Gannett Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Gannett CEO Bob Dickey
Bob Dickey

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance didn't exists (in 18 reviews)

• Upper management is not approachable (in 37 reviews)

"Marketing Coordinator"

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gannett full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free tickets to events at bridgestone.
    Got to take on a lot of responsibility

Cons

They view you as just a number.
    You will most likely not get a thank you for anything.
    They are way behind on current marketing strategies.
    Negative and scattered environment.
    Little room for advancement

Advice to Management

Actually learn about the people who work at your company and see who really works instead of seeing where you can cut cost to keep your high ups salary in tact.

"Hot Mess"

Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in Appleton, WI
    Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in Appleton, WI

I worked at Gannett full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom, client relationships, not much else

Cons

Constant changes of territory, commission structure, benefits, etc.

Advice to Management

Focus on the big picture. You are not able to keep employees because you don't try to look at things from the sales staff's point of view. You keep demanding more and more, and then providing less salary/incentives/benefits. CRM tools are great but so is actual results. Everyone is too busy to just stop and think for a second.

"No long-term vision, constant layoffs"

Former Employee - Editorial in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Editorial in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gannett full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers and a challenging work environment.

Cons

Constant layoffs and consolidations. Too many mid-level managers with little direction. The company's priorities and "initiatives" change on a whim.

"Run"

Former Employee - Sales in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Sales in Asheville, NC

I worked at Gannett full-time

Pros

Coworkers and pay can be good in areas where good pay is scarce. Still the best product in the area, but not for long.

Cons

Everything. Bloated and archaic structure. Upper management basically exists to cut as much as possible. Good reps are given impossible goals to force them out, and layoffs at the norm.

Advice to Management

None

"Not as good as you would think"

Former Employee - Digital Account Executive in Staunton, VA
    Former Employee - Digital Account Executive in Staunton, VA

I worked at Gannett full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Remote work opportunities in territory. Company provided laptop and cell phone. Lots of training and career tools available to employees

Cons

Poor management at the local level. Job description stated they needed employees to work under limited supervision- however there was daily micromanagement from local manager. Local organization had poor reputation with community which made building relationships with local businesses difficult. No commission- monthly capped bonus of $600 if goal was meant

Advice to Management

Let your account executives do what they do best- sell. Micromanaging executive level employees does not work well. This and small capped bonus is why there's such a high turnover rate

6. "Call Center Supervisor"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Gannett full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

No room for advancement or lacked annual cost of living raises.

Advice to Management

Be more proactive about changes to the newspaper industry instead of reacting after the fact.

"Leadership is terrible"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Gannett full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great experience, great to have on resume, there was a gym when I was there, and co-workers are super nice. I still keep in touch with them now.

Cons

Leadership is terrible, hard to work with, disorganized, and you better be ready to work overnight.

Advice to Management

Be a little more understanding. Plan and manage better. Work with people's schedule. Show that you care for your employees.

"Gannett Interview and Hiring Experience"

Former Employee - Procurement Analyst in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Procurement Analyst in McLean, VA

I worked at Gannett (Less than a year)

Pros

This review represents my personal experience with Gannett. The application process was very straight forward. Within a week, I received a call back to be interviewed for a Procurement Analyst position in the paper division. The initial phone interview contained standard interview questions as well as a math related question that was specific towards Procurement. I was then called back for the second on-site interview at their headquarters. I had a great interview experience with the one of the presidents in management which included a basic math question but overall felt more like a conversation (instead of a robotic back and forth question and response like some other companies do interviews). I genuinely enjoyed hearing his experience and how he started at the company young and worked his way up throughout many years (which is a good sign when someone can find progression in career growth through a company). Being in the newsprint industry, one of my concerns was where the company saw itself in the next 5-10 years especially with paper growth dying and I asked him that. He was very straight forward with his answer and explained that would be a challenge that would come with this role if choosing to accept but as long as you have a specific skill set, you will always have a place in this company. I truly appreciated that he represented the company honestly, did not try to sugar coat anything, and was an overall very intelligent interviewer to speak with. I was told they would make a final decision in a week, but the very next day, I received an offer for the position which was a really quick turnaround. I was grateful for the offer.

Cons

There was a HR specialist who I was in contact with. After given a limited time to make a final answer, I chose to accept. I later came across an unforeseen circumstance and was given an offer with another company that was more in align with my skill set. The situation was not ideal, however, I decided to turn down the offer with Gannett. In order to be professional, I called HR and my interviewer directly as soon as I could for them to continue their search. I later received an unexpected, childish email from the HR specialist (with multiple grammatical errors nonetheless):

“You call today to decline the position after you accepted almost 2 weeks ago was disappointing, but it wasn’t the first decline I have received after an acceptance and unfortunately it won’t be the last.  As professional as you tried to come across on the phone, your explanation showed no empathy and your overall decision was extremely unprofessional. We are now behind over 3 weeks in our search, not to mention the time our team spent working on your onboarding plan.  I specifically took time to talk over the role and your other interviews with you, to help you make the best decision.  I gave you every opportunity to be honest with us and instead you chose to play games.
    I hope you learn from this interview process and make better, honest choices in the future. Your reputation follows you and it’s a small world.  Integrity goes a long way.”

Unfortunately, I can understand their frustration. However, these situations happen in business and at the end of the day, it was not in my best interest to move forward. Normally, I would not choose to engage in childish behavior. However, just because someone is in a certain higher position, it does not give them the right to act in an inappropriate manner by treating others poorly and suggesting a threat towards someone’s career. Therefore, I gave the following response.

“Per our conversation, thank you for offering the position at Gannett. It has been a pleasure learning more about your company.

I gave a great deal of thought to this career opportunity and was genuinely interested in starting. Unfortunately, I had decided that it is in my best interest, as well as the company’s, to turn down your gracious job offer. As I specified on the phone, I had recently been offered another position that was unexpected and decided to accept it since I believe it is a better fit for my abilities and skill set. When Gannett extended the offer verbally, I was told by you that I would receive an annual salary in the $70s and if additional time was needed, Gannett would work with me to be flexible. However, when the written offer letter finally came out, the actual value came in on the lower end only at $70,000.00. After attempting to negotiate and asking for additional time to answer, I was told by one of the interviewers that this offer was non-negotiable and that I would not be offered any additional time. The other company offered more of a competitive salary within the range I was expecting. They extended an offer at a later time that I did not expect, however, it was a great opportunity that I could not turn down. As soon as I found out, I reached out to Gannett out of courtesy to give you a call directly and notify you so Gannett can continue their search. I am so sorry for any inconvenience my decision may cause. Unfortunately, certain circumstances happen in life that are out of one’s control. However, emailing to accuse me of playing games and threatening my reputation in my career is unprofessional behavior in HR when you are representing a company like Gannett.

Once again, I apologize for any inconvenience. I continue to be impressed with Gannett’s role in the media, and particularly with the work and time that was done.
    I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.”

In all honesty, the type of behavior that she practiced in HR when representing Gannett showed me an ugly side of that company that left a bad taste in my mouth. If anything, her response only helped reassure me that I made the right decision and that this company was not for me.

Advice to Management

HR should be more mindful on how they come across professionally through their actions.

"Decent experience for new grads"

Former Employee - Reporter in Fremont, OH
    Former Employee - Reporter in Fremont, OH

I worked at Gannett full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Hourly, so you get paid time and a half for all the overtime
    -Lots of experience and new opportunities for recent journalism graduates
    -Full benefits

Cons

-Disorganized mess with incompetent upper management
    -You're basically on call 24/7 because they're so understaffed
    -Reorgs every couple of years

Advice to Management

Listen to employees and stop restructuring the company every couple of years.

"GPS"

Current Employee - Ops in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Ops in McLean, VA

I have been working at Gannett full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Smart coworkers. Productive atmosphere.

Cons

Too many people "work from home" and take advantage of the system by treating these days more like vacation days. How can you have recruiters work from home and not be onsite when a new employee starts? When you do work from home you are to be working and available not just checking email occasionally. Gannett is a company that relies on teamwork but unfortunately many workers have become lazy.

Advice to Management

Hold your employees accountable and reward those that perform. That means coming to work each day and actually accomplishing goals. The whiners get the attention while those that work with their noses to the grindstone are taken for granted.