Gander Mountain Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Gander Mountain Reviews

Updated February 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great employee discount - if you like hunting and fishing (in 39 reviews)

• Great discounts in store and through vendors starting day one, enjoyable environment (in 30 reviews)

Cons

1. "Home office leadership role"

Pros

Small organization to enable quick analysis and flat organizational decision making. There are many great professionals at the home office and very honest and dedicated folks at retail.

Cons

Incompetent senior management who don't have people skills and don't have leadership skills in redefining a retail organization. Very militant and back stabbing leadership which shows in overall results and organization failure... hence bankruptcy.
    Very old school and 'good ole boy' structure.
    Stay away. Not a good resume building company. Read other employees input here. I was upper management myself and others like me had great backgrounds and input to help turn it around awhile ago but egos stand in the way here.

Advice to Management

Sell it while you can and go back to your roots of running manufacturing companies.

"Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Gander Mountain full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

product line
    sales coaching
    ability to influence SOP

Cons

questionable senior leadership priorities
    supply chain issues

3. "Low pay"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Warrington, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Warrington, PA

Pros

Good company to work for, good environment, pay is not much. Don't think anyone can making a living works there for &9.50 per hour. Many people works two or more jobs. Good employee discount program.

Cons

Pay is low, they do allow you to get unpaid time off if you put in advance.

Advice to Management

I have good management in the store, they do not make decision about pay rate.

5. "Move elsewhere"

Current Employee - Signing Specialist in Taylor, MI
    Current Employee - Signing Specialist in Taylor, MI

I have been working at Gander Mountain full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome discounts. If you can find a manager that wants to teach you and wants you to move up do it !
    PTO
    401k matches you 100% on 3%

Cons

I didn't get the training I needed because no one would send me out they only talked about it. I asked and they kept pushing me off.
    They push the credit and summits so hard. They will cut your hours or you if not making goal.
    Management doesn't talk to each other. So you have your store manager telling you something and then your zone manager telling you something completely different and then the store manager is yelling and complaining about you , when in fact no one knows what they should be doing. Rude just rude upper management except the hardline manager is great and should be store manager!!

Advice to Management

Get it together. Talk to one other. Talk to your employees like they matter. Understand not everything can get done. Understand that not everything takes 15 mins can't get done. Understand while your sitting in your office all day we are making your goals for the day ++ doing everything you have asked us to do + more. Treat them better.

6. "Decent"

Pros

Good Discounts, Great People To work for

Cons

Its retail, you work long hours for low pay and deal with the public.

7. "Depends on your view"

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Gander Mountain part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great quality of products that are easy to sell because the work so well. Easy to move up to supervisor positions. Great regular customers that you get to have conversation with

Cons

(Certain location) terrible management, higher ups wont update old computer systems/equipment. hard to get to know all the products in every department, bad employee to customer ratio, lots of robberies due to no security, too many incidents with firearms

Advice to Management

too many cons to list

8. "Getting Better"

I worked at Gander Mountain full-time

Pros

The 3Point5 training was good plus the discounts were amazing. Got to see all the new product before other companies and people. Met people with a lot of similar interests that were fun to talk to, both co-workers and customers. New management crew is a definite improvement. 180 degree flip from what it was. Over all morale is high.

Cons

Original management was inexperienced and un-organized. Major communication issues between regional and employees due to store manager putting things in his own words to get what he wanted done. Led to multiple employees quitting. Some of which came back after SM left.

Advice to Management

More attention to candidates when hiring for lead and above positions. As you know good leadership is the key to success.

9. "Apply Elsewhere"

Former Employee - Firearms Sales
    Former Employee - Firearms Sales

I worked at Gander Mountain part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was a firearms salesman, so at least I got to be around, talk about, and sell guns.

Cons

Where to start...it's retail so it had all the cons that go along with that, mainly Corporate. You have higher ups that have seemingly no idea what's going on and the store is just a number to them. Did we meet sales expectations consistently? For the most part yes. So since we met sales all the time, we were allotted the same or less hours for the employees. When we didn't meet sales, we were allotted less hours for employees because we didn't "make enough" to have a full store. On the gun counter this was really detrimental because you can only accurately and diligently handle one or two firearms transactions at once. Yet on many weekday/weekend nights (which was the shift I usually worked) there was only one or two employees who could legally sale a gun in the whole store. I often found myself in the middle of three paperwork transactions and helping another one or two customers find something in the department. In addition, there were never enough associates to man the gun counter in the day AND complete all the menial retail tasks that were required by corporate and a fast-paced retail store...so all those tasks fell on the night crew (again often times only one or two employees in the hunting department). Those poor people at the cashier station only had one person manning the front on weeknights and had to call up the one or two other people in the store to man registers. It's pretty sad when a major outdoors retailer has a fairly large store, square foot and merchandise wise, with a good amount of customers in it, with only 4-5 employees closing not counting the one manager.

In addition to the high stress and low numbers of employees...after working there for two years, with glowing reviews, I never got a raise. Corporate wouldn't allow it, and to make matters worse, we were lied to saying if you came on part time they would bump you up to full time. The hiring practices were abysmal, I recommended (and to reiterate I wasn't one of the worthless associates who didn't do anything; I got all A+ reviews by all the managers) four people to be hired when our store was hiring (which was the entire last year I worked there). None of them were hired, yet all of them were even more qualified than when I started working there. The last set of managers we had at our store were horrendous, they put the majority of their work on the supervisors who were all under 25/26 years old who did the best they could but probably were generally unqualified for a supervisor position. Looking back these were the main problems, which exacerbated the minor occurrences and instances that popped up seemingly every shift that set off more than a few employees from quitting on the spot.

Advice to Management

No advice can really be given to managers, there's a reason the company just filed for bankruptcy, find a new company while you can with a better Corporate.

10. "Good jobs for entry level managers"

Current Employee - Zone Supervisor - Firearms in Tonawanda, NY
    Current Employee - Zone Supervisor - Firearms in Tonawanda, NY

I have been working at Gander Mountain full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company has a very good discount program with outdoor products and firearms. Excellent store level management. Good opportunities for in store advancement.

Cons

Understaffed at times. Hard to find associates that want to work in a sales environment over a service environment with minimal compensation. Typically 95% of the team is part time.

Advice to Management

Add additional inventory for shooting sports. Add more full time associates.

11. "Horrible"

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Gander Mountain part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pro was they worked with my school schedule

Cons

Management was pathetically horrible.