Gap Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3,901 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/Life Balance is a struggle (in 98 reviews)

• Having to push Gap credit cards (in 199 reviews)

"Your used then tossed out"

Former Employee - Merchandise Processor in Groveport, OH
    Former Employee - Merchandise Processor in Groveport, OH

I worked at Gap full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

very organized,cafeteria is awesome! For $13 it is a very easy to learn and do job.

Cons

Breaks sucked it took forever to get to the cafeteria and back and it takes almost 4 hours to get your first break(some people work better after breakfast) getting in the parking lot in the morning is sad lol! Imagine getting there 20 minutes early and clocking in late because someone forgot their ID badge. HR won't do a single thing for anyone they get to sit around all day gossiping and playing on their phones and computers. I've worked many jobs in 5 years and I was there for 3 years and I have never met a more 2 faced environment with outrageous rumors and gossip it's literally like being back in high school. They let young woman get by with harassment to guys and wear the most skimpish clothing. Good luck getting their security help ya with Any situation envolving the need to check cameras for people stalking ya following ya any where you go. You get set break times unless you work in shipping or your supervisor lets you go a certain times. I don't see how this crazy girl kept following me around then telling supervisors I was bothering her all the time it's sad! They let drugs into their warehouse lol the cleaning crew offered me some cocain just walked up to my car and asked me to do a line. I sat out on breaks and noticed gap has a ton of pot heads smoking in their cars at break.

Advice to Management

Realize who's a good employee and whose a bad one! I've seen all the good ones go and as I left I seen the most selfish two faced scums of the earth left in your hands to supervise lol good luck bet ya smoking with those get away with it all pot heads 2 XD

"Design Director"

Former Employee - Art Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Art Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Gap full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay, fun work, amazing benefits

Cons

Excess hours, petty behavior, unrealistic deadlines at times

Advice to Management

Allow more freedom for creative people to move the company in new directions

3. "Great place for part-time and short shifts"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Gap part-time (More than a year)

Pros

50% offf at 2 brand stores and some discount at old navy. Great managers and co workers. Shorter shifts, rewards for doing your job welll.

Cons

High volume of customers during Holidays. Repetitive. Don't always get 25 hours every week

Advice to Management

Keep being amazing and hard working. Utc store has always had wonderful managers who know what they are doing and give advice and motive employees

4. "Pretty good fit (pun intended)"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Gap part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The management & coworkers (usually), the customers (usually), the employee discount across all gap inc brands (except athleta).

Cons

Pushing high-interest credit cards, being the only person on the floor for weekday open & mid shifts. Change in management trickles down - had a great team until GM left, the new GM prompted 3 of my store's managers and 6 regular sales associates to leave. To my knowledge, none of the managers or sales associates have been replaced yet and it's going on about a month.

Advice to Management

It's a part-time job but still a livelihood - please respect that when making scheduling decisions. Also, hiring management from within more often wouldn't hurt if you want to keep a strong staff & reduce turnover. Regular communication of store policies within and between managers and staff is also ideal.

5. "Not bad, a lot of pressure from management"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Blasdell, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Blasdell, NY

I have been working at Gap part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

50% off discount at gap, banana republic, and old navy.

Cons

You don't get a lot of hours. Part time sales associate gets about 16 hours a week. A LOT of pressure to get customers to sign up for Gap cards.

Advice to Management

Put less pressure on your employees for gap cards.

"Fast pace, no work/life balance"

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager - Merchandising in Aventura, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager - Merchandising in Aventura, FL

I have been working at Gap full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Good benefits for full time employees
    - Strong leadership with in depth training
    - Good employee discount
    - up to 6 different levels of leadership in most stores
    - good PTO scale

Cons

- not enough resources to compete tasks
    - no work/life balance
    - required to work all holidays
    - hard to use PTO due to business needs
    - no growth in upper management

Advice to Management

Listen to the leaders in your stores, they face the customer everyday and see where the opportunities are. Listen then support.

"Great Company!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Gap part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, motivated team of employees, welcoming and fairly easy to learn and get comfortable. Never have had a problem with asking off for days and they work well with my schedule because I am a college student. They stand with a lot of my values and they have great merchandise that is comfy and well made.

Cons

My schedule for the week starting on Sunday is usually put out that Thursday before. Not a lot of time to get someone to cover if I can not make a shift. Sometimes they get a little flustered because of the low amount of employees we have. Although I am only part time, it is not common that I work over 35 hours a week.

Advice to Management

Get the schedule out earlier

"Good Place to start"

Former Employee - Assistant Brand Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Brand Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Gap (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was in Brand Management for about 4 yrs. We received a great discount on all brands, met some great people and worked with customers. A good place to get acclimated to retail level branding. Some great Brand Managers to learn from. Perfect for someone wanting a past-paced environment. Great Benefits.

Cons

The management was beyond worthless. This company isn't for people looking for long-term careers. My pay was horrible from the start. The schedule they kept us on was crazy (long hours, 7 days a week, overnights, leaving work at 10pm back at six am). I did not have a life outside of my work. The number of hours you receive for staffing is about half of what you need to get any job done (correctly), which was a constant frustration. Your well being wasn't even a thought. Years of the above burns you out.

9. "Average Job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Part-time work, little to no training needed

Cons

Negligent management, not enough hours

10. "Loss Prevention"

Former Employee - Loss Prevention in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Loss Prevention in Ontario, CA

I worked at Gap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility. Nice work environment

Cons

Nice people Good hours

Advice to Management

Dont Micro Manage Treat employees with respect

Showing 3,901 of 3,987 reviews