Gap Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Gap CEO Art Peck
Art Peck

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/Life Balance is a struggle (in 101 reviews)

• Having to push Gap credit cards (in 202 reviews)

1. "Excellent first job!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gap part-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a first job, Gap has exceeded my expectations, or at least, the store I worked at did. The staff was friendly, the managers understanding, and the hours flexible. Gap also offers an excellent employee discount and other perks. Highly recommend as a first job!

Cons

Not many, but sometimes Gap can be a little unpredictable. You can come into work thinking everything is still 50% off, but then find out that corporate suddenly changed their minds that morning. Not fun to deal with customers who aren't very understanding of how things work...

2. "career gap"

Former Contractor - Web Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Web Developer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Gap as a contractor

Pros

flexible office policy.
    Decent food.
    Good work schedule.

Cons

Terrible communications. You could be jobless without the slightest clue about why it happened. Possibly it's favoritism. Possibly you don't smile enough, As a worker, you will not understand the reasons for manager dissatisfaction with any clarity on the job or even after the job is over. Any opportunity purported to offer you feedback will be rescheduled, avoided, cancelled or postponed indefinitely because, while your communications are expected to be optimal and overly generous, communications directed toward you to enhance your understanding of your own performance and ensure your success will be non-existent. This might be by design.

You'll be confronted for any workplace challenges that come as though you are wrong both in outcome as well as in intention. In short, it is a hostile work environment and the hostility is generated from above. I was advised by a friend who'd contracted there in a much higher pay grade working in a very engineering-heavy role that they are simply and unneccesarily mean.

They let me go while I was sick at home; offered up no valid reason, and left me to pick up the pieces. Didn't feel that as a person, I deserved even the dignity of understanding any improvement I could make. Reached out to the boss to find out what she was thinking, was met as had been many of my prior efforts at communication, with silence, ultimately left to find my own closure and pick up the pieces with nothing but a bitter memory of this place where I offered up my work and loyalty and did my honest best, and was discarded like a used product.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your workers. If you aren't happy with them; let them know the reasons. Speak to them in confidence and privately if they're doing something wrong. Build their trust in private, rather than break down their dignity in public. If there is some way you feel they're not cutting the mustard, let them know privately. Give them a fighting chance to fix something when you feel they're doing it wrong. Don't try to humiliate them or otherwise belittle them before their peers. That behavior is immediately destructive to the employee's morale. Ultimately, the entire team suffers for it as every other employee will fear speaking their mind in front of their peers.

3. "Culture"

Current Employee - Inventory Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance, good culture, Opportunity to try new jobs

Cons

Employees not always held accountable, easy to just skate by

"DO. NOT. WORK. HERE."

Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Gap full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Leadership cares only about maintaining status quo and building their own fiefdoms so as long as you don't challenge that, you probably won't have to do much work. So if you like work/life balance -- and by balance, I mean barely doing any work, then it's great. Also, they espouse values of equality publicly, even if they don't abide by them in practice.

Cons

See above. Also:
     - There are complaints about leadership in virtually every department.
    - There is a TOXIC culture here that is enforced through non-transparent leadership practices, an over preoccupation with inter-office politics and leadership and management who are insecure (and may not even be strong leaders or even experts in their own subject matter)
     - Many people vocalized needing to start seeing a therapist in order to maintain the stress brought on by leaders who feel threatened either by evolving business landscape or internal politics or younger (and often more talented) personnel

Advice to Management

To Gap's Board: Clean House. Anyone who is a manager or above in any department who has been there for 10+ years should be fired unless they can demonstrate that they are actually still leaders in their field in subject matter.

5. "Gap - Brief Review of Workplace"

Current Employee - Inventory Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

people are great
    decent work life balance
    flexible work schedule

Cons

not a very direct workplace

6. "GAP Inc, Project Management Analyst"

Current Employee - Project Management Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Project Management Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gap (More than a year)

Pros

Truly diverse, goal oriented, good culture, great location, good people.
    Despite the cons listed below I think it's a great company to work at.

Cons

Although there are a lot of intelligent people with great goals and achievable agendas there isn't always seamless interaction between departments. Not to say that there is infighting just assumptions that make add little speed bumps in getting projects done. With that said, I don't think this is any different in any company. It isn't that bad but occasionally frustrating.
    In addition, as a contractor I was needed to work but with all the projects I was put on, managerial staff didn't have the time to train me.

Advice to Management

Take some time to train and on-board employees. It will save a lot of frustration and

"Sr merchandiser"

Current Employee - Senior Merchandiser in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Merchandiser in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gap full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best place to work ever

Cons

Very fast paced work environment

Advice to Management

Less meetings, more white space

8. "Typical Retail Work for a Great Company"

Former Employee - Acting Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Acting Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Gap (Less than a year)

Pros

Great community of people to work with; a company that has great values and a FANTASTIC discount for them and their sister brands!

Cons

Typical retail woes: overworked, underpaid. Depending on your store, there may not be room to grow.

Advice to Management

More employee incentives...my store had monthly challenges; it would be great to have something corporate wide.

9. "sale associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gap (More than a year)

Pros

employee discount and nice co-workers.

Cons

no hours / poor management

10. "Too little too late"

Former Employee - Visual Merchandising Team Leader in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandising Team Leader in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Gap part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to learn various roles and tools to provide exceptional customer service.

Cons

Poor boundries around scheduling, lack of creativity, unrealistic expectations and timeframes for large projects. Too much focus on store brand card. Poor marketing direction and support.

Showing 405 of 4,089 reviews