Gap Reviews in Mission Viejo, CA | Glassdoor

Art Peck
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/Life Balance is a struggle (in 100 reviews)

• Having to push Gap credit cards (in 201 reviews)

1. "Sales Associate/cashier"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Mission Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Mission Viejo, CA

I worked at Gap part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discounts at all the Gap Inc brands! I received decent raises at the yearly review which was great but I know other people were not as fortunate and they were great employees so there was no excuse. Once you had been there awhile you were able to work with out being micromanaged. I even was able to have the opportunity to train the new hires which was a great experience and good for the resume. There are plenty of opportunities to move up in the company as well!

Cons

The managers should actually be on the sales floor, especially when it's busy. The company should keep better tabs on the mangers to make sure they are actually working. Some times the pressure to get Gap cards was an unreasonable goal. Do not over work your best employees to the point where they get burnt out. Close or close early on more holidays.

Advice to Management

See cons section. Also this is for upper management do not have unrealistic goals for what the sales floor should look like when you come visit, if you visit while the store is open it will be a little messy because customers make messes. We worked during the closing shift until around 4 am making the store look "perfect" for a visit from higher ups and it still wasn't enough, put your selves in the sales associates shoes for once.

2. "Not great"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Mission Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Mission Viejo, CA

I worked at Gap part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

employee discount of 50% is awesome
    depends on managers you have at first it was great then they brought in all new managers and things went downhill FAST

Cons

Shifts were only 3hrs with on calls every time for up to 3 more hrs
    Never ever talk about moving up and I was there for 3yrs

Advice to Management

Dont yell at employees in front of customers when they are helping them

3. "I had a pretty good experience there although it was hard to move up…"

Former Employee - Customer Experience Expert in Mission Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Expert in Mission Viejo, CA

I worked at Gap part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Management pretty much listened to what you wanted and tried to help you get to where you wanted to be career wise… the environment was always a great one to work in, aside from the difficult customer here or there. Discount was awesome!

Cons

Upper management/corporate was all over the place, never gave clear direction to store managers. Impossible to move up unless you know someone. That's why I left…

Advice to Management

Be aware of what the career goals are of your store management teams! There is only so much they can do to push their careers forward if they don't know how to!

4. "okay"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Mission Viejo, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Mission Viejo, CA

Pros

Great discount and good benefits.
    Average pay for the industry, not too high, not too low.
    I can go to work in jeans

Cons

Continually changing messaging from upper management/HQ.

It is very hard to stay motivated and productive when your job roles and responsibilities are being changed every 2 months. We literally have to uproot all of our best practices and store systems every few months because of a "restructuring" or "new company direction and priorities."

Advice to Management

The addition of Art Peck as the new president of the Gap division of Gap Inc. seems to have brought some stability back to the brand. I truly hope that under the new store leadership Gap will take more market share and come back to its former status as a major player in retail.

Showing 4 of 4,028 reviews