Gander Outdoors Fishing Sales Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

Gander Outdoors Fishing Sales Associate Reviews

Found 10 reviews

2.8
Marcus A. Lemonis
  1. "Fishing and Firearms Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Fishing Sales Associate in North Charleston, SC

I worked at Gander Outdoors part-time for more than a year

Pros

It was a fun summer job and the North Charleston location is filled with awesome people I would suggest it to anyone looking for retail employment.

Cons

Planograms suck, though that is the nature of retail. Hours were inconsistent, however, I am fairly certain you can work that out with management

Gander Outdoors2016-06-02

"Fishing Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Fishing Sales Associate

I worked at Gander Outdoors part-time for more than a year

Pros

Working environment was fairly laid back, and the job was not difficult.

Cons

Management cared more about selling summit protection plans and credit cards rather than the actual outdoor equipment. It didn't matter how good of a salesman you were, if you didn't constantly push credit cards and protection plans on the customers then you would lose hours. Gander filed bankruptcy not long after I left.

Advice to Management

Worry more about satisfying the customer's needs rather than only reaching the corporate quota for credit cards and protection plans.

Gander Outdoors2018-06-19

"Enterprise full of snakes"

Former Employee - Fishing Sales Associate in Johnson City, NY

I worked at Gander Outdoors part-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Discounts on products, working and talk to customer that share similar interests and enjoy the outdoors.

Cons

No benefits, being told one thing and then promoting from outside, hard work that isn't appreciated

Advice to Management

Promote those who work hard and want to stay with the company. Actually hire associate that are familiar with the product.

Gander Outdoors2016-10-06
    • "Gander life"

I have been working at Gander Outdoors

Pros

Great people who care about the outdoors

Cons

I sell so many credits and summits that entire company's don't like to shop there because we are told to push fit so hard credits and summits should be an after thought and added extra

Advice to Management

Don't have so many credits sales and make the employee get there hands held so we can go in receiving to do our jobs your wasting my time and yours and your loosing good employees because of it . So get your stuff together it's many things you can improve on and pay your employees better because good employees leave because of pay

Gander Outdoors2016-06-29
    • "Fishing Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Fishing Sales Associate in Algonquin, IL

I worked at Gander Outdoors part-time for more than a year

Pros

Employee discount Meeting customers with similar interests Meeting coworkers with similar interests Learning new techniques through customers and coworkers

Cons

The management is terrible. Unfair time off granted. Not willing to consider personal circumstances. All about making money. Not about employees.

Advice to Management

If I had to give advice to the Gander management I was under in Algonquin, IL it would be to lighten up and accept that you might be flawed. The management was terrible. Each manager acted as though they were better than everyone else.

Gander Outdoors2015-11-19

"Sales associate"

Former Employee - Fishing Sales Associate in Mooresville, NC

I worked at Gander Outdoors

Pros

There are none. The store I worked at had horrible management because the corporate management blames all their problems on the store management and employee theft. When all there problems are really a result of bad corporate policies being forced on to employees or else.

Cons

The store credit card is horrible and if the manager will not write people up for pushing the crappy credit card then corporate fires the store manager. If you do not sell at least one customer a month a credit card , you get wrote up. I was a fishing associate and because of their policies the store has not had competent manager in the fishing department for so long , I could not even find the fishing supplies people...

Advice to Management

My advice is to David Pratt. Retire you suck.

Gander Outdoors2015-07-16

"It's a fun and relaxed work environment."

I have been working at Gander Outdoors

Pros

The best thing about working for Gander is the work environment. All of your coworkers are very friendly and get along. Work is not hard, it's your typical retail job.

Cons

Some of the cons are the focus on credits and summits. They seem to be the main basis your performance is evaluated on. I think the company could greatly improve through better marketing, more efficient software applications, and better target market recognition.

Advice to Management

I think Gander Mountain's mission is great, and I enjoy working for the company. I do fear that they are heading down a dark road. There needs to be some improvement to stay afloat to keep up with other competitors in the same industry. I think that there's a huge separation between district and store level management that creates miscommunication and lost sales opportunities.

Gander Outdoors2015-02-19

"Avoid this black hole company."

Current Employee - Fishing Sales Associate in Lake Mary, FL

I have been working at Gander Outdoors part-time for more than a year

Pros

Cool co-workers. Flexible hours. Thats about it.

Cons

Amount of money you make isn't enough to make the discount matter. CEO only cares about his helicopter and his jet, and is so out of touch with the outdoors industry. Upper management is just sorry. The credit card system is a joke...no one wants another credit card. Summit plans cause more headache then they are worth. Camping has turned into a house gift department. Summits/Credits are way more important than an employee...

Advice to Management

Respect your employees who know a thing or two about what it is means to "live outdoors" as your silly slogan states.

Gander Outdoors2014-07-24

"Fun job and people, really low pay, disorganized"

Former Employee - Fishing Sales Associate in Hermantown, MN

I worked at Gander Outdoors part-time for more than 2 years

Pros

People were to fun to work with for the most part. Discounts were nice.

Cons

Low pay- maybe $7.70 an hour as an associate. Expected to get customers to apply for credit cards. Corporate seems disconnected from retail locations.

Advice to Management

Improve inventory and logistics systems! We would run out of popular baits by May, then get truckloads of lifejackets and never get the popular products back in stock. Fishing equipment is highly specific to region, and it didn't seem like that was taken into account.

Gander Outdoors2014-06-06
    • "Typical retail job, lack of support from management on all levels"

I have been working at Gander Outdoors part-time for more than a year

Pros

great discounts and fun products to work with. it was also alot of fun to help customers get setup with the products they need for a

Cons

it seems like they are beginning to move away from quality products and getting the sales associates to push lower quality products where they make a higher margin. the weekly ads make working here a nightmare many of the ads have mistakes with the wrong item pictured and you have to correct customers on what the issue s which can be a major issue

Advice to Management

some of the managers at my store were very helpful but it was not a consistent occurrence and it wasnt always their fault. staffing was always a problem at my store and that could really only be blamed on base camp for not giving the store enough payroll to support an appropriate staff

Gander Outdoors2014-06-17