Gannett Reviews | Glassdoor

Gannett CEO Bob Dickey
Bob Dickey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance didn't exists (in 19 reviews)

• Upper management is not approachable (in 39 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Training and development is tops!"

Current Employee - HRBP in Agana Heights, GU
    Current Employee - HRBP in Agana Heights, GU

I have been working at Gannett full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Gannett provides many training and development opportunities and options for staff who want to evolve as the company/industry does.

Cons

Not ideal company if you are looking for lifetime employment.

Advice to Management

Top down communication is improving. Keep it up.

2. "The Glass is Half Full."

Former Employee - Senior Reporter in Lafayette, LA
    Former Employee - Senior Reporter in Lafayette, LA

Pros

Advancement, pure and simple. I recently left my third Gannett location for a new position. It was my third promotion and I guess that's the best thing about working for Gannett....advancement potential. Despite a horrid economy there are still opportunities within the company. Financially the company has held its own in the economic crisis. It hasn't been knocking at Congress' door for a bailout even though it's stock price has tumbled. It is an innovative company, attempting to balance core products with new businesses that fit the brand. Management does a decent job of communicating ---- even the bad news --- and I have always felt that my small voice could be heard.

Cons

These are very challenging times. There have been numerous job cuts and product cuts over the last 18 months. So too have their been changes in our benefits program, some good and some bad. But I blame this on the recession. Fact is there are things companies have to do in these times. For me, the company has treated me well for the last 12 years.

Advice to Management

Continue to find ways at beating this terrible set of times. Communicate with employees, tell us the good and bad news.

"Looking forward to brighter times."

Current Employee - Accounting Manager in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Accounting Manager in Cherry Hill, NJ

Pros

Ability to assume new responsibilities. I moved from one location to another in the last couple months due to a job posting, and I was very impressed with the professionalism of all those involved. I started working with several others who've been promoted as well. It's a tough marketplace right now and the company has lots of pressures, but I have found in my experience that management is well intentioned and has offered me the flexibility to succeed. That confident was rewarded with this recent promotion. I like my new workplace, my boss and management here in general. It's been a good move for me.

Cons

The business stinks, simple as that. Advertising is down and we are all working hard at doing the best we can in these difficult times. I take things a day and week at a time and hope that the economy will get better and some of that good stuff will help out our company.

Advice to Management

Comminicate with employees, and give us hope! It's tough, really tough, out there right now. I know and believe the company will succeed.

4. "Gannett provides challenging professional opportunities that come with excellent salary and benefits"

Former Employee - Advertising Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Advertising Sales Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Great products, smart management, very professional. A large company that has the financial resources to allow for a great environment.
    Challenging projects that lead to very satisfying careers. A very stable company that has varied divisions in the media world. It's a company that has been rock solid for years. Gannett is a leading international news and information company. In the United States, publishing 85 daily newspapers, including USA TODAY, and nearly 900 non-daily publications. Along with each of its daily newspapers, the company operates Internet sites offering news and advertising that is customized for the market served and integrated with its publishing operations. USA TODAY.com is one of the most popular news sites on the Web. The company is the largest newspaper publisher in the U.S

Cons

Large company syndrome; i.e., bureaucracy.
    The biggest issues are twofold: a serious economic downturn is affecting advertising in general leading to a a severe loss of ad revenue combined with the problems in the newspaper industry. These are seriously negative issues; Gannett relies on ad revenue and with readers transitioning from print to digital, there will be a significant trauma within the company until that transition is complete, which may take years. The core issue is that digital ad revenue simply does not come close to the ad revenue that was once generated by print advertisers in newspapers. Gannett's future is at stake.

Advice to Management

Grow its online audience

5. "Tough Business, lots of challenges"

Current Employee - Senior Reporter in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Reporter in Cherry Hill, NJ

Pros

People value me in and the job I do. Management gives decent feedback. Last publisher was very good, man of the people. Lots going on in our industry, but although times are tough and things have been cut we are still protecting the First Amendment with solid journalism. Good benefit package, people care about what we do and how we do it. Get lots of challenges and like the work.

Cons

The business is very difficult, especially in advertising. Philadelphia is having a tough time, so are we. Got to think it will get better as the country pulls out of the recession.

Advice to Management

More information via as many ways as possible. It's depressing in the field and we need to more about some of the good things that are going on.

6. "Great place to work, great people"

Current Employee - Executive Producer in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Executive Producer in Tampa, FL

Pros

It's a great station, good culture, hard working people. The newsroom folks work very hard and have a good time doing it.

Cons

Too many name changes, the brand changes too much.

Advice to Management

Stick with the brand you have now for longer than two years.

7. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Advertising Campaign Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Advertising Campaign Specialist in Washington, DC

Pros

Great management team.
    Informative and cutting edge discussions and forums by industry professionals.
    This company is inclined towards individual employee's growth.

Cons

The salary could always be more.

Advice to Management

I like the way the company is being run now, there is constant communication between departments, so we are always aware of what is happening.

8. "GannettLocal is a great place for young sales professionals"

Current Employee - Sales in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Gannett full-time (More than a year)

Pros

GannettLocal has undergone a complete overhaul in the past year. New management, new sales team, new vision and goals.

- Fun environment with a lot of young sales professionals
    - Monthly sales contests that make it possible to make a lot of money through spiffs
    - Solid starting salary plus unlimited potential for commission with a tiered structure
    - Driven management team with a clear vision for growth in mind
    - Backing of Gannett, giving immediate credibility to our division
    - Agency feel within a very large company

Cons

- Still behind in terms of providing solid sales tools in terms of current client proof of performance, case studies, etc.
    - Technology and equipment is outdated (computers, phones, chairs, etc.)
    - Massive growth divided teams between three separate offices making it difficult to build a consistent culture

Advice to Management

Continue to work towards providing sales teams with more tools to make the sale easier

9. "Great people"

Former Employee - Single Copy Clekr in East Brunswick, NJ
    Former Employee - Single Copy Clekr in East Brunswick, NJ

I worked at Gannett full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My hours were flexible if needed be. It was a newspaper so was a very interesting position. I really miss it.

Cons

I have no Cons about this place of employment.

Advice to Management

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to work for you.

"Great opportunity"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Montgomery, AL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Montgomery, AL

I have been working at Gannett full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Extensive training, support and sales tools

Cons

None - This is a great company to work for!

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Showing 986 of 1,018 reviews