Gap Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Art Peck

Pros
Cons
  • Work/Life Balance is a struggle (in 95 reviews)

• Having to push Gap credit cards (in 196 reviews)

1. ""But We've Always Done it That Way""

Current Contractor - Business Operations Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Business Operations Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gap as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Nice location, cafeteria, views, reasonable working hours.

Cons

I am in an extremely stagnant and dysfunctional group, all in the same jobs with no new team members for about 10 years. Their mantra is "but we've always done it that way", and they kill new ideas faster than any place I have ever seen. The group culture is so rigidly resistant to all forms of change that I think they must be destined to go the way of the dinosaurs.

Advice to Management

If you want to be lean, innovative, and competitive to survive in a tough industry, nobody should ever be allowed to fester in the same job for ten years (or even five years). No teams should be allowed to stay together without fresh blood for that long either, they become an obstruction that blocks any kind of necessary change. You need to shake things up, reallocate staffing to break up stagnant groups, and do a lot of training and cultural improvement to re-awaken the dead wood, or get rid of it.

"Your used then tossed out"

Former Employee - Merchandise Processor in Groveport, OH
    Former Employee - Merchandise Processor in Groveport, OH

I worked at Gap full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

very organized,cafeteria is awesome! For $13 it is a very easy to learn and do job.

Cons

Breaks sucked it took forever to get to the cafeteria and back and it takes almost 4 hours to get your first break(some people work better after breakfast) getting in the parking lot in the morning is sad lol! Imagine getting there 20 minutes early and clocking in late because someone forgot their ID badge. HR won't do a single thing for anyone they get to sit around all day gossiping and playing on their phones and computers. I've worked many jobs in 5 years and I was there for 3 years and I have never met a more 2 faced environment with outrageous rumors and gossip it's literally like being back in high school. They let young woman get by with harassment to guys and wear the most skimpish clothing. Good luck getting their security help ya with Any situation envolving the need to check cameras for people stalking ya following ya any where you go. You get set break times unless you work in shipping or your supervisor lets you go a certain times. I don't see how this crazy girl kept following me around then telling supervisors I was bothering her all the time it's sad! They let drugs into their warehouse lol the cleaning crew offered me some cocain just walked up to my car and asked me to do a line. I sat out on breaks and noticed gap has a ton of pot heads smoking in their cars at break.

Advice to Management

Realize who's a good employee and whose a bad one! I've seen all the good ones go and as I left I seen the most selfish two faced scums of the earth left in your hands to supervise lol good luck bet ya smoking with those get away with it all pot heads 2 XD

3. "Barely any hours and immature management"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bellport, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bellport, NY

I have been working at Gap part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a job puts very little money in my pocket not enough to pay bills or live off.

Cons

No hours, mangement has no common sense and likes to talk behind employees backs. They also talk crap about each other. They pay minimum wage. This is only a place to work if you're in high school and have no bills to play!

Advice to Management

Set realistic goals for your employees and stop talking about your co- management to the other managers and stop talking about the employees in front of and to other employees it's very unprofessional.

4. "Gap Merchandiser"

Former Employee - Gap Merchandiser in Farmington, UT
    Former Employee - Gap Merchandiser in Farmington, UT

I worked at Gap part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company Discount, Good Friends, beautiful store.

Cons

Poor corporate to store relationship, hard work for not equal compensation.

Advice to Management

treat employees better.

5. "Sales Associate/Merchant/Stock Associate (international drive) GAP OUTLET"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Merchant/Stock Associate in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Merchant/Stock Associate in Orlando, FL

I worked at Gap part-time (More than a year)

Pros

discounts on phone bill, car rentals, banana republic, and old navy. PTO after you average a certain amount of hours, UPT whenever you like, work with your school schedule.

Cons

Always short on hours even in the beginning of the week, hostile work environment.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees more, stop letting everything fall on death ears when employees have on ones with you, stop rehiring people that have been fired in the past, HR take control of the harassment issues, let ppl do the jobs they applied for without it affecting their workload, hold others accountable for creating a hostile work environment. Let ppl know that they are eligible for PTO.

6. "Terrible"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Pros

I honestly can't even think of any pros....

Cons

-push you really hard to sell credit cards
    -never was trained properly.
    -the manager obviously showed favoritism. She actually told me I can't wear my hair a certain way which was in its natural state.
    -the manager was just terrible actually. Always talked badly about customers
    -coworkers were stuck up.
    -low pay and no hours. My paycheck was literally 73 dollars once. I quit.

7. "Love the clothes, but there is a lot of toxic leadership here."

Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Leawood, KS
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Leawood, KS

I have been working at Gap (More than 3 years)

Pros

The discount. 50% off. Some of the customers are really nice. I really can not think of anything else honestly.

Cons

Unprofessional Management Team. I know for sure there are people there that should not be there. Why they are still there I have no idea.

Advice to Management

Do some firing.

"The worst company I ever worked for"

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Studio City, CA
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Studio City, CA

I worked at Gap (Less than a year)

Pros

No reasons to work for GAP. INC

Cons

Unprofessional and disrespectful. Have zero respect for you or for your time. After 10 years of experience in Retail, Gap.Inc BANANA REPUBLIC is officially the Worst place I ever worked for.

Advice to Management

Resign and find someone else to replace you.

9. "All about numbers"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Portland, OR

I worked at Gap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only pro is that the clothes are cute

Cons

You can have weeks of no hours or weeks for 35 hours being part time. Your discount is 50% which may seem like a lot but to store is 40% off all the time. If you have a gap card you'll save just as much. They barely train you on anything and expect you to know everything while only giving you 4 hours a week. There is a high pressure to get people to sign up for gap cards. For a while my manager had a meeting with every employee who didn't sell a card that week (keep in mind you were lucky to get three 4 hour shifts a week and we're usually pretty slow.) You rarely get an 8 hour shift. I mostly got 3 or 4 hour shifts. The management is truely lacking in leadership. I would describe them as a high school click. Definitely favoritism and openly talked about dislike for employees by leads and managers. Once I got a lecture from the general manager on getting my priorities straight and getting essays done because I couldn't stay passed my scheduled shift because I had a class in the morning. The store I worked at employed 2 special needs girls (very sweet worked as hard as they possibly could) and managers would take a tone with theme when they didn't understand something and would talk badly about them. I'm embarrassed to say I stayed almost two years before I was fired.

"Don't drink the kool aid"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Central location, some friendly coworkers. Employee discount is nice, but many times regular promos will discount more heavily than employee.

Cons

This company is run by old timers (read: old white males) who are out of touch with the times and don't want to take on any risks. Your opinion doesn't matter here and will fall on deaf ears.

Still running on PCs and Windows 7. Website is dated and runs on unstable in-house tools. And guess what? Mobile is JUST becoming a thing!

Archaic practices, LOTS of printing and manual labor. Company isn't doing well, hence deal driven and heavy promos. Poor work life balance and generally feels like a corporate sweatshop from 9 to 5.

Would not recommend working corporate if you are a young millennial. Corporate culture is stale and there is a lot of red tape.

Advice to Management

None.

Showing 203 of 3,936 reviews