Gap Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

Art Peck
  1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Gap Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good place to start your career. Learn many technologies across the stack

Cons

No such cons at Gap.

Gap Inc.2019-05-01

May 7, 2019Company Representative

At Gap Inc., we are devoted to the career growth and development of our employees. In fact, we're proud to say that many of our longest tenured team members got their start in fashion at one of our stores! We're happy to see this reflected in your experience.

2. "Overall a great work environment"

I worked at Gap Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of great opportunities to do great work. The industry moves quickly and it's interesting, so there's always something new happening, but at the same time management does give you time to do good work. Vibrant culture, great people, solid benefits, and an exciting industry = high job satisfaction.

Cons

As in any large company, the capacity for structure change to occur from somewhere so far up the food chain exists, and it creates a level of uncertainty that if you really like your department the way it is, maybe don't get too attached to that idea.

Gap Inc.2019-04-26

May 7, 2019Company Representative

Thank you for taking the time to leave a thoughtful review. We are happy to hear about your positive remarks about working on our team. We love hearing feedback from our current and former employees.

3. "Experience depends on who your boss is"

Former Employee - Assistant Merchant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Gap Inc. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great and fun teammates, smart coworkers

Cons

I happened to have a bad manager that was loved by leadership but hated by everyone she managed. This happens a lot at Gap, but it doesn't happen on every team.

Advice to Management

Less politics and bureaucracy

Gap Inc.2019-04-20

April 23, 2019Company Representative

We are disappointed to hear of your experience with management at Gap Inc. We understand our leaders have a significant impact on the experience of our employees. We appreciate your feedback and will keep your comments in mind as we continue to drive positive change across the company.

4. "Good company."

Current Employee - Senior Technical Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gap Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good technology stack in all areas of application development

Cons

like a small fish in a big pond. Headwinds in overall retail segment impacting company growth.

April 23, 2019Company Representative

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your experience on our team. We're thrilled to see you would recommend Gap Inc. as an employer!

5. "It’s gone downhill....RUN!!!"

Former Employee - In Tech in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Gap Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits and culture were great. I learned so much in my 4 years at Gap Inc.

Cons

Lots of office politics and bureaucratic BS. Upper management gets away with so much and HR does nothing but documents and files it away. I didn’t feel protected nor did I feel I had a voice. I felt HR was there only to protect the company and not the employees. I had nine managers during my tenure at Gap. It is difficult having to constantly adjust to a new manager’s style every few months. It’s demoralizing to employees...

Advice to Management

You need to do a better job at vetting managers and hiring them into leadership roles. A bad managerial hire can make or break a team costing the company loads of $$$. Really listen to your employees and take necessary action. Stop dragging your feet until the very last minute to do something. The best way to keep good employees is to keep them happy and allow them to grow.

Gap Inc.2019-05-24

July 2, 2019Company Representative

We appreciate hearing your thoughtful feedback and are disappointed to hear about your experience. We understand the vital role our leaders play in the experience of our employees and we are sorry to hear of your experience with management at Gap Inc. We strongly believe that each ...

6. "great if you can find a good mentor and friendly team, tough if not"

Current Employee - Associate Merchant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gap Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

comprehensive benefits, diverse teams, can move brands and departments without leaving the great Inc umbrella

Cons

employee bonuses and rewards are the first things to be cut when they are looking to improve quarterly numbers; no greater office/brand culture- it is a very corporate environment; employees are nickle and dimed in the work cafeteria instead of provided subsidized options

Advice to Management

ask for feedback more often and listen to it; less indecisiveness; fewer approvals and check-ins and circle-backs and permissions

Gap Inc.2019-05-01

May 7, 2019Company Representative

We appreciate your thorough feedback and are sorry to hear of your experience. We read all of these reviews and share relevant feedback with teams who are working to drive positive change across the company. Thank you for leaving a review.

7. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Gap Inc. part-time for less than a year

Pros

fun environment, fast-paced, great discoun

Cons

A lot of expectations while working the floor

8. "OK place to work"

Current Employee - Creative Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gap Inc. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Can be a positive experience depending on department you work under.

Cons

Constant corporate restructuring makes for an unstable environment; very limited career development for most hq employees who aren't involved with the field.

April 23, 2019Company Representative

Thank you for leaving a review. We are fully committed to the professional development of our employees. We will keep your feedback in mind as we continue to promote positive change across the company.

9. "Great company to work"

Former Employee - Business and Training Specialist

I worked at Gap Inc. full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexibility, team building, and accountability

Cons

Turnover in management, no follow through in management

Gap Inc.2019-04-04

April 11, 2019Company Representative

We're sorry to hear about your experience with management. We have always believed that Gap Inc. should be a place where all of our employees should feel welcome and supported. We work hard to activate this mission across our organization, every day.

"A great company for work/life balance"

Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Gap Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great office location, empathetic leadership, excellent work/life balance, no emails on the weekend, and ability to transition between teams and roles across a large, diverse company.

Cons

Below average pay range for the location, political culture, leadership does not always have a clear vision to execute on, lots of organizational restructuring.

Advice to Management

Spend more time understanding your employees and listening to their ideas.

Gap Inc.2019-04-08

April 11, 2019Company Representative

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We will keep these points in mind as we continue our work to improve the experience for all employees across the company.

Found 909 reviews