Gannett "great people" Reviews | Glassdoor

Gannett Employee Reviews about "great people"

Updated Nov 3, 2019

3.2
Gannett CEO Paul Bascobert
Paul Bascobert
Pros
  • "Great people to work with that want to accomplish tasks and see the business be successful(in 60 reviews)

• "Great work/life balance, fun staff and good compensation(in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • "Newspaper industry is a little unstable right now(in 102 reviews)

• "Upper management doesn't care about employees as much as they should/Act as we are disposable(in 51 reviews)

Reviews about "great people"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Chief People Officer"

Current Employee - Chief People Officer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Gannett full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

We are a transforming company merging old school media with our current digital world. We have 125 million uniques and we are making improvements daily. Great people to work with. A unique challenge to get us to where we need to be in the digital world.

Cons

We are still transforming, we are learning. We are three years old since we were spun out. We are a combination of 100+ years of history and a 3 year old start-up.

Gannett2018-09-24
  2. "Good while it lasted"

Former Employee - Senior Solutions Analyst

I worked at Gannett full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lots of opportunity for growth. Great knowledge base. Great people.

Cons

Constant restructuring and outsourcing makes for low morale and lots of confusion. State of the newspaper industry.

Gannett2019-11-04
  3. "Great Place to work but everywhere has challenges"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Gannett full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people, contributing to something bigger than yourself, everyday a new challenge in a positive way, many opportunities to advance or move elsewhere within the company, very generous amount of paid time off

Cons

Layoffs happen at least once a year; your job may not exist forever; constant change

Gannett2019-05-20

"Client Success Manager"

I have been working at Gannett full-time

Pros

Great people and database systems

Cons

Awful management and restructure has destroyed company moral and client retention

Gannett2018-11-29
  5. "Supervisor"

Current Employee - Client Services Supervisor in Hagatna, GU

I have been working at Gannett full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Support at many levels, great benefits, great people to work with, keep up to date on technology.

Cons

Maybe not enough control over things locally or having to rely on tech support for simple things that can't do because we don't have access.

Gannett2018-10-12

"[Gannett Digital] Ok place to work. They try hard, but there are some real flaws."

Current Employee - Gannett Digital Employee

I have been working at Gannett full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Laid back company culture, good work/life balance. Decent benefits, trending in right direction. They actually do try to make it a better place. Tons of great people work here. The tech stack embraces progression, it's not stuck in the past.

Cons

If you don't work in the D.C. office, or haven't previously, there is a significantly reduced chance of upward mobility. You and your career will be continuously ignored and de-prioritized, moving slower than everyone else. They know this is a problem and have been trying to fix it, but after all my time here I don't have any hope it's going to change. What incentive do those in power have to give it away ? Same goes for many positions/decisions across departments. If you are going to work in D.C. then you're likely ok. Also lets just say the "blameless" culture isn't actually blameless, I've seen some pretty gross things in closed door meetings, ridiculing and mocking other employees. Most people are nice and team players, but not everyone.

Gannett2018-10-14
  7. "Director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at Gannett full-time for more than a year

Pros

Open environment Within my department the management is really open and believes in work life balance Great people to work with that want to accomplish tasks and see the business be successful

Cons

Would like to see annual bonuses for all levels of employees and more competitive

Gannett2018-09-24
  8. "A great place to work!"

I have been working at Gannett full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay, good PTO, great people. Honestly, the best place I've ever worked.

Cons

Currently going through a big transition to a digital focus. It's a great thing and needs to happen, but transition can be difficult.

Gannett2018-09-24

"Up Hill Battle All the Way"

Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Gannett full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are some great people who work here, but they're underpaid and over worked. Everyone who I met in senior-level leadership are evangelists for change and strongly believe in the transformation of the company. If you're in their good graces then you're probably set, but it won't be easy.

Cons

If you're interviewing for a sales role, make sure to ask what tier the market is. Community markets tend to be smaller, the teams are scrappy and short staffed. You'll wear a lot of hats, like at a nonprofit, except you'll have way more stress. Know that you'll be competing with national salespeople who are calling on your local market accounts. The local media brands have controversial support in their communities in a lot of cases people won't do business with the local brand because things that are out of your control. Just know that your affiliation with the company in a lot of communities will just permanently shut doors to potential opportunities. Trust has been lost for many SMBs. This can be stressful to deal with, because it's not something you can control at such a local level. Lastly, expect to be in quite a few meetings for training and/or webinars. Although salaried in sales, my other sales execs frequently worked 60-80 work weeks, you're on your own for paperwork, order entry and CRM updates. Don't forget to sell and keep your clients on board for more than 6 months. Constant product changes and restructuring make it very difficult to stay focused on meeting clients needs.

Gannett2018-10-22
  10. "Freelance Contributor"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Gannett

Pros

Felt very appreciated and part of the team. Great people to work with and for!

Cons

Staff was a bit overworked.

Gannett2018-09-15