Cover image for Gannett

3.1
Gannett CEO Mike Reed
Mike Reed

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great people to work with that want to accomplish tasks and see the business be successful(in 164 reviews)
  • "It offers good benefits and has a very strong financial base.(in 147 reviews)
  • "Great coworkers and peers.(in 66 reviews)
  • "Good work / life balance(in 47 reviews)
  • "good work environment and cowrkers(in 26 reviews)
Cons
  • "Corporate office makes the majority of decisions and local management has to execute those decisions without regard to any local input.(in 133 reviews)
  • "The pay is low compared to similar employers in the same region doing comparable work.(in 126 reviews)
  • "Constant layoffs and furloughs while top brass rake in bonuses.(in 100 reviews)
  • "1. Upper Management determines that something needs to be improved and formulates an ill(in 51 reviews)
  • "Salaries are low and not competitive(in 41 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Gannett and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years
    Featured Review

Great Sales Management Training

Feb 21, 2022 - Sales Leader in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great sales management training and growth opportunities.

Cons

Top-down direction leaves little room for creative problem solving.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee

My review

Sep 17, 2022 - Regional Account Executive
    Business Outlook

Pros

Leadership and management are good.

Cons

downsizing in the near future

3. Join the Gannett team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 4.0

Solid work environment, flexible

Nov 18, 2022 - Data Analytics
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home generous time off flexibility

Cons

primary print newspaper struggling to generate digital revenue fractured leadership C-suite conflicting goals

1 person found this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

A challenging industry but a company with an amazing mission

Nov 16, 2022 - Marketing Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

One of my favorite reasons for working at this organization is truly the culture elevating the most important work that I believe we do - honest and thoughtful journalism. I work with local newsrooms and believe that (regardless of what outsiders may think), that our organization is doing it's best job to build an economic model that can work for local news. The culture within the marketing team is one of support and care. The individuals and management truly care about your mental health and happiness in your work. ERGs that foster important conversation and elevate the voices of minority groups within the organization have been a delight to participate in .

Cons

The industry is difficult because of the decline of print journalism. If you join, know that you're jumping into an industry that has been disrupted for decades, so the changes and decline may not be for the faint of heart. The attrition at the leadership level has been substantial in the last 1 year plus of my being here. The stability of the C-suite has definitely caused there to be 'reorgs' across many parts of the organization and it's tough to keep track of sometimes.

Continue reading
  6. 3.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good company for media focused people

Nov 28, 2022 - Senior Data Engineer in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good for media focused people, growing data organization

Cons

Data organization still at a nascent stage

7. 2.0
    Current Employee

A sinking ship

Nov 26, 2022 - Web Developer in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good people with eyes on the journalistic mission

Cons

Bloated and lacks vision on big picture items

8. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Happy people, low pay

Nov 11, 2022 - Copy Editor/Page Designer in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

People for the most part are helpful and cheerful

Cons

Low pay, a recent increase in deadlines recently causes a lot more stress.

9. 5.0

Loved my job

Nov 8, 2022 - Business Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

I was originally hired as a part time data entry person until we got bough from Gannett. I became a business Analyst LOVED my job, the flexibility it provided and being able to have the option to stay remote was a plus I learned so much in the 5 years I worked with Gannet. Unfortunately after the pandemic cuts were made and our division was one of them. I would definitely go back!

Cons

Lay off, too many changes after they acquired overseas

10. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Frustrated and Disappointed

Nov 22, 2022 - Sales in Green Bay, WI
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have nothing good to say about Gannett. See below:

Cons

I am very disappointed with Gannett. They gave me a large raise and in 4 months I am laid off. I do not really understand how they determine who gets laid off. They definitely do not go by seniority, or I would still be employed. I do not think the raise helped me in the end, which is terrible on their part. I wish I could give good feedback, but I have nothing good to say at this point.

Continue reading
    1 person found this review helpful
  11. 4.0

Billing

Nov 8, 2022 - Senior Account Executive
    Business Outlook

Pros

Commission and bonuses are lucrative

Cons

Billing systems and communication is lacking

Viewing 1 - 10 of 2,168 Reviews
</>Embed

Gannett Reviews FAQs

Gannett has an overall rating of 3.1 out of 5, based on over 2,269 reviews left anonymously by employees. 40% of employees would recommend working at Gannett to a friend and 31% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 3% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Gannett employees rate their compensation and benefits as 2.9 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Gannett. This rating has decreased by -4% over the last 12 months.

40% of Gannett employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Gannett 3.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.1 for culture and values and 2.8 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Gannett to be workplace, coworkers, benefits and the cons to be senior leadership, management, career development.

Popular Careers with Gannett Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at Gannett? Share Your Experiences

Gannett logo

Affiliated Companies

Gannett Careers

Cover image for Gannett

#TeamGannett isn’t just a hashtag Leaders and employees are united by a common goal, driven by a shared set of values and strengthened by...More

• Inclusion at Gannett
  • Meet #TeamGannett

Reviews by Job Title

Company Updates

150 days ago

Company News
Meet Gannett's 43 interns participating in our 2022 summer news internship program in collaboration with the Freedom Forum, Ida B. Wells Society and Meta deepening our commitment to inclusion, equity and diversity in our news coverage and initiatives. #TeamGannett #internship #diversity #equity #inclusion #journalism #hiring
Shared image - Gannett Kicks Off Summer News Internships Focused on Diversity, in Collaboration With The Freedom Forum, Ida B. Wells Society for Investigative Reporting and Meta - Gannett
www.gannett.com

172 days ago

Culture
Diana Ross, Smokey Robinson, Aretha Franklin, Jay-Z, Betty Davis and Darius Rucker. This is a small list of huge influences, diversity, and talent. These various artists and their genres have inspired a world of beautiful melodies and remarkable moments throughout time. In celebration of Black Music Month, our African American Forward employee resource group has curated a Spotify playlist. Listen to it here: https://spoti.fi/3PYUps0
Shared image

Gannett photo of: Indianapolis Star, Gannett
Gannett photo of: Arizona Republic Building
Gannett photo of: The infamous USA Today Blue Ball
Gannett photo of: Gannett HQ
Gannett photo of: Gannett/USA Today headquarters  (Photo thanks to Flickr user http://www.flickr.com/photos/jim_malone/2449704847/ All rights reserved.)

Expert Career Advice

TEGNA Logo
TEGNA

3.4

Compare

Glassdoor has 2,269 Gannett reviews submitted anonymously by Gannett employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if Gannett is right for you.