KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt
Logo

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Gap Inc. Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Oct 29, 2021

Found 33 of over 1,966 reviews

3.8
Gap Inc. CEO Sonia Syngal
Sonia Syngal

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great benefits and family oriented company.(in 104 reviews)
  • "Great people but there can be a lot of hierarchy and politics especially in a cross(in 92 reviews)
  • "Great Work Life Balance and pay(in 83 reviews)
  • "Good pay and dependable.(in 82 reviews)
  • "As a college student the call center position worked great for me because they had such flexible hours.(in 59 reviews)
Cons
  • "HR does nothing to correct bad management so the only option is to move teams or departments(in 56 reviews)
  • "poor leadership and constantly changing vision(in 36 reviews)
  • "Hikes are absolutely team/manager specific If Part of Good team Good manager then great growth.(in 34 reviews)
  • "Bad Upper Management and less Employee empowerment(in 25 reviews)
  • "low salary compared to other bay area companies and retailers(in 18 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Gap Inc. and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Best teaching in the moment and overall business

Jun 24, 2017 - Assistant Merchandising Manager in Miami Gardens, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Teaches you a lot more then most companies Gives great feed back to enhance in areas of opportunities overall help you make the right decision for you.

Cons

Frequent changes in upper management the tidies dress code Other then that Gap is a great way to start you career

2. 3.0
    Current Employee

n/a

Oct 26, 2021 - Gerneral Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

growth from within the company

Cons

upper management shows a lot of favoritism

3. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Terrible Experience

Oct 29, 2021 - Sales Associate/Key Holder
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible hours Decent Benefits employee discount friendly associates

Cons

Awful upper management Very caddy and no way to grow within company management can't delated tasks fairly or correctly Lack of proper training

4. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Horrible!

Mar 4, 2021 - Visual Merchandising Manager in Destin, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good discounts on some brands. That’s it. No other good things about this company.

Cons

This company needs some realignment. To focused on credit cards. That’s all they care about. There’s no communication between DM and upper management about visuals. One person wants things set one way the other wants it a different way. It’s all about preference with these people. PTO is a joke. Training videos but no actual hands on training. No work life balance. They claimed exempt on my W4 and screwed my taxes when I was hired and then blamed the GM. They do not care about theft. Shrink continues to rise but security measures are not taken seriously. Honestly it’s not worth the stress and headaches. If I could give zero stars I would.

5. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Store Environment Varies

Sep 9, 2020 - Assistant Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Business Outlook

Pros

Opportunity for growth and advancement was presented to me. On the job training.

Cons

Felt like a number at times. Covid response was attrocious and focus was solely on profits over safety. During the beginning of the pandemic, they only closed the stores due to employee and public pressure. I worked for 2 different brands within Gap Inc and I found the work environment to vary drastically based mainly on local store upper management. I had a very positive experience at my first location but a toxic work environment at my second location.

6. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

somewhat happy

Jun 18, 2020 - Associate Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

great employee discount program and benefits

Cons

upper management are very pushy and low payroll

7. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Slowly going down hill

Jan 13, 2020 - Management
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great PTO and medical benefits Employee discount is good depending on the brand you shop at for you

Cons

-Lack of product or product worth selling coming into the store -Same product year after year, nothing new to see to the regular customers that shop -Not meeting current style trend -Merchandising and promo dont match well with each other, very confusing for customers to shop -Merchandising in ways that customers have to reach over benches and tables to get product, or lift up heavy stacks of cloths/pants to grab their size -Displaying outfit ideas in front of actual product blocks customers from finding them(keep outfit ideas to mannequins only) Keep the clothing displays to a min, there isnt enough actual product to have 5 mannequins with the same pants, meaning we build one and have to take it apart later -Listen to your own customer policy or remove the policy all together, don't have one if upper management is only going to tell us to take care of the customer anyways and ignore it.

8. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Not a great company for IT

Oct 3, 2019 - Lead Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

FLEXIBLE WORK HOURS AND WORK LOCATION

Cons

Bad Upper Management and less Employee empowerment

9. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

It’s gone downhill....RUN!!!

May 24, 2019 - In Tech in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits and culture were great. I learned so much in my 4 years at Gap Inc.

Cons

Lots of office politics and bureaucratic BS. Upper management gets away with so much and HR does nothing but documents and files it away. I didn’t feel protected nor did I feel I had a voice. I felt HR was there only to protect the company and not the employees. I had nine managers during my tenure at Gap. It is difficult having to constantly adjust to a new manager’s style every few months. It’s demoralizing to employees who have been there doing the work and having to keep proving themselves to new managers especially when they have a manager who is unfamiliar with process and reluctant to learn the team’s processes. Bonuses suffer when quarterly sales goals aren’t met. Old Navy kept bonuses pretty healthy in the past so there’s lots of uncertainty after the separation worrying many employees.

3 people found this review helpful

Gap Inc. Response

Company Representative

We appreciate hearing your thoughtful feedback and are disappointed to hear about your experience. We understand the vital role our leaders play in the experience of our employees and we are sorry to hear of your experience with management at Gap Inc. We strongly believe that each member of our team deserves the proper support and guidance from our leaders. As we continue to implement resources to help our managers, we will keep your feedback in mind.

10. 3.0
    Current Employee

Overall, too much burden on managers for not enough benefits

Apr 9, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

-benefits better than most if you're part-time (401k, some health care) -pay equity

Cons

-work life balance: many are expected to do overtime especially ahead of big store visits -no PTO for part-time workers even though half of management is technically part time and are expected to work nearly full time -constant restructuring of upper management -too much pressure and work expected out of only a few people leading a store

Gap Inc. Response

Company Representative

We appreciate hearing your feedback about working on our team. We read all of these reviews and share feedback like this with relevant teams as we continue to improve the employee experience for all.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 33 Reviews