Gannett "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Gannett Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Oct 10, 2019

3.2
Gannett CEO Paul Bascobert
Paul Bascobert
Pros
  • "Great people to work with that want to accomplish tasks and see the business be successful(in 60 reviews)

• "Great work/life balance, fun staff and good compensation(in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • "Newspaper industry is a little unstable right now(in 102 reviews)

• "Upper management doesn't care about employees as much as they should/Act as we are disposable(in 51 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Account Executive"

I have been working at Gannett full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexibility Fantastic Product Line Co workers

Cons

Lack of communication Inconsistency with upper management

Gannett2018-11-08

"The gloss of a big network seems nice...on the outside"

Current Employee - Senior Producer in New York, NY

I have been working at Gannett full-time for less than a year

Pros

The good things are the teammates and how they support eachother

Cons

Upper management is a huge issue. I get spoken to in extremely unprofessional ways. I have been told that I am getting a favor done by being able to come in at a normal working hour. There are several VP's that completely disregard the fact that you are a human when they speak to you. It is an extremely stressful environment when dealing with upper management. Human Resources shows extreme favoritism and has... refused to act on complaints of aggression from upper management.

Advice to Management

I suggest management remembers where they came from in their journey upwards. Be respectful to every level of employee. The lack of professionalism could cost the company a lawsuit. Be better. Follow the company mission statement. Sometimes you are the problem and not the subordinate. Positive change is healthy.

Gannett2019-10-10

"Lots of changes!"

Current Employee - Client Success Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Gannett full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great PTO and flexibility to work remotely and flex your schedule when needed.

Cons

Rapid changes while upper management tries to figure out what works in an extremely competitive industry. Unfortunately, as soon as a change is fully implemented, the flaws in the plan show and then more changes and repeat.

Advice to Management

Work with those in the field and on the ground to come up with realistic plans and changes.

Gannett2019-02-05

"Good entry level position but that's it."

Current Employee - Graphic Artist

I have been working at Gannett full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good entry level position Gain design experience in a deadline driven environment

Cons

Upper management does not care about current issues with workflow Constantly changing processes with little to no training involved Extremely disorganized as far as communication goes No pay raises or advancement opportunities

Gannett2019-02-11
  5. "Welcome to mediocrity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Neptune, NJ

I have been working at Gannett full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Parking is available, fast food nearby.

Cons

Annual Layoffs, yet no money for annual raises — dwindling market, bad middle and upper management.

Advice to Management

No design center left, call center transferring to India — time to close the Hub for cost savings to make up for the lack of revenue and lack of hitting quarterly targets.

Gannett2019-02-06

"Completely dysfunctional joke of a "company""

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Gannett full-time for less than a year

Pros

That I'm no longer there

Cons

Poor management, power struggles between middle and upper management, hostile work environment, poor onboarding process, complete lack of communication as to job expectations, completely unrealistic and unattainable quotas, games with guaranteed commission payouts during first three months of employment, not receiving the tools/resources necessary for basic execution of the job (phone scripts, word tracks,... Salesforce capabilities), complete lack of guidance and leadership, etc.

Advice to Management

Change everything or you'll have no employees to run your "company"

Gannett2019-01-18

"Good work place culture but always changing company"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in McLean, VA

I worked at Gannett full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The open, laid back and creative environment made coming to work everyday great. I actually looked forward to coming into the office. - The stand up desks, couches, pods, TV's, common rooms, in the office and around the Jones Branch building allowed me to get up and change scenery; which was especially important when working on a big project or the 3:00pm slump. - The pond and walking path was great for... walking meetings or a break to get outside with your co-workers. - The company has good company culture like holiday events, happy hours, etc. - The opportunity to work from home once a week was a motivating perk.

Cons

- No transparency from upper management about how the company is doing both physically and financially. - There were 3 large lay off's while I was there which gave a constant sense of uncertainty. - They made employees do the work of several jobs/employees instead of keeping people or hiring new employees. Completely under staffed and over worked. - There was no growth plan or clear path to move up. Even after... bringing it up to my boss and presenting her with a growth/achievement plan. She was constantly too busy to help me. - There were no training and development programs offered to me while I worked there. - No room for financial compensation and advancement.

Advice to Management

- Be transparent with employees. - Put in the time and effort to show employees that they are valued for their hard work. - Compensate employees, whether that is financially, job title change etc.

Gannett2018-11-16

"GIADC"

Current Employee - Digital Media Designer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Gannett full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

PTO is nice. Benefits are OK. Having my own desk and the freedom to personalize it is nice too.

Cons

Artists are under paid and undervalued. Our "raises" are determined by an arbitrary scale, not based on ability, proprietary knowledge, or willingness to step up. When they have increased the new hire starting wage, they have not increased veteran wages, leading to new hires making more than experienced artists that have been with the company for years. Communication from upper management is almost nonexistent.... There is also no HR representative on site, so any grievances you have must to be taken care of over email, not face to face.

Advice to Management

Get it together. Treating your employees like trash is no way to build a strong and experienced workforce.

Gannett2018-09-28

"These aren't the jobs you're looking for"

Former Employee - Digital Media Designer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Gannett full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Steady job. "OK" job for recent grads... Able to burn through podcasts quickly. That's about it.

Cons

After working for three years I can safely say it's probably the worst job I've ever worked in my life. Upper management wants the designers to be "creative" but run the department as if it were a factory churning out ads. Turnover is high. Pay is equivalent to baristas or almost any other entry level job despite requiring knowledge of HTML, CSS, and animation in ads. Haven't gotten a raise in two years even though... asking continually. Stress is compounded by constant micromanaging to hit nearly impossible benchmarks. Morale is very low and they discourage people from "talking". Always being told to "do better". Everything the employees do is calculated in a statical daily chart to the point it's difficult recognize the difference between GIADC and ESPN. Upper management/ad representatives are oblivious to what the design department has to put up with daily. From one artist to another: avoid this place like the plague. It kills the passion and determination of creative people.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to your employees. Don't hear what you want to hear and continue doing the same business practices you were doing. Being told the company is doing well and acquiring companies, but not seeing a raise in two years is discouraging. Throwing cookie parties, Olympics week, and any other "employee appreciation" events don't pay the bills.

Gannett2018-08-24
  10. "Not What I Was Expecting"

Former Employee - Telemarketer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Gannett full-time for less than a year

Pros

There was open and friendly work-space. I really enjoyed team building exercises with my colleagues and conversing with clients.

Cons

There was a huge gap between upper management and entry level employees. Though they presented themselves to be approachable managers it could not be further than the truth. I was lead by an unprofessional manager who did not pay much attention to his team as he was too busy with other tasks. This did not give a vote of confidence in our team or myself individually.

Advice to Management

Take some accountability in your employee's success or failures.

Gannett2017-12-30