Gannett Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Gannett CEO Bob Dickey
Bob Dickey

1. Featured Review

"Training and development is tops!"

Current Employee - HRBP in Agana Heights, GU
    Current Employee - HRBP in Agana Heights, GU

I have been working at Gannett full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Gannett provides many training and development opportunities and options for staff who want to evolve as the company/industry does.

Cons

Not ideal company if you are looking for lifetime employment.

Advice to Management

Top down communication is improving. Keep it up.

2. "Great co-workers"

I have been working at Gannett full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Smart, talented and hard-working people.

Cons

Lack of leadership vision. No straight career path.

3. "Sr Account Executive"

Former Employee - Senior Acct Executive in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Senior Acct Executive in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gannett full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits package
    Great Clients
    Good Training

Cons

Lackluster Management
    60 hour work weeks to meet sales goals
    Understaffed for large geographical area
    No motivational / productive local management
    No diplomatic handling of leads

Advice to Management

It doesn't matter what you say, management does not listen or regard team members concerns.

5. "ISR"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Gannett full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun place to work and good environment. people are helpful and fun to be around. many incentives.

Cons

sitting in one office all day and have to maintain call goals daily, and monthly. Stressful

6. "A decent first design job"

Current Employee - Digital Media Designer in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Digital Media Designer in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Gannett full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pretty loose reign, free to listen to podcasts/music while working, take breaks when you'd like, occasional creative freedom, very nice dual screen Macs

Cons

Often there is mandatory overtime and it can be up to 12 to 15 hours a week on top of your regular 40 hour work week. This is rough for those with families or those who actually want a social life. It's also very annoying because you're always hired on as strictly nights (4 p to 12:30 a) and once you get locked into that shift it is next to impossible to get switched to a more reasonable time (i.e. ANY time in the morning). The cubicle environment can also get a little obnoxious since you all sit in one giant room together. Hard to feel creative

Advice to Management

Let employees have more say in what shift they want to work.

7. "Good place to learn some things"

Current Employee - Advanced Services Tech Support in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Advanced Services Tech Support in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Gannett full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Managers leave you alone to work your ticket queue with zero pressure. Plenty of time to chat and socialize with others.
    Great pay for the light work you do. But not very technical.

Cons

Zero micromanaging leads to some crappy employees taking advantage of the situation. Promotions happen through being liked and not through merit.
    Lack of consequences for not doing your work.

Advice to Management

Promote those who do their work, not those whom you like. Communicate better with staff about changes.

8. "Collegial, relational Scripps site in transition to Gannett"

Former Employee - Storytelling Coach in Naples, FL
    Former Employee - Storytelling Coach in Naples, FL

I worked at Gannett full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Recruited by a Scripps newsroom leader, I left academia for a mentoring opportunity with a Pulitzer Prize-winning editor as a storytelling coach (which fits well with academic background teaching writing, literary journalism, feature writing). The folks here are friendly, relational -- truly one of the nicest newsrooms I've ever worked in over 14 years. If this were earlier in my career (first 3-5 years) I'd totally have stuck around to see how it panned out. This was one of the most profitable sites in the nation still doing exemplary work with a lot of autonomy and initiative. Loved the new content management system (Presto -- pretty seamless). I love long form digital/transmedia and there are plenty of opportunities here (and great tech toys) to do it. This is my second Gannett go round and have to say this one was much better. May be hope yet. For now I'm back in academia and free-lancing as a contributing magazine editor. did make some lifelong friends who have stayed in touch. Nice.

Cons

Was blindsided when Gannett bought the company and snatched the leader I came to work for sending him to corporate a few months in.
    Lack seasoned leadership amid seismic change in a newsroom of 60 -- new editor is a peach but no previous daily experience and had only managed a weekly prior to this job, I'd led a daily newsroom of 20+ prior and metro daily teams of 15+ and felt there was little opportunity for professional growth.
    Also, it's wicked expensive to live here and the salary was $22,000 less than the last Gannett site I'd worked at (with much lower living costs)

Advice to Management

I'm 15 years into my journalism career, grad degree and was looking to take it to the next level -- no one there with more experience than I have to coach me and I'm all about growth. Find regional coaches to work with mid-career editors to hone skills, provide development.

9. "CNC machine repair"

Pros

Lots of overtime is available but is also forced at times. Exposure to many different types of machines and equipment. Air conditioned work area.

Cons

High expectations and high workload. The pay is low compared to similar employers in the same region doing comparable work. Supervision expects miracles to be worked with little support.

10. "Account Executive"

I have been working at Gannett full-time

Pros

No one is looking over your shoulder. A lot of individual work and talking with new people every day

Cons

Not a lot of guidance on how to go about handling different scenarios

11. "Key Account Executive"

Current Employee - Key Account Executive in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Key Account Executive in Salem, OR

I have been working at Gannett full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary/commission/benefits with achievable goals. Excellent coaching and supportive team environment. Easy to follow playbook makes success a possibility for anyone willing to put in the effort and hard work. Endless opportunities for growth within a stable corporate structure.

Cons

If you are looking for a quiet desk job, you won't find it here. I guarantee this is the hardest you will ever work. In my opinion, it's absolutely worth it. If you only plan on bringing 100% to the table, perhaps this isn't for you.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! The leadership and coaching is by far superior to any environment I have experienced.