Gannett Reviews in Phoenix, AZ | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Gannett CEO Bob Dickey
Bob Dickey

Cons

1. "Financial & Accounting"

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Gannett full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, encouraged to take your leverage existing skills and knowledge.

Cons

Process and controls need upgrading.

2. "Electronic Output Specials (EOP)"

Former Employee - Electronic Output Specialist (EOP) in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Electronic Output Specialist (EOP) in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Gannett full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Gannett (GIADC) has a great training in graphic design, web design, prepress. Sick days, vacation paid, holiday....Good for people who are getting started in this field and want to get experience Then after a year or two they should find something else with better pay and raises every year.

Cons

You will not get a raise.Even if your reviews are superb. You will not get a raise. If you move up to a higher paying position you will only get from 10 to 20 cent raise. You can get replaced for a robot or computer software that can replace you. They are using this now.

Advice to Management

Management appears to be finding ways to make departments workflow better. They keep changing at least 4 times a year. Finding one way should work great for years following updated marketing and software techniques.

"Even after our division was downsized, I feel very positive about Gannett"

Former Employee - Administrative Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Administrative Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Gannett (More than 8 years)

Pros

They have a diverse group of staff, and I am grateful to have worked with so many exceptional people. Overall, my workload was heavy, but having good people to work with made all the difference.

Cons

The publishing world is changing, and with publishing/media split there are a lot of staff changes and it all seems a bit chaotic. I look forward to seeing how it all unfolds.

Advice to Management

Treat all employees with respect (regardless of their level in the company), expect all staff to work hard for what they earn (not just because they have tenure), and encourage and enforce teamwork.

Gannett Response

Sep 1, 2016 – Project Manager

Thank you for such an insightful review! We completely agree with you. As we work towards reshaping our company, we are experiencing the inevitable growing pains that come with internal ... More

"Poor Management; Negative Culture; High Turnover"

Former Employee - Information Technology in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Gannett full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When I first started there, they had some of the best and most experienced managers to work for. Had a good culture and very good ideas. I really liked my job there.

Cons

Had early buyouts and lost their best and brightest. Plus the company split in two, Gannett - Publishing and Tegna - Digital/Broadcast. Hired or promoted a bunch of idiots as managers. A lot of cliques and gossip. No career opportunities unless your gay.

Advice to Management

Should have kept your best and brightest.

"Fasten your seat belt, its going to be a bumpy ride"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Gannett (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great name, great products, a reason to get up in the morning...

Cons

Impending doom and threats all of the time. Now, lots of whispering among managers and staff. Feels like they know something we don't know. Soon they say, will be special meetings….old timers here say this is "how it happened before". People are so stressed, creativity stifled, sales people crying in the hallway by the bathroom, It's Publishing Armageddon. Some of us who have been here a long time….I guess we are in denial…I haven't even bought enough of canned goods or water to survive another "Layoff". I am the face of today's Corporate America.

Advice to Management

Nothing. You wouldn't do anything even if you could. Every manager for themselves right?

7. "Good Ciompany"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Gannett full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gannett is the largest newspaper publisher in the US and offers a full range of benefits. Ethical leadership and a good work culture. All in all, a solid employer

Cons

Sometimes change happens so frequently that the details are left unsaid. Company needs to think out all the ramifications before implementation not after.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and continue to grow the core publishing business. The demise of newspapers is nor inevitable.

8. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Gannett (More than a year)

Pros

uncapped incentives, good benefits, great co-workers, good work life balance.

Cons

corporate feel. Lot of management, mid, lower, upper.

9. "Advertising Manager and Executive"

Former Employee - Multimedia Sales Executive in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Multimedia Sales Executive in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Gannett (More than a year)

Pros

Great company, people and they always provide you with the most current up to date training on digital offerings!

Cons

Advancement is difficult so make sure you constantly push and work hard!

Advice to Management

Keep looking at the people you already have!

10. "Great co-workers and direct management make all the difference"

Current Employee - Marketing in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Marketing in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Gannett full-time

Pros

Let's face it, everyone knows - even the CEO told us confidently - that print has a limited shelf-life. Up until last fall, communication from corporate to the other newspaper sites/markets was quite fragmented. Now, we're really in the loop on all the happenings at corporate and venturing down the path with them into an exciting new enterprise. And what makes it even better is the co-workers and direct management I get to interact/collaborate with on a regular basis. Even though it can be high-stress at times, everyone is still smiling, taking the workload in stride, banding together and making things work. The employees in the creative and marketing departments here in Phoenix are hard-working, want to produce quality stuff for clients/customers... and they are a lot of fun! Having experienced very poor co-worker and management relations in my previous job, I have to tell you there is no comparison. All this said, I'm grateful for this job! One thing I do have to comment on after seeing some negative comments about the lack of training and direction you receive. Look, this is a fast-paced media company and you have to take more initiative than you may be used to in order to get things done or moving forward. And if you try, believe me, there are people to help you along the way. At least that has been my experience.

Cons

Fast-paced doesn't have to be running around all the time with too many projects for one department. There is a need for objectives and strategy to drive the actions and behaviors versus having none.

Also, we could care a lot more about our customers. "Subscribers" gives off the perception as well as drives the behavior that they are just a number.

Advice to Management

Keep engaging with the local markets. We want to hear from you. Really look to see what is driving the bottom line, but please don't do it at the expense of customers.

11. "Director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Gannett full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of good people at company who are trying to make a difference is a difficult industry.

Cons

The traditional newspaper business is difficult and transition into digital age is proving very difficult for many of the long-time employees.

Advice to Management

Make the transition into digital an exciting opportunity for employees rather than a do-or-die scenario. It is possible to transition because there will always be a need for good content and watch-dog journalism. The format is changing and the company needs to expedite the transition.