Gamma Technologies Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.6
Thomas Morel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great product, great atmosphere and good experience"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Westmont, IL

I have been working at Gamma Technologies Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Gamma Technologies is a great company to develop both engineering skills and soft skills (communication, teamwork).
    People can get to be involved in many different things such as the development of the tool (GT-SUITE), customer interaction, and also marketing and business roles - which makes the job really enjoyable.
    The company is very flat, and upper management is usually very flexible with the employee's preferences.
    It is a great company to develop engineering experience having a more than average salary.

Cons

The office is in the suburbs.

Advice to Management

They already know what they are doing.

2. "Senior Engineer"

I worked at Gamma Technologies Inc. full-time

Pros

Pretty good amount of freedom to work on what you're interested in. Opportunities for mechanical engineers to branch out and work on some of the software aspects, if interested. Very low turnover.

Cons

Flat structure does not necessarily offer a lot of room for growth, especially as many of the engineers are fairly young (certainly not near retirement).

"Work with Formula 1 teams to the big three to the aviation industry"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Westmont, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Westmont, IL

I worked at Gamma Technologies Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Gamma Technologies is a great place for entrepreneurial minded people that are passionate about building tools to help the transportation industry make more efficient and effective products. If you have an idea for a product or feature, you can develop the business case, present it to management/peers, and if they agree with the assumptions then it will be pursued.

During my three years at GT I got to work on a wide range of projects ranging from small ATV engines, to Formula 1 fuel systems, to the massive engines in cargo ships. I learned a lot and had the opportunity to take ownership for my work as well as propose, develop, and deliver features that I saw customers needed. Whenever I needed help along the way, someone was always there to talk through ideas or provide advice. Sometimes this guidance came from my manager, other times it was peers with advanced degrees and many years of experience or even the founders of the company. All of this made for a wonderfully stimulating environment that left me excited to come to work everyday.

In addition to the work, the people at GT are great. While most of them are engineers, they do have a wide range of backgrounds within engineering and hail from all over the globe. I can't recall a lunch shared with coworkers that didn't involve some sort of interesting conversation.

Cons

GT is a leader and pioneer in its industry. One downside of this is that many of its customers do not want the product to change at all. As a result, there is a tension between keeping existing customers happy and expanding the product's feature base to meet the needs of new customers, that client facing roles must manage. That said, developing this skillset is certainly very valuable.

The company is also filled with hardcore automotive enthusiasts, which has in many ways served the company very well, but can at times make people less willing to consider shifts in the auto industry that are being driven by non-enthusiasts. Given that GT earns much of its revenue from automakers, the lack of concern regarding this surprised me. But, I am sure that the company is full of enough smart and realistic people that it will be able to adapt to changes overtime. It is just a question as to whether how much of a role they could play in shaping the future. Further increasing the diversity of backgrounds within the company would be helpful in this area.

Advice to Management

This isn't an issue with all of management. But, be a little more open to change, whether it be to exploring shifts in the auto industry, employees' desires to pursue non-engineering focused education, or opening offices in different locations/environments. Alternatively, if you feel you are being open to change, be more willing to share your thoughts on why something isn't a good idea or shouldn't be pursued by the company.

4. "Great place to work"

Pros

Well paid, work life balance

Cons

can not think of any

5. "Good company for engineering simulation enthusiasts"

Pros

Great company to start a career in engineering simulation software. Passionate colleagues about engineering, with a strong focus on the automotive sector. Flat structure, with few levels of management. Freedom to explore different engineering and simulation models. Plenty of opportunities to work with well-known automotive companies and interesting engineering problems. Above-average pay, normal working hours, ample vacation time, and very moderate travel. Profitable company with lots of upside potential, with high employee retention rate.

Cons

Old-school management techniques, e.g. no telecommuting, rigid work schedule, few training and development opportunities. Flat structure leads to few career advancement opportunities. Upper management can be slow to adopt change.

6. "Senior Software Engineer"

I have been working at Gamma Technologies Inc. full-time

Pros

Friendly atmosphere. Really nice management.

Cons

Outdated development technologies. A lot of legacy code.

Advice to Management

More attention to code refactoring.

"Great people, great product"

Current Employee - Engineer in Westmont, IL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Westmont, IL

I have been working at Gamma Technologies Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Everyone seems to work well together and everyone makes themselves available to help when you ask.

Great product to work on. There are plenty of opportunities to make meaningful contributions. There is limited management overhead so people can actually focus on real work. There is significant freedom to work on the projects that are most interesting to you.

Cons

No flex hours, though nobody checks that I'm there exactly on time.

"Efficient, Flat Structure"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Westmont, IL

Pros

The company has a very flat structure, there are not too many levels of bosses. There's the engineers, the managers, and the owners, and that's about it.

You're able to determine your own projects. Nobody micro manages what you're working on at any given time.

Cons

Upper management can be a little old school and out of touch with the user base at times. Developing new features can sometimes create too much friction with the upper management.

Advice to Management

We're probably the most strict software company I've heard of. Most software companies have very liberal dress code, and beer in the fridge. We seem to take ourselves too seriously sometimes.

9. "Efficient"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Westmont, IL
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Westmont, IL

Pros

Smoothly run, work mainly on your own projects not caught up in red tape and meetings. Good pay.

Cons

It is a desk job...

"One of the best employers I've worked for!"

Former Employee - Applications Engineer - Valvetrain in Westmont, IL
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer - Valvetrain in Westmont, IL

I worked at Gamma Technologies Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The place to work for people with a niche for automotive engineering. Likable automotive geeks with a penchant for latest and greatest in related technology.
    Great people, good diversity, they even helped me transition into my new job with a different employer by offering flexible hours during the last few days!

Cons

Commute to work is terrible if you live close to chi town. Other than that Cons and Gamma dont get along

Advice to Management

Retain young talent