Gap "credit cards" Reviews | Glassdoor

Gap Employee Reviews about "credit cards"

Updated Nov 23, 2019

3.6
Gap CEO Art Peck
Art Peck
1,039 Ratings
Pros
Cons
  • "Big emphasis in the last couple years to hard sell credit cards(in 243 reviews)

• "not enough pay for the long hours(in 136 reviews)

Reviews about "credit cards"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Definitely the best retail experience out of everyone I know."

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Gap part-time for more than a year

Pros

managers and employees at babygap were very understanding and cool, work was fun and to the point.

Cons

selling credit cards is a priority but not really a "con"

Gap2018-08-09
  2. "Decent but pushy"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I have been working at Gap part-time

Pros

Easy gig, laid back

Cons

Made you sell credit cards

Gap2019-11-23
  3. "Working at Gap"

Current Employee - Brand Associate

I have been working at Gap part-time

Pros

Good pay starting out. Employees get 50% off regular priced merchandise. Overall, it is a pretty standard retail job.

Cons

Can be inconsistent with hours especially if the store is not meeting sales goals. They also push you to convince customers to apply for the Gap credit card vs focusing on providing quality customer service.

Gap2019-11-19
  4. "Great for developing social skills and job experience"

I have been working at Gap part-time for more than a year

Pros

This company offers a great employee discount of 50% off everything. It also helped me build communication skills, sales skills, and patience. I meet all kinds of people from all divisions, whether it was race, gender, class while working here, so I have learned to work with anybody. The employees create a friendly environment as well with some exceptions.

Cons

The amount of hours you are scheduled to work for depends on the amount of money the store is making, so your schedule is always subject to change. However, you are noticed weeks in advance. Also, be aware that you will be prompted to meet a goal of selling a certain amount of Gap credit cards or reward memberships, which will be difficult if you’re not a cashier.

Gap2019-10-10
  5. "Positive Experience That Ended Poorly"

Current Employee - Gap Outlet Sales Associate in Topeka, KS

I have been working at Gap part-time for more than a year

Pros

I really loved the team that I worked with. Everybody carried their weight and there were enough people that asking for a shift to be covered was easy.

Cons

Management put a lot of pressure on selling credit cards, which drove many customers away for good. This seemed to lead to alienating more and more customers, which would ultimately cause the shutting down of the store.

Advice to Management

Focus less on credit card and more on customer relationships. You could really tell that pushing more products from customers who were already committing to buying was really frustrating for both parties in the transaction.

Gap2019-10-01
  6. "Pretty Good Company"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Gap full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Fun environment, great team mates, awesome benefits and discounts

Cons

Too much pressure to sell credit cards. The better you are at selling them, the more hours you get

Gap2019-09-06
  7. "Starter job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Gap part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Help improve on customer service skills

Cons

Pressure to get customers to apply for credit cards

Gap2019-09-14
  8. "Nice Environment"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Gap part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great discount on clothes, flexible hours, fun atmosphere,

Cons

Big emphasis in the last couple years to hard sell credit cards

Advice to Management

I would not recommend creating a leaderboard with full time and part time associates in credit card sales. Part time can rarely catch up and it creates a tense and negative working environment with unfriendly competition at times.

Gap2019-08-16

"Love hate relationship"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Gap part-time for more than a year

Pros

The company consistently sends thank you boxes with treats. They like to show you you’re appreciated. management likes to write notes in the break room to encourage you and thank you for your work When I got there, lots of our management team had been working there for 5-10 years. They were seasoned pros, all on the same page, and that made it super easy to learn the job Flexible with scheduling. Never had an... issue getting time off. Having the Shyft app is super convenient.

Cons

Lots of late nights early mornings for merchandising and shipment. Don’t feel like it’s worth it for part time retail. Been mainly working shipment for the last year and they send us way too much stuff. Constantly trying to cram things and there’s never enough room in the back for everything. They’ll also send us one small item in a huge box, SO many things we need fixed. 90% of the walkie talkies in our store... don’t work. We’re constantly wasting our time figuring out which ones do and don’t work. Same with our IPods/scanners. It’s a good day if you find one that actually works. The legacy registers are extremely outdated and need to be axed all together. Managers push us too hard on getting Gap credit cards and now bright rewards. Not everyone is good at pushing the credit card and not everyone wants one. Lots of obvious favoritism - treatment is definitely not equal. Not all employees are trained equally. There are employees who got hired at the same time I did that never got registered trained. I was told in my interview at the time that everyone was trained equally, which was a lie. Once new management stepped in (none of which, not even the GM, was hired from within the company,) things took a turn. I have a good track record. Been with the company for several years, Never call out, 100% open availability, stay late and come in on my days off and do everything thats asked but constantly feel like Im being passed up for higher opportunities. Coworkers still in high school without the availability got offered promotions and that really got to me.

Advice to Management

Focus on employee loyalty as much as you focus on customers loyalty. A couple of thank you notes on the wall in the break room and some boxes full of candy just isn’t enough. Focus on your best employees, hire and promote from within, give higher raises. That’s what’s going to drive employees to stay with the company. Invest in better tools for us to be successful.

Gap2019-08-20
  10. "Tough place to be!"

Former Employee - General Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Gap full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Product is good, closing stores that are under performing

Cons

Credit card push, running out of basics, not understanding their markets. Cold weather is not the same everywhere

Advice to Management

If you constantly push something in a market you will lose customers with the high pressure. Produce quality products and allow people to see them.

Gap2019-08-02