Gander Outdoors "credit cards" Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 6, 2019

Found 743 reviews

2.8
Marcus A. Lemonis

"Ok, but then everything went to pot..."

Former Employee - Customer Service and BATF Associate in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Gander Outdoors part-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved my co-workers. I loved my managers. The discount was pretty good, and I enjoyed the customers for the most part. Christmas season was terrible, but that's retail.

Cons

They are SO adamant about pushing credit cards, pro-plans, summit warranties, etc. They ended up clearing out our entire store because of this. No one I knew when I worked there is still there.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like people. Our manager might not be there anymore, but I think that's a mistake. He was a great leader and a genuinely great human being.

Gander Outdoors2016-04-08

"Customer Service"

I have been working at Gander Outdoors part-time for more than a year

Pros

Gander Mountain is very considerate and willing to work with various schedules, but if something comes up, not many people are able to take your shift.

Cons

No focus on how the employees are treated and only care about metrics and not the customers even coming back. I have lead the store in protection plans and credit cards multiple times and never got a raise. (Also been there 2 years)

Advice to Management

Learn how to lead and not yell at employees. The main concept of a manager is to lead towards goals not make people fear for their job because they only got 10 credit cards in a week instead of 11.

Gander Outdoors2016-04-16

"Laughable"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Paducah, KY

I worked at Gander Outdoors part-time for more than a year

Pros

The Discount is the ONLY reason I stayed, you're able to buy firearms and 40-60 percent below MSRP.

Cons

Terrible hours. Communication, What communication? I received several calls when the managment would claim I was on the updated schedule when I had checked it the day before and I wasn't on it. If you work hard and do your best they'll use you. They push credit cards like its going out of style. Your hours are based on how many credit cards you can get approved during your shifts. Management is laughable at best...

Advice to Management

Just quit, If you listened to the needs of your employees you wouldn't lose so many.

Gander Outdoors2016-05-06

"Fair Job"

I worked at Gander Outdoors part-time

Pros

Overall, their were lots of enjoyable people I worked with. The discount they offer is very nice and they are fairly flexible most of the time

Cons

There is way too much emphasis on credit cards and protection plans. Some managers were more of team destroyers rather than team builders

Advice to Management

Relax on the metrics. Employees are more likely to try if they are rewarded rather than punished. Cutting hours for not reaching metrics is extreme and creates a negative environment.

Gander Outdoors2016-03-14
  5. "firearms"

Former Employee - Firearms Sales in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Gander Outdoors part-time for more than a year

Pros

some discounts on firearms once you do tests on the brands

Cons

everyone looking just to make an extra buck and steal sales, credit card app they try to push and if you don't get enough you get fired, every thing is over priced

Advice to Management

don't treat people as a number

Gander Outdoors2016-04-23
  6. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Fishing in Chambersburg, PA

I worked at Gander Outdoors part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Staff, clean store, reasonable hours

Cons

Hard push to sell credit cards and protection plans

Gander Outdoors2016-03-10

"Management is a joke, store manager could care less if you are there or not, everyone is replaceable in his eyes."

Former Employee - Softlines Zone Manager in Montgomery, AL

I worked at Gander Outdoors full-time for more than a year

Pros

Discounts, 3 point 5 training and discounts, commissions, part time flexibility

Cons

SM is lost. They only care about credit cards and pro plans. This is not a place for a career, watched to many good employees leave. Upper management does not value the truth of how the store is being ran into the ground.

Advice to Management

When multiple associates bring the same issues on how bad the store is being ran it is your job to make sure you take their concerns to heart or all the good ones will leave!

Gander Outdoors2016-03-23

"Friendly family ridiculous credit card"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Gander Outdoors part-time for more than a year

Pros

Co workers are awesome. The employee discount is great. Lots of perks as far as discounts on clothing and gear.

Cons

Not a lot of training. Systems are old and don't fiction well. It's sink or swim a lot of the time. No employee benefits unless you're full time and they do everything they can to keep you under 20 hours. They strongly push you to sell the credit cards and summit protection plans. The protection plans are awesome, the company really backs their products. However the interest rate on the credit card it ridiculous 16%...

Advice to Management

Don't cover up empty pegs with other product. Let corporate see their ordering system is jacked up.

Gander Outdoors2016-02-28

"My time with Gander Mountain with three diffrent job titles"

I worked at Gander Outdoors part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

3point5 discounts and store discounts Co-workers Nothing else.

Cons

-When working for Gander Mountain, you are expected to sell the hell out of credit cards which has 25% interest, no way to pay in-store and charges fees for all methods of payment and summit protection plans. You as an employee are expected to make 10 credits and 25 summits a week by company standards, but daily sales goals given by corporate is 15 credits and 20 summits. -The pay, minimum for some couple of dollars...

Advice to Management

Fix everything above, please.

Gander Outdoors2016-03-09
    • "Firearms associate"

Former Employee - Firearms Sales

I worked at Gander Outdoors

Pros

Flexible schedules, great management team, employee discounts are great at 30% for any merchandise that is gander brand and 20% on anything else.

Cons

Prices are expensive so sales are hard to make, constant push to make metrics on credit cards and insurances.

Gander Outdoors2016-02-01