Gap Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3,901 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/Life Balance is a struggle (in 98 reviews)

• Having to push Gap credit cards (in 199 reviews)

1. "Good but boring work"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tannersville, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tannersville, PA

I worked at Gap part-time

Pros

Friendly workers/managers, great discounts, flexible schedule.

Cons

There were a lot of employees hired for our store so it seemed like no one got very many hours. My shifts were usually only a couple hours long.

"It was so-so for a seasonal employee"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at Gap part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed being out on the floor and learning the ins-and-outs of the POS system and how to use the register. The employee discount is really great too!

Cons

I was hired in a seasonal position (Christmas time) and would still only be scheduled one 4-hour shift per week. Eventually, I wasn't scheduled at all for weeks at a time until spring break came around when they expected me to give up my entire spring break to work 1 shift (after not putting me on the schedule at all for weeks). You get more shifts depending on how many credit cards you sell, but if you're only there for 4 hours with hardly any interaction with customers, that is pretty hard to do! When I resigned, I explained to the GM that I thought I would have more hours (at least 10-15 per week).

Advice to Management

Don't hire so many seasonal employees! It made it so hard to get any shifts, and whenever I would be scheduled shifts that I couldn't work, no one would even help cover each other.

3. "Great, friendly environment. You're treated like family."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Studio City, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Studio City, CA

I worked at Gap part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Managers are excellent. Retail can be fun. There are lots of options when it comes to shifts and responsibilities. Great hours for students.

Cons

Customers can get very rude and complicated. It can get very stressful during the holidays. But you will always have the support of your managers.

Advice to Management

You're doing an excellent job!

4. "Employee Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Kisco, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Kisco, NY

I have been working at Gap part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees are very friendly, and work as a team.

Cons

The salary was minimum wage, and did not offer health insurance.

5. "don't throw away great potential"

Former Employee - Assistant Customer Experience Manager in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Customer Experience Manager in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I worked at Gap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employee discount is wonderful! Best denim in the business (I'll always be biased). Gap really does give you the operational experience that you'll use your entire career in retail. I can't sing the phrases of their operational standards enough! I am detail oriented so the mandatory equalizing audits and fair scheduling practices were something I totally jived with.

Cons

The store manager in my particular location was very lazy within her role - and the store suffered for it. Although knowledgeable and tenured, the store productivity and sales dwindled due to her office based leadership. My experience in retail before this had been an "all hands on deck" team mentality - GAP changed that and made me realize that leaders can sometimes be impactful in super negative way.

I was in an under-performing store sales wise that had been a remodel / condensation during their time of rapid closures. This location had been taken from being a stand alone kids / baby store to integrating the adult store into it. They did not change the fixtures or refresh the interior before making this change. Children's fixtures do not support adult merchandise. It felt like we were a throw away for the company. At the time of the integration, they did not allow payroll to support a real all store meeting to aid in blending and training of the two staffs that merged into the one. So essentially I had two confused staffs, product that was unplaceable, and frustrated customers who didn't understand our lack of merchandise and training.

I was able to maintain our payroll and credit card standards during my year with gap and increase training and productivity - but there's only so much that you can do with the limited resources thrown forward by the company and your General Manager. I thought that during my time there I would be training the staff on advanced outfitting and styling, but instead I was...teaching them it's mandatory to say "hello" to people walking through the door...? Yikes.

Advice to Management

Advice to store management at this location - leave your office. Really work on that sales floor! Our job as leaders is to be the pulse of our store and keep motivation and productivity at a 10. The customers want our help, and the employees deserve our loyalty. Without them, we have nothing.

Advice to corporate - when you do these closures / condense stores --- really invest in making the teams and locations stronger. They should be given a fair chance. Imagine your favorite store merges with its counterpart, you go in and nothing's the same. The employees are confused and checked out, the displays are messy and less impactful. You're going to leave. Stores are already suffering from online sales - now we don't even stand a fair chance in the market because there's Zero investment in your merged locations.

6. "Worked seasonally for 5 years, great job for when you're in school."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Niagara Falls, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Niagara Falls, NY

I have been working at Gap part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company is really focused on equality and diversity. Very flexible with my school schedule. I get to work on a lot of different projects at work, which keeps me from losing my mind dealing with customers.

Cons

Managers can get petty and play favorites. The canadian shoppers drive me nuts.

Advice to Management

Focus on the talents of individual employees, rather than whether or not you like them personally

7. "sale associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gap (More than a year)

Pros

employee discount and nice co-workers.

Cons

no hours / poor management

8. "Assistant Manager Merchandising"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Gap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love what I do
    Lots of workshops and resources to help you develop
    Great Benefits and PTO
    Expands your knowledge of visual merchandising

Cons

Never enough hours to get everything done
    Work/Life Balance is a struggle
    Do lots of planning and mapping from home
    Hard to move up past the store level
    Reviews for raises don't adequately measure my work or productivity

Advice to Management

Merchandisers are unfairly reviewed! Don't measure us by Gap Card numbers or CES scores that don't reflect any of the work we do.
    If you want a 24hr new product turn around time you have to give is more hours!

9. "Too little too late"

Former Employee - Visual Merchandising Team Leader in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandising Team Leader in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Gap part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to learn various roles and tools to provide exceptional customer service.

Cons

Poor boundries around scheduling, lack of creativity, unrealistic expectations and timeframes for large projects. Too much focus on store brand card. Poor marketing direction and support.

10. "Sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associaate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Sales Associaate in Washington, DC

I worked at Gap part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

Lack of newness and fresh designs

Advice to Management

Treat each employee with respect.

Showing 3,901 of 3,987 reviews