform. If you join the new account team expects it to be a short stay.

Trade is a very controlled department that has been failing for the last two years. It will need a management change to the correct course.

Advice to Management

US Trade has had some entrenched management for a long time. It might be time to shake things up.

"Trade Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elkridge, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elkridge, MD

I worked at Games Workshop full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Its a fun environment and they finally started paying better for your worth. Its run like a boys club or frat.

Cons

When they are done with you, your gone. They are like Vampires. You give your best until they bleed you dry.

Advice to Management

Stop the nepotisim

"Always changing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I worked at Games Workshop (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits, high quality product, some really good people to work with. Decent pay for the expectation of results. Always looking for ways to improve profitability.

Cons

Always changing and restructuring with no real long term job security. Pay is frozen and has been for many years. Even when certain sales businesses are successful they do not get any recognition at the direct sales contact level (compensation). Very dysfunctional leadership at the North America headquarters as no one person is in charge which causes teams to be broken (not one team- multiple teams with UK overseers visiting every three months). No marketing help at the local store level to help drive in traffic. Declining customer counts for years with no solid plan to correct it. Weird price structure for products that confuse customers. Games Workshop fancies itself as a manufacturer and not a retailer- They need to get up with the times on being a retailer because great products are nothing without a growing customer base.Always looking for ways to improve profitability- usually entails how to cut expenses .

Advice to Management

Get with the times on how to attract and recruit new customers. Technology and social media are helpful tools to grow and maintain your business. Listen to your employees- they all have a lot more experience and ideas than you give them credit for that could actually drive sales and improve profitability.

"Horrible company"

Current Employee - Trade Account Manager in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Trade Account Manager in Memphis, TN

Pros

Cheap stuff, great product discount
    I get to work with product that I love
    Some of my coworkers are excellent people

Cons

People get fired all of the time, but not the ones that should be. You can't say anything to management about employees that they like personally, or else they use it against you and say you're not a "team player". I recently wrote a long email to HR about someone I had concerns about because she drank on the job and came to work high a lot, and she still works there. HR claimed she would look into it, but did not. I offered to give her pictures and proof she drank at work, and she didn't reply. Now, my coworker has deleted me off of all of her social media pages and must know that it was me that contacted HR, even though HR promised me I'd stay anonymous. Pathetic work ethic. I am currently searching for another job to get out of this place.

Advice to Management

Maybe for once, do some management. Stop firing people who are passionate about what they do just because you don't personally like them, and fire the ones that would rather get high and drunk at work. And maybe start doing some drug testing.

7. "Great People and Treated Fairly"

Former Employee - Sales and Marketing in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Sales and Marketing in Memphis, TN

I worked at Games Workshop full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people at GW are fantastic. Everyone has a company first attitude and will not hesitate if asked for help. I worked under three different managers and have learned from each one of them. The pay is very fair and it will be hard to find a company that can beat their benefits package. The application process is very different from other companies but they are more focused on the attitudes of people rather than skill sets alone. I was able to apply for a job I had never done before and got it.

Cons

The corporate structure is very flat. Very little corporate ladder to climb. In North America, other than the store managers you will be required to work and live in Memphis, TN. Like many publicly owned companies restructuring can be scary. I lost my job when my division was removed.

"Not for everybody."

Former Employee - Store Operator in Union City, CA
    Former Employee - Store Operator in Union City, CA

I worked at Games Workshop full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Games Workshop offered excellent benefits including the best employee discount I have ever heard of. The products and customers were a joy to be around every day. The incentive pay was excellent, and the base salary was OK for retail. They pay the same from region to region, so it's better if you are in a low-cost-of-living area. This is a wonderful job as long as your store is making more money than it made last year.

Cons

If your store is not increasing its sales, you will lose your job in about six months--it doesn't matter if you're profitable, or if you had a huge growth trend previously. You always have to top yourself or be replaced. I saw massive turnover, and company culture demands that you pretend it doesn't affect your morale.

Advice to Management

Treat your customers well, and they will treat the shareholders well. When you implement a policy, think about the "leaky bathtub" metaphor that your trainers use, and try not to cause those leaks. You know that you're a niche business. Find a way to reconcile the need for new hobbyists with the fact that the Hobby is not for everyone and there is a very limited pool of people who will ever be interested in what you sell. Treat those people like gold, not a gold mine.

9. "Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Games Workshop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

High level of autonomy, large employee discount, good bonuses based on sales growth.

Cons

Direct accountability for store performance, solely responsible for day-to-day operations, little-to-no room for advancement.

10. "As others have said, dream job turned quickly to nightmare"

Former Employee - Salesperson in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Salesperson in Memphis, TN

I worked at Games Workshop full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Significant amounts of free product, 50% employee discount, nice salary for the position

Cons

Management does not give a single damn about what you think about anything. They want good little robots that will do things their way, no questions asked or suggestions made. Training on company systems is substandard to non-existent, yet you are held accountable for ability to use them to the fullest. Incredibly stressful! Management constantly looking over your shoulder.

Advice to Management

Resign, the whole lot of you. You are clueless in many important areas, you treat both customers and employees terribly, and you are slowly driving the company into the ground.

"Fast Paced and constantly changing"

Current Employee - Corporate Trainer in Olive Branch, MS
    Current Employee - Corporate Trainer in Olive Branch, MS

I have been working at Games Workshop (More than 5 years)

Pros

Minimal corporate structure allowed for direct paths of communication.

Cons

Constant shifting and reorganization means your job is never secure regardless of performance or fit.