Gannett Reviews | Glassdoor

Gannett CEO Bob Dickey
Bob Dickey

1,079 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I love hearing about all the cool things our Company is doing, my team members are awesome, I have an excellent work life balance (in 38 reviews)

• great people worked well together (in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance didn't exists (in 20 reviews)

• Upper management is not approachable (in 41 reviews)

1. "Director"

Pros

World class training and people. Tremendous opportunity for career advancement. USA Today network and strong local sites make for unique product offerings that deliver large scale and targeted audiences for clients.

Cons

Sites operate in silos. Gannett corporate needs to level set in markets for consistency and efficiency. Process needs to be streamlined to avoid errors and make it easier for clients to do business with us.
    Empower sites to sell across markets and into USA Today (everyone not dedicated regional type teams).

Advice to Management

Once per quarter meetings with leadership from other sites to ensure collaboration. More direction from upper management on vision and creating a path to success. Believe in the power of our network.

2. "Gannett"

I have been working at Gannett full-time

Pros

They have good benefits. Management is supportive. They do not micro manage you. As long as you put in the hard work you will be fine.

Cons

The pay isn't that great. They don't give raises. The company is tight on funds cause they are going through a transition which will take another 3-5 years.

Advice to Management

Keep trying to stay calm like the rest of us as you are. The only advice I think I could recommend to the owners of the company is keep looking for more profitable ways to boost the business model. Journalism seems to be dead, try not to bring something back from the dead. Not a good idea.

3. "Great opportunity, massive turnover rate, and Bad Upper-level management"

Current Employee - Market Research Analyst in Shreveport, LA
    Current Employee - Market Research Analyst in Shreveport, LA

I have been working at Gannett full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good compensation, autonomy, commission structure, and fun work assignments

Cons

No comment, No comment, No comment

"Awesome Team and interesting work"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in McLean, VA

I have been working at Gannett full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love hearing about all the cool things our Company is doing, my team members are awesome, I have an excellent work life balance.

Cons

Many of the internal processes and systems seem outdated, inefficient, and archaic (and sometimes non-existent). It's very difficult to complete routine tasks because we are always trying to re-invent the wheel.

Advice to Management

There are a lot of hard working employees who sometimes get overlooked - Make a better effort to recognize and reward the non-management and non-executive employees.

5. "Customer Service Rep"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Gannett full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Reasonable pay, and good benefits.

Cons

Customers are rude and very unpleasant

Advice to Management

Increase pay

6. "Competitive"

I have been working at Gannett full-time

Pros

business that really cares about growing and seeing employees succeed

Cons

they let people go a lot

7. "Shareholders over communities"

Former Employee - Senior Reporter in Salinas, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Reporter in Salinas, CA

I worked at Gannett full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Its subsidiary, The Californian, one of oldest newspapers in California.

Cons

Chronically understaffed, providing sub-par reporting to the community and exhausted journalists.

Advice to Management

Either provided the paper with the resources it needs for success or shut it down.

8. "Great Opportunities, Loose Morals"

I have been working at Gannett full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a network that encourages growth. They encourage you to learn, and push you to do your best. You always have goals to work towards, and it's very much a team atmosphere.

Cons

If there is a problem in the workplace, you better suck it up. Management and HR will listen to what's going on, but don't take action. In my specific department, HR and the president are very close friends. The president is close friends with management. I submitted a formal complaint about bullying and management creating a hostile work environment, had multiple coworkers (past and present) to back up the claim - one also submitted an additional complaint about the hostile work environment, the managers call this person a bully, but HR chose not to speak with a single person other than me and said the complaints "appear not to be ethics issues."

Advice to Management

Being stressed does not mean it's okay to throw tantrums. If there's a problem being brought to your attention by more than one person multiple times per month, something needs to be done about it. Saying, "I'm not dealing with this," is not an answer. Do your job. Take care of your team.

"Great except for the existential angst"

Current Employee - Reporter in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Reporter in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Gannett full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good local newsroom leadership, great co-workers, engaging workplace atmosphere and collegiality, managers have trust in reporters to do their work independently, the work is challenging and fun and satisfying. When you're doing this job, you feel like you're making a positive difference in the world.

Cons

No one knows how to make journalism profitable and sustainable online, particularly at the metropolitan or regional level, and Gannett is no exception. The company has tried many things and seized on new trends and industry fads, but there still is no clear outlook for the future. As fun and rewarding as the work can be, it does feel at times like we're just managing a terminal decline. Additionally, although local newsroom management is superb, they frequently must deal with dictates sent down by Gannett, whether that's layoffs or reorganizations or new performance metrics.

Advice to Management

Figure out a stable long-term business model. Improve customer service and reinvigorate the print product rather than continually shrinking it while raising prices and alienating core subscribers.

10. "News company that doesn't care for its employees"

I worked at Gannett full-time

Pros

Great coworkers, decent salary (for the field), feel like part of the big picture.

Cons

Company had quarterly layoffs out of the blue - constant fear of losing your job, benefits aren't that great, and the company only cares about numbers and clicks.

Showing 1,079 of 1,114 reviews