Gap Inc. Reviews

Found 1,383 of over 2K reviews

3.8
Gap Inc. CEO Sonia Syngal
Sonia Syngal
Pros
  • "PTO accrual is great with solid work/life balance(in 109 reviews)

• "managers were excellent, great work environment(in 68 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Lack of work/life balance, always a smile(in 52 reviews)

• "upper management are very pushy and low payroll(in 30 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Gap Inc. and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0

Best company!

Apr 22, 2021 - Senior Web Developer (UI/User Experience/HTML/JavaScript/PHP) in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture and fantastic team members!

Cons

nothing I am very satisfied

2. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Get on a good team/department

Mar 19, 2021 - Senior Financial Analyst in Albuquerque, NM
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Growth Opportunity under the right management (all other teams seem to thrive with good management with the exception of payables and revenue) -Inventory and Leasing seem to be the happiest departments -Benefits are great -Culture is great depending on the dept -Get on a good team if you want to succeed -Community involvement is huge here which I loved -Fair compensation in the right department

Cons

-Management varies between departments -Overall certain employees who can't do their job are catered to and those who do well get more work which fosters people wanting to working inefficiently -The payables/revenue leadership at the CSSC is the worst management I've ever experienced; cliques are real in this dept and if you're not "in" good luck getting promoted or treated well; men will get promoted over women in this dept (I trained the men who were promoted and a few other women experienced the same with men who were less qualified and less experienced); highest turnover out of any other departments at the CSSC because of poor management -HR does nothing to correct bad management so the only option is to move teams or departments

3. 3.0

A miss or a hit

May 27, 2021 - Web Content Developer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is uniquely for the Frontend Web team/WCD. - Pay is decent as long as you fight for market rate. - WLB is pretty good, have time to work on my own projects. - 9 out if 10, you'll have colleagues that are friendly, kind and caring.

Cons

- Disproportionate promotions, some teams are promoted quicker because they have the budget. - Some bullying and sexist mannerisms by a manager that I observed. There's a discrepancy on how he treats male developers with respect and some authority, and female developers with mockery and some scare tactics- you can't report (so subtle, it's hard to pinpoint). - Manager who can't code will block you out meetings with functionality planning and you're left to piece out the builds with producers. - A lot of leaving you in the dark on bonuses and raises to keep you in line.

4. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Gap, Inc doesn't promote from within

Mar 29, 2021 - Contact Center Specialist in Rocklin, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The pay is good, the PTO/VTO can be very generous. They are working to improve the work environment.

Cons

If you have a job already at Gap, it is nearly impossible to move up the ladder. Gap doesn't give promotions; you have to apply for the job, and getting the job is very difficult. It is easier to get a job with Gap than getting a better job within Gap. The upper management wants Gap to be proactive to be cutting edge. Mid-level management will say, "That's the way we've always done it at Gap," and that is the end of the discussion. If you identify an issue and attempt to bring it to leadership's attention, they will tell you that you have to wait for the problem to be so bad that the customers are now all furious. There also appears to be an issue with ageism that is completely ignored. If you are an older worker, it is likely you won't get a better job. They hire older employees. They just don't think that older employees are tech-savvy enough to be in leadership.

5. 3.0

Great people, shoddy dynamic

May 25, 2021 - Sales Associate/Cashier in McDonough, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Employee Discount Flexible Hours Respectful co-workers Safe environment LGBTQ friendly (not counting interaction with customers) Understanding Managers/Staff

Cons

Disorganized and uncoordinated. Basic technology in store needs updates/fixes or entirely new equipment. Training is lackluster and scheduling is extremely poor so managers are constantly on the floor doing menial tasks. Have yet to meet a full-time employee besides store managers/leads. Difficult to get hours if you don't constantly recruit customers for loyalty program which was not disclosed until after business increased nearing the end of COVID. Was not able to set up direct deposit with GAPInc. whatsoever despite multiple attempts and other employees having the ability to do so. Was also not able to join scheduling program within the store so that I could post my shift or pick up shifts as I like: again, while other employees were able to.

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Worth the experience

Jun 8, 2021 - Senior Technical Program Manager in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

1) Flexible 2) Opportunity to learn 3) Good exposure to best practices and technologies 4)Competitive

Cons

1) Hectic schedule. Don't join unless you are ready to work hard.

7. 5.0
      Former Employee

Good for what it was

Jun 5, 2021 - Sales Associate in Jersey City, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good experience with considerate manager

Cons

Don't have really anything negative to say

8. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Amazing Company

Jun 9, 2021 - Store Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great opportunity to learn, develop and advance.

Cons

None that I can think about

9. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Gap Inc is starting to drop the ball

Apr 23, 2021 - Assistant Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

When I was hired, I was thrilled to be working for a company with values that I believe in. Gap Inc. prides itself in placing people and planet up there with profit, which was exciting to me.

Cons

During the pandemic, Gap Inc. has done NOTHING to support its field employees. We are in public every day with no extra compensation or additional time off for quarantining, vaccines, etc. Additionally, Gap just announced that it will be eliminating its Holiday Pay for field employees. When I was hired, I had six paid holidays (very important for me for a work life balance) - but Gap just announced the other day that as of May 1, 2021 that field employees will not receive paid holidays, and are still required to work 5 full days on a holiday week. I find this change disgraceful ESPECIALLY because of when and how it was announced to us. Field employees are the most important employees because without us, you don’t have your stores. Yet we have been treated like trash during this pandemic.

10. 4.0

Its Aight..

Jun 2, 2021 - Asset Protection Supervisor in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Its okay, they lost a lot of their culture over the years and now it feels like just a "job" but theyre rebuilding.

Cons

Limited opportunities and long wait for promotion.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,383 Reviews