Gap Reviews | Glassdoor

Art Peck

3,906 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/Life Balance is a struggle (in 98 reviews)

• Having to push Gap credit cards (in 199 reviews)

1. "Great culture, slightly low pay"

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great leadership - Data driven culture

Cons

Pay is slightly below average for comparable work

Advice to Management

Pay more

2. "Gap has the potential to be the best place to work"

Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Casual environment and open door policies. Gap has really good benefits and provides a strong appreciation of work life balance. My leader keeps me informed and the CEO seems like he will be able to turn the business around

Cons

business has not been strong for several years. With that the value of our long term incentives like stock options are not really worth anything. Gap also can have a lot of politics between business units even though the businesses are very similar

Advice to Management

Turn the company around and make us believe in the future

3. "I absolutely love working for the Gap!"

Current Employee - General Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - General Manager in Detroit, MI

Pros

Of course, the discount! But, the people who work for the Gap make it the best. There are some great people that work for the Gap. The clothing lines have gotten better. Upper management has done a great job in hiring great designers to bring the Gap back.

Cons

I'm a GM, so I'm there more than I should be. It's not neccessarily required of me to work as much as I do. I do it because I'm a hard worker. I take pride in my store, so I feel that I should work a little more than whats required of me.

Advice to Management

Talk to the field before implementing policies or procedures. Sometimes an idea looks great on paper, but doesn't neccessarily work in real life.

4. "Gap is a great company to work for recent graduates that are trying to figure out the corporate world."

Former Employee - Merchandise Planner in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Merchandise Planner in San Francisco, CA

Pros

It is very organized, structured and has a great training program. The Gap is a good company to work for out of college. It gives you a preview of what the apparel industry is about as well as how a big company functions.

Cons

The Gap is very corporate and structured which makes it hard to advance in a short time.

Advice to Management

Provide more empowerment to the employees to make decisions.

5. "The Gap is GREAT!!!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Richmond, VA

Pros

This was my first job in High School and it was great - the coworkers were fun and I really enjoyed this experience.

Cons

None - the schedules were very flexibile and allowed me to take summer classes.

Advice to Management

I really felt like the communication was outstading - keep up the good work!

6. "Great people, great company"

Current Employee - Brand Experience Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Brand Experience Manager in Orlando, FL

Pros

I've been with the company for just over six years, and from day one, I've enjoyed every minute. Gap Inc. is truly a company that fosters creativity and individualism. Through hard-work and dedication, you can easily advance and attain the career aspirations you desire. Gap Inc. uses the latest technology, affording its employees a chance to experience the retail industry like they've never seen it. Communication with all levels of management is encouraged, and no idea is dismissed at the store-level.

Cons

While not their intention, I'm sure, sometimes senior field management, district managers and above, can sometimes present themselves coldly to those who are beneath them in the hierarchy of the company. They act superior and indifferent to the suggestions and ideas of others, especially when they vary from their own.

Advice to Management

While I wholeheartedly understand the importance of selling the brand's private label credit card, there is sometimes more emphasis put on selling the card than there is on actually selling merchandise. I think, eventually, it will be to our detriment.

7. "great place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

great discount of 50% off full price items, very respectful of time off requests and availability, great feedback from management and rewards for working hard

Cons

the customers... we stay until the store is clean and folded, so if others are slacking during the day we have to make up for it when closing. not all stores do this though.

Advice to Management

managers are well informed and very helpful at the gap. they give feedback to employees when they do a good job or when they open a gap card, or if they need to change something. most management experiences have been positive.

8. "Great Job"

Current Employee - Brand Experience Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Brand Experience Manager in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Gap is a great company to work for. I have work here for ten year, and feel like part of a bigger family.

Cons

Its hard to find cons with this company. The cons can be how flexible you need to be at all times. Not the company's fault, just the reality of working for a retailor during the recession.

Advice to Management

I would suggest they continue to keep communication open to all field workers. That, and give more information on progressing further within the company outside of the field.

9. "Gap Inc Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

For the most part, the people genuinely care about you, your growth and your career. The culture and work/life balance are second to none.

Cons

To get to the higher levels of senior management is a long and slow process. In most cases, you need a position above you to be vacated for you to move up.

Advice to Management

A more flexible promotion schedule or a structured rotational program between divisions/departments would allow for employees to develop their careers further.

10. "Loved working at Gap (corporate)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Employees are passionate about the company and it's evident in their work and attitude. It's a unique work environment that's fresh and energetic. Every day I walked into the building I was proud to be working for such a great company, and happy to work with wonderful people. I left for family/personal reasons and I truly miss working at Gap (corporate) everyday. Still in touch with most everyone I worked with. Great company!
    (ps-can't forget the great discounts! I really miss my discount card!)

Cons

Would have been nice to have some type of commuter benefit/discount for using mass transit (not sure if this has changed since I left the company)

Advice to Management

Please consider flexible schedules and more openness to telecommuting. Otherwise, I have no real complaints. Keep up the good work!

Showing 3,906 of 3,993 reviews