Gap Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Art Peck

1,206 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work/Life Balance is a struggle (in 95 reviews)

• Having to push Gap credit cards (in 191 reviews)

1. "Assistant Manager Merchandising"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Gap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love what I do
    Lots of workshops and resources to help you develop
    Great Benefits and PTO
    Expands your knowledge of visual merchandising

Cons

Never enough hours to get everything done
    Work/Life Balance is a struggle
    Do lots of planning and mapping from home
    Hard to move up past the store level
    Reviews for raises don't adequately measure my work or productivity

Advice to Management

Merchandisers are unfairly reviewed! Don't measure us by Gap Card numbers or CES scores that don't reflect any of the work we do.
    If you want a 24hr new product turn around time you have to give is more hours!

2. "Too little too late"

Former Employee - Visual Merchandising Team Leader in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandising Team Leader in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Gap part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to learn various roles and tools to provide exceptional customer service.

Cons

Poor boundries around scheduling, lack of creativity, unrealistic expectations and timeframes for large projects. Too much focus on store brand card. Poor marketing direction and support.

3. "Store Associate"

Former Employee - Store Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Store Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Gap (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule and understanding managers

Cons

Low Pay, but minimum wage in NYC is now $11.00 an hour so they probably raised it.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging

5. "Designer Experience"

Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Gap full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Work/Life Balance
    Not strict when it comes to hours as long as work is done
    Overall appreciate the companies world views
    Great people within design teams
    Effort to utilize more sustainable options going forward

Cons

Merchandiser driven product
    Hyper focused so not always that creative
    We had an R & D team, but most exploratory fabrics or trims don't stay in due to cost limitations.
    Effort to include designers in initial concepts and overall print & pattern development is minimal.

Advice to Management

Work on the creative culture within the office so everyone feels apart of the process. Limit the amount of back & forth with merchandising to allow for more design empowerment.

6. "Good atmosphere, but retail sucks"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Highlands Ranch, CO

I have been working at Gap part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Good coworkers
    - Okay pay
    - Busy most of the time
    - Straightforward and simple tasks
    - Great company

Cons

- retail (folding and dealing with obnoxious customers suck)
    - A lot of emphasis on Gap cards
    - Have to stay 1-2 hours after close to close the store
    - working in Kids and Baby is the worst

Advice to Management

Put less emphasis on Gap cards

7. "Cashier"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Gap part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The discounts you get are pretty good. The environment is chill at times. It is flexible with your hours if you are part time.

Cons

The people can be rude at times but that is something that could happen anywhere else so that is not much too complain.

Advice to Management

We are people. Treat us as such. Sometimes they can be too bossy. I would like them to be nicer when there is a problem.

8. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Gap part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed helping customers. I especially enjoyed helping customer's who wanted help picking out styles and fashion advice or opinions, and getting to see that the customer was sincerely appreciative or happy with my assistance was fantastic.

Cons

The fact that your hours, pay, and really employment rely almost entirely on your success with getting customers to apply for and sign up for Gap credit cards is extremely stressful, very difficult often times, and also feels bad morally. My manager's seemed to forget I existed or forget mostly anything about my working there and what training they needed to provide or what training they thought they had already provided. I was once asked to come work register, and I had to inform them that they have never once had my trained on register and I had been working there for about two months, and they seemed confused and then surprised and one of them said they totally thought I had been trained on register and had worked on register, and I was like you definitely have not. The ability to push the Gap credit card on customers and actually be successful relies almost entirely on working register. They claim that it is possible to sell one on the floor and then almost follow and stalk the customer throughout their shopping and to just tell whoever is on register when the customer comes up that they want a Gap card. This was a unrealistic and fantastical aggressive belief they had. They had other bizarre aggressive sales strategies that wanted us to do like if we helped a customer get a dressing room or helped them pick out certain items, then to go around the store pick out items we think they would like and while they were in their dressing room and without and request for this, we should sling over the items we picked out and say we thought they would like these items and wanted to help bring some options. I thought this was basically crazy. If I was a customer and an employee did this to me I would likely leave or avoid ever coming back. I also was assigned to work almost exclusively in Gap Body, and I found out my first day within minutes how the 5 minute walkthough "training" was not training and was irresponsible for them not to have actually trained me or even provided me with basic information about the department. I had to find out with almost my first customer that we didn't have stock on the floor of their size, so I said to please wait and I would see if we had any stock elsewhere in store not knowing gap body does not keep ANY back stock, and they informed me of this as I panic asked an employee at the computer station around the corner in the dressing room. I basically then asked them what I was supposed to do then, and had to continuously keep customer's waiting and frustrated the whole day as I had to keep asking the questions of my employee that I should have been trained on before working in the first place.
    I was a seasonal employee, which meant I worked the summer and holidays, the summer was when I was hired and so I worked the summer, and after summer ended I had my last day for the summer period, and would come back for seasonal holidays going forward and summers and winter breaks, etc. I found out they had "fired" me or no longer employed me a month or two later when I went to return a pair of jeans to another location, and they employee was unable to find me in their employee database. The employee at that location felt bad and was extremely nice and helpful, but it was really upsetting to find out that at all let alone that they basically didn't tell me at all. It was so unprofessional, I will never forget it. I really wanted to do good at the job and learn register as well as on the floor and be a successful employee but they didn't seem organized or interested in that, and it was really disappointing.

Advice to Management

I would give advice to actually remember and keep up with your employees and what training they have received, and actually ensure they have or are provided adequate training. I would also advise that you ensure every employee is trained and given hours on register to allow every employee the ability to push the Gap cards they desperately wanted because getting those numbers was close to impossible without that. I would also recommend actually calling your employee and telling them they have been let go, instead of just removing them from their job in the system and company and basically leaving it to them to discover it by surprise.

9. "Pretty good fit (pun intended)"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Gap part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The management & coworkers (usually), the customers (usually), the employee discount across all gap inc brands (except athleta).

Cons

Pushing high-interest credit cards, being the only person on the floor for weekday open & mid shifts. Change in management trickles down - had a great team until GM left, the new GM prompted 3 of my store's managers and 6 regular sales associates to leave. To my knowledge, none of the managers or sales associates have been replaced yet and it's going on about a month.

Advice to Management

It's a part-time job but still a livelihood - please respect that when making scheduling decisions. Also, hiring management from within more often wouldn't hurt if you want to keep a strong staff & reduce turnover. Regular communication of store policies within and between managers and staff is also ideal.

"Fast pace, no work/life balance"

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager - Merchandising in Aventura, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager - Merchandising in Aventura, FL

I have been working at Gap full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Good benefits for full time employees
    - Strong leadership with in depth training
    - Good employee discount
    - up to 6 different levels of leadership in most stores
    - good PTO scale

Cons

- not enough resources to compete tasks
    - no work/life balance
    - required to work all holidays
    - hard to use PTO due to business needs
    - no growth in upper management

Advice to Management

Listen to the leaders in your stores, they face the customer everyday and see where the opportunities are. Listen then support.

11. "Average Job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Part-time work, little to no training needed

Cons

Negligent management, not enough hours

Showing 1,206 of 3,874 reviews